Which streamer to buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
fr0g said:
In terms of functionality I have yet to see anything touch the SB.

Other than hi-res audio (which, as ani fule no is rubbish anyway) I don't think there's anything that the SB does that Sonos can't.

Possibly (I don't know much about Sonos). Lets see. Things I personally use (or have used) on my SBs

Spotify, WiMP (Its scandanavian), BBC iPlayer (radio), TuneIn radio, Deezer, Shoutcast (I use alot), Live365. Then of course they have Rhapsody and Pandora in the US.

Something else I have is an android app called Squeezeplay, that turns my phone into a squeezebox receiver. This has been useful by making Spotify gapless, although they may have updated the Android app since they fixed that on the desktop.

*edit, my SB doesn't do Hires (It's a duet), but I agree it is irrelevant.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
The_Lhc said:
fr0g said:
In terms of functionality I have yet to see anything touch the SB.

Other than hi-res audio (which, as ani fule no is rubbish anyway) I don't think there's anything that the SB does that Sonos can't.

Possibly (I don't know much about Sonos). Lets see. Things I personally use (or have used) on my SBs
Ok, this is off the top of my head:

Spotify, WiMP (Its scandanavian), BBC iPlayer (radio), TuneIn radio,

Yes.

I think so.

Shoutcast (I use alot), Live365.

No idea.

Then of course they have Rhapsody and Pandora in the US.

Yes.

Something else I have is an android app called Squeezeplay, that turns my phone into a squeezebox receiver. This has been useful by making Spotify gapless, although they may have updated the Android app since they fixed that on the desktop.

Obviously not and Sonos do not appear to want to make software only zoneplayers (I think it makes the multi-room syncing too difficult) so I wouldn't expect it.

The real advantage of Sonos is the excellent multiroom capabilities but if you don't need that SB is cheaper, Sonos also doesn't require any software running on a PC or NAS, just a basic network share, so it's more flexible from that point of view (that's the main reason I bought it initially).

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
SB sounds better from RCA output. Overall the SB is a much better unit for stand alone. Display, sound, control *, cost.

For multi room, Sonos is currently untouchable (for the £)

All in my opinion

(*the seperate Sonos controller is the exception but probably overkill for a stand alone setup)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fatman said:
SB sounds better from RCA output. Overall the SB is a much better unit for stand alone. Display, sound, control *, cost.

For multi room, Sonos is currently untouchable (for the £)

(*the seperate Sonos controller is the exception but probably overkill for a stand alone setup)

The iPhone controller is the same as the touchscreen controller (as is the Android one, minus a few features which will probably appear in the next update) and the iPad controller is excellent. As mentioned on the News page the PC and Mac controllers are getting a serious re-vamp in the next week.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Touch screen quality makes an iDevice far better than the CR200. I can't remember the last time I used the controller.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Obviously not and Sonos do not appear to want to make software only zoneplayers (I think it makes the multi-room syncing too difficult) so I wouldn't expect it.

The real advantage of Sonos is the excellent multiroom capabilities but if you don't need that SB is cheaper, Sonos also doesn't require any software running on a PC or NAS, just a basic network share, so it's more flexible from that point of view (that's the main reason I bought it initially).

To be honest, they are both great streamers, and imo a better bet than any current "Hi-fi" streamer for most of the reasons above.

I'm not sure what would be difficult with the sync tho. I have had my 2 receivers plus phone playing the same music in perfect sync (for a get-together), and often have the 2 receivers playing something different.

The extra software isn't really an issue either. It's a one-time install and then you can forget about it if you wish, although as I have a SB at my PC, I tend to use the web-interface to the server software as my main controller.

But as I said, both are great. It's a case of paying your money and making your choice.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
Crocodile said:
matthewpiano said:
Personally I think the Squeezebox approach is hard to beat
I see you've updated your sig, how are you finding the Touch? Although I'm guessing it only arrived today.

Hi Crocodile. Yes, not set it up yet but I have been using a Squeezebox Classic for some time and I've used a friend's Touch a few times. I think they are really good products. Will sort it out at the weekend and report back. Very grateful to you for sharing the voucher code, as it is something I've been after for some time but I haven't been able to stretch to it along with all the other demands on money! :)
Should using your friends ''touch'' be in the public domain ? :O

TRENDING THREADS