Which Spendor for medium room?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I am considering buying either the spendor A5 or spendor A6. My listening room is 3.3 x 4.2 meters. They will be placed 18 inches out from the long wall.

Any thoughts on which one would be better? I'm wondering if the A5 isn't a better fit for the room size...

A

Anonymous

chebby:
I would have a listen to the Spendor SA1 as well. (£1500 including dedicated stands so in the same price 'territory' as the A5's.)

Just the right size of room for them.

http://whathifi.com/Review/Spendor-SA1/

As it happens, I have SA1s in a room a bit bigger than that. I have a wee sub to help them but the placement is more of the issue than the overall room size for me.

A5 or SA1 will depend on the sound you're looking for. What I can say is that the SA1s (and I suspect the A5s) need good amplification to get the best out of them. Ultra revealing and neutral that benefit from an amp that can image very well.

Personally I suspect that A6s are pretty special. I had my eye on them before they were released but don't have room for them
emotion-6.gif

jubair

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I would go with the a5's as I prefer compact floorstanders, but the A6's aren't huge either. I spoke to a Spendor advisor today to ask him if my cyrus 8vs2 was powerful enough to drive the a5. He told me it would be fine. He also thought my room was big enough for the A6 but my room is larger than yours, about 4m x 8m. I would give Spendor a ring, the guy I spoke to was very helpful.

A

Anonymous

Something to consider is that although the A5 are slightly cheaper, they are slightly harder to dirve, so might require better amplification.

The A5 dips to 4 ohms and has a sensitivity of 85db.

The A6 dips to 5 ohms and has a sensitivity of 86db.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I did email spendor and they told me: small room A5, big room A6. Not sure if my room would be called small. I guess it's closer to small than big. I just don't want to get the A5 and wish I had the A6.... I really think the 5 is the better fit for me. I will probably go with that.

A

Anonymous

I would advise a side by side listen to both using your own amp (if possible) as I did at the weekend. The A5's are very compact but are quite frankly amazing, but the A6's IMO are a step up again but it will depend on your amplification as to how well they sound and what sound you prefer. The guy in the shop used Arcam and Sugden amps to run the A6's and prefered the sound from the A5's but when he heard the A6's with my Roksan Caspian he was amazed at the difference (this isn't a slight on either amps !). I preferred the A6's so have gone with them so will let you know how they sound when I pick them up on Saturday morning.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Spacehopper:I would advise a side by side listen to both using your own amp (if possible) as I did at the weekend. The A5's are very compact but are quite frankly amazing, but the A6's IMO are a step up again but it will depend on your amplification as to how well they sound and what sound you prefer. The guy in the shop used Arcam and Sugden amps to run the A6's and prefered the sound from the A5's but when he heard the A6's with my Roksan Caspian he was amazed at the difference (this isn't a slight on either amps !). I preferred the A6's so have gone with them so will let you know how they sound when I pick them up on Saturday morning.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Based on your demo, sounds like the difference between the A5 and A6 is relatively subtle...yes? I'm in the United States and the price diff over here is anything but subtle....:)

A

Anonymous

It is amazing how pricing varies between the UK and other parts of the world. In Australia, pricing can vary very markedly from RRP's in the UK. For example, the price difference between the A6 and A5 after converting is approximately 440GBP, which is quite similar to their respective RRP's in the UK.

However, look at something like the Monitor Audio PL300 and Mordaunt-Short Performance 6, in the UK, the PL300 retails for about 2,000GBP more than the Performance 6, whereas here, the PL300 retails for under 1,000GBP more than the Performance 6.

Anyway, I am also looking at possibly a pair of A5 or SA1 (with their dedicated loudspeaker stands) for a separate 2-channel set-up I may be setting-up. It is a small room, measuring only approximately 3.50 metres long by 2.70 metres wide. Based on this dimensions, I am guessing that the SA1 stand-mount loudspeakers are probably more appropriate. Personally, I prefer floor-standing loudspeakers, and the A5 looks reasonably good value, especially when the SA1's are factored-in with their stands, they actually cost a little more here than the A5's.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

Spacehopper:I would advise a side by side listen to both using your own amp (if possible) as I did at the weekend. The A5's are very compact but are quite frankly amazing, but the A6's IMO are a step up again but it will depend on your amplification as to how well they sound and what sound you prefer. The guy in the shop used Arcam and Sugden amps to run the A6's and prefered the sound from the A5's but when he heard the A6's with my Roksan Caspian he was amazed at the difference (this isn't a slight on either amps !). I preferred the A6's so have gone with them so will let you know how they sound when I pick them up on Saturday morning.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Based on your demo, sounds like the difference between the A5 and A6 is relatively subtle...yes? I'm in the United States and the price diff over here is anything but subtle....:)
So Jax, what are they in US$, as I'm considering a pair and will go looking soon? Thanks!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Neon K:So Jax, what are they in US$, as I'm considering a pair and will go looking soon? Thanks!

A6 is $3300

A5 is $2600

I found talked to 2 different authorized dealers and they both offered to take 10% off. So definately try and negotiate...

-Jax

A

Anonymous

The A5's are a very discreet size and I would guess take up less room than the SA1 with their stands (maybe a visual thing only). I personally would go for the A5's, after hearing them I can say they are very special speakers. The shop I bought my A6's from made me an offer I couldn't refuse on them so I am over the moon.

A

Anonymous

My bio now shows my current speaker layout -- any chance of getting A5s in there, or should I go with Neat Motive 2s ?
3442534024_77b845dc6f_m.jpg

A

Anonymous

Yeeeaahh, just try to keep them as much away from the rear wall as is allowable. 'll be fine!

A

Anonymous

If they are anything like the S5e speakers then they should be fine in a space like that. The S5e are very narrow and don't need much breathing room imo.

A

Anonymous

cse:Neon K. I have the BW CDM 1Se speakers, as well as the Micromeger Stage4. How are they both shaping up these days? Looking at your other threads cse I see you are considering Motive 2s cs A5 vs A6 also.

I recently got a squeeze/logitech Transporter and now run my DVD / Satelite TV through that, thus for lack of room I've boxed the Micromega up. Still a great player and after 1 new drive about 8 years ago it has been peachy.

When I get new floorstanders, the Micromega and CDM1s will be reunited in another room -- can't let them go.

A

Anonymous

cse:Neon K have you heard the Motive2's yet? Not yet. will go s/h route, so whatever I get, if they don't work then I'll sell on and try something else.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Spen floorstanders can need a bit more space behind them than you think to really sing. The older one's need a amp with a good damping factor to make the bottom end behave, but given that they are a superb listen. Not a sound that knocks you over in a quick a/b dem, but get them into your listening room for a demo, and they really start to show what they are all about.

TRENDING THREADS