Which streamer....

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Is there a streamer would give sound quality close to the Audiolab MDAC?

And would it be a lot more expensive?

I love the idea of a streamer - simple and fewer boxes - but feel the airport express (controlled from iPhone) and MDAC would surely give much better quality sound with a similar function level.

A

Anonymous

If you want to simply add a streamer but already have a good DAC (like me), try something like the Squeezebox Touch in conjunction with your MDAC? I think to get a streamer with a DAC that is at least as good as the MDAC you're going to have to spend quite a bit more.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>Is there a streamer would give sound quality close to the Audiolab MDAC?>

Yes, several. You could hit the same sort of price point with a 2nd hand Squeezbox Transporter at the £600 to £700 mark.

>the airport express (controlled from iPhone) and MDAC <

The Express tops out a CD-quality (16/44.1) which would leave the MDAC under-used when there's hi-rez d/l available

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the above ideas - unfortunately, as is often my way, I have mislead you.

I have the airport express already and am trying to decide between getting an MDAC or a streamer (so I could put the airport express elsewhere in the house).

The streamer is more convenient, simpler with potentially more flexibility but I am worried will not sound as good as the MDAC. Via my iPhone, control of the airport express is as good a streamer I think, but as rightly pointed out above it is limited to CD quality. Having said that, CD quality is still brilliant on the right kit.

Ideally I am looking for a DAC of MDAC quality but which can be fed directly by ethernet rather than USB or optical. Do they exist yet?

Xanderzdad said:
Is there a streamer would give sound quality close to the Audiolab MDAC?

And would it be a lot more expensive?

I love the idea of a streamer - simple and fewer boxes - but feel the airport express (controlled from iPhone) and MDAC would surely give much better quality sound with a similar function level.

I'm going for a dem of the Marantz this afternoon and I'll report back early/middle of next week.:)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Logically, you'd expect a highly regarded £600 dedicated DAC (fed with half-decent source--?) to outperform any £600 streamer (i.e. one box streamer+built-in DAC [or even +amp?]).

But it seems there's a lot of love for these one box solutions on this forum, I'd be interested in anyone who's directly compared any of them to the SB Touch + M-DAC or similar.

A

Anonymous

SB+ (the two box version modified by @tunes) - if you can find one!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Pioneer have just launched a product called the N-50 which does as the Marantz does but without the DAB. It has Airplay, USB, digi in and out. It is too early to call the sound quality - I only hooked it up last night - but what struck me was the build quality - feels like £1000 if not more.

The Linn Sneaky DS would be my choice for sound if you do not need the USB / DAC element.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to jump on the thread here guys but i too have been looking at streamers and would be very interested in how the Pioneer sounds as i have been looking at the N-50 and also the N-30 to partner my Roksan Kandy so would be very greatful if TheHomeCinemaCentre could keep us updated on how it sounds and performs.

Thanks

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
The Pioneer N-50 certainly looks nice but I would have to assume that it doesn't sound as good as the MDAC. I would love to be wrong though as it certainly ticks the box of being an ethernet connected DAC.

I have realised that all I want is an airport express that sounds as good as the MDAC and I guess at the moment that would be fulfilled by plugging the MDAC into my AE :?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
<

The Linn Sneaky DS would be my choice for sound if you do not need the USB / DAC element.

Good to see the Sneaky being recommended by someone other than me. :shifty:

The Sneaky is a great product, and at its price range is almost a no-brainer. Of course the Majik was different, but that's also twice the price of the Sneaky

nads

acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
<

Good to see the Sneaky being recommended by someone other than me. :shifty:

The Sneaky is a great product, and at its price range is almost a no-brainer. Of course the Majik was different, but that's also twice the price of the Sneaky

The Linn Sneaky DS is not really a streamer though. As it also has an Amp integreated into it.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
nads said:
The Linn Sneaky DS is not really a streamer though. As it also has an Amp integreated into it.

I think technically it is a streamer ... with the added bonus of internal amplification if you wish to use it.

You can use the digital output to feed a DAC, or the analogue line output to feed into the pre-amp / amp of your choice.

nads

tino said:
nads said:

I think technically it is a streamer ... with the added bonus of internal amplification if you wish to use it.

You can use the digital output to feed a DAC, or the analogue line output to feed into the pre-amp / amp of your choice.
So you people are suggesting on paying for pointless addons? At £800 it sounds expensive waste of money in relation to the OPs discussion.

Ie a streamer to use with a good external DAC.

which is what I will be doing in the near future with my Touch. But then I also want to audition some phono stages.......

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I would have to agree that for my purposes (bearing in mind the other kit I have) the Linn, although good, would involve paying for a fair bit I don't need and also sacrificing the superb control offered by the iPhone remote app or DS Audio.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
I would have to agree that for my purposes (bearing in mind the other kit I have) the Linn, although good, would involve paying for a fair bit I don't need and also sacrificing the superb control offered by the iPhone remote app or DS Audio.

You wouldn't sacrifice iPhone remote control as both the Sneaky and Yamaha mentioned previously (and pretty much most players) will have iPhone apps that you can control them with.

I think both the above players would rival if not better the M-DAC DAC in terms of the quality of their analogue output. But they are not general purpose DACs so they have no digital SPDIF or USB input. Both have the ability to connect to a wired network to a uPnP server.

But with the AE + M-DAC you would still need a music player. Are you intending to use a computer/phone or separate streamer to play your music from? The overall cost of such a 3 box solution could be greater than a Sneaky DS (the Yamaha is cheaper), but more flexible in terms of other uses e.g. DAC for a CD player. It's up to you.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
Xanderzdad said:

You wouldn't sacrifice iPhone remote control as both the Sneaky and Yamaha mentioned previously (and pretty much most players) will have iPhone apps that you can control them with.

I think both the above players would rival if not better the M-DAC DAC in terms of the quality of their analogue output. But they are not general purpose DACs so they have no digital SPDIF or USB input. Both have the ability to connect to a wired network to a uPnP server.

But with the AE + M-DAC you would still need a music player. Are you intending to use a computer/phone or separate streamer to play your music from? The overall cost of such a 3 box solution could be greater than a Sneaky DS (the Yamaha is cheaper), but more flexible in terms of other uses e.g. DAC for a CD player. It's up to you.

Indeed, you can use your iphone to control the Sneaky.

The point is the usual one. You have to decide if you want a one-box solution which has the advantage of being cheaper if compared to the sum of pieces to get the same quality but you lose in flexibility. It is really up to you to decide. If you are thinking about connecting your pc, noteboox, tv or something else as well through the DAC, than it would make sense to go for a separate solution.

If, on the other hand, you will mainly stream from your NAS, the Sneaky is a great choice at that price level. And it sounds very good. The guy who showed me the sneaky was controlling it through his Ipad. Linn has a great application for iphone/Ipad.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I think both of you have given me the info I need. As you say the Sneaky or even the Yamaha could possibly sound better than the MDAC but the MDAC with an AE gives more more flexibility as I can put other sources through the MDAC.

I already have a PC and NAS both capable of outputting via airplay, but the MDAC could also be used for radio from from Sky HD box or for playing a CD via my Bluray.

If the Bluray via MDAC sounds good enough I could then sell my (very much beloved) Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD.

Thanks as I now feel a little more confident about spending £600 on a DAC.

A

Anonymous

Xanderzdad said:
I think both of you have given me the info I need. As you say the Sneaky or even the Yamaha could possibly sound better than the MDAC but the MDAC with an AE gives more more flexibility as I can put other sources through the MDAC.

I already have a PC and NAS both capable of outputting via airplay, but the MDAC could also be used for radio from from Sky HD box or for playing a CD via my Bluray.

If the Bluray via MDAC sounds good enough I could then sell my (very much beloved) Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD.

I would be interested in the idea of dropping the CDp if the bluray via dac was good enough , has anyone else followed this route? It would be a way of lowering an excessive box count.

Matt

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
matthaskell said:
I would be interested in the idea of dropping the CDp if the bluray via dac was good enough , has anyone else followed this route? It would be a way of lowering an excessive box count.

I will report back at the end of Jan when I hopefully take delivery of an MDAC.

T

the record spot

matthaskell said:
Xanderzdad said:

Matt

Yes; have used a Sony BDP-S370 and Firestone Audio Spitfire II in the past and currently occasionally use my Panasonic BDT-110 into the Onkyo's DAC. Both give excellent results.

EDIT: Caveat - the Sony transport - as you'll have seen, is a tad 'clunky' in operation. Not the fastest and the remote handset doesn't allow for direct track access, you have to use the skip/next track option. Not a deal breaker for me, but not the slickest way to go about things - an oversight by Sony IMO.

A

Anonymous

Xanderzdad said:
matthaskell said:

I will report back at the end of Jan when I hopefully take delivery of an MDAC.

That would be great

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts