which streamer?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - I recently bought some Dynadio 2/7 speakers as well as a MF VDAC II. I'm playing music from a mac via USB. My amp is a MF x150. I'm finding the setup a little fiddly and wanted to find out abouut HD storage and a streamer or a HDD player. I things like the Olive 4HD exist which is expensive (is it worth it? what else would be better?) but I think a streamer and NAS might be better? I have a few questions: 1 ) What streamer would suit my set up? Something like the MF MClic, the new Simple Audio, a Naim ($$$), Marantz, Pioneer? 2) How would the DAC in the Simple Audio compare to the VDACII? I'd like to get rid of the VDACII if I get a new player. I quite like things neat... 3) Would the amp in the Simple Audio be as good as the MF X150? 4) Are there other options I should be considering? thanks in advance!

John Duncan

Hi dabarley, and welcome. The obvious place to start is a Squeezebox Touch, which I'm told has a very good DAC (I didn't try an A/B aginst other DACs when I tried one, but it sounded great on its own). You can start with the server running on your PC (which needs to be on, obv), and then move up to using a NAS.

A

Anonymous

Thanks!

Would the DAC in the squeezebox be as good as the VDACII? Would it be as good as the other options? Also that only goes up to 96K doesn't it?

John Duncan

I think so, but I can't get excited about 24/192 content on grounds of audibility or availability, so I personally wouldn't worry about that.

Choice between internal and external DAC superiority would be a personal thing, I feel, and I know that nads prefers that in the Squeezebox to that in a DACMagic (not plus). If you wanted to be assured of a streamer's hifi credentials, though, you'd be starting with the Cambridge NP30, up through the pioneers, denons and marantzes towards the one in my signature, which is very good indeed*.

This would all be at the cost of UI and functionality like Spotify though, where the Squeezebox has them all beaten.

*EDIT - apologies, the Denon should come first in that list in terms of price now really, as it's being heavily discounted.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

If you go with the cheap option and get a squeezebox you can always use your VDAC as the D/A converter.

I've got the Logitec Transporter streamer and was also using my iMac, but found that I didn't alway want to keep the mac on. So I got a simple Buffalo NAS drive that now server all my FLAC files to the transporter, very simple setup and I can use the iPhone and iPad as remotes. Using it with a LINN AV poweramp and a pair of KEF iQ10's which are Bi-amped and the system sounds very good.

For a one box solution, although a bit pricy... look at the Naim UnitiQute, or Cyrus Streamline.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
If you go with the cheap option and get a squeezebox you can always use your VDAC as the D/A converter.

I've got the Logitec Transporter streamer and was also using my iMac, but found that I didn't alway want to keep the mac on. So I got a simple Buffalo NAS drive that now server all my FLAC files to the transporter, very simple setup and I can use the iPhone and iPad as remotes. Using it with a LINN AV poweramp and a pair of KEF iQ10's which are Bi-amped and the system sounds very good.

For a one box solution, although a bit pricy... look at the Naim UnitiQute, or Cyrus Streamline.

A

Anonymous

Thanks!

What would the CA StreamMagic 6 offer over the others? how would that compare to an MClic?

John Duncan

The other whats, the streamers on my list? In some cases better DAC functionality (ie more inputs), wireless, balanced outputs, digital volume to go straight into a power amp, that sort of thing. Some others have Airplay or better screens, but lack the above. You pays your money.

Compared specifically to the Clic, you get a screen that's not as nice as the MF's (though the iPad app makes up for it, I'd say, the iPhone app less so), no iPhone/iPod USB connectivity and £600 in your pocket. Whether or not the sound quality would be better is, again, for you to decide I think.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
The other whats, the streamers on my list? In some cases better DAC functionality (ie more inputs), wireless, balanced outputs, digital volume to go straight into a power amp, that sort of thing. Some others have Airplay or better screens, but lack the above. You pays your money.

Compared specifically to the Clic, you get a screen that's not as nice as the MF's (though the iPad app makes up for it, I'd say, the iPhone app less so), no iPhone/iPod USB connectivity and £600 in your pocket. Whether or not the sound quality would be better is, again, for you to decide I think.

I'm sure you've answered this before, but does your streamer do gapless playback? A "must have" imo.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
dabarley said:
and any experience with the Simple Audio?
Probably best to reserve judgement until it's finished. Although the way that they appear to be struggling with that suggest to me either a lack of resources or expertise. IMO, you'd need to be brave or wealthy to consider one this side of Christmas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts