Which speakers?

Bigun

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
My partner brought me a Project Pro Carbon for xmas a couple of years ago and Ive been running it through my old Yamaha DSP-A1 home coniema amp and pair of B&W DM603 floor standers, with the intention of slowly upgrading as I go. The upgrading hasnt been as quick as I wouldve hoped, limited funds :/

Anyway the other day I stumbled across a Cyrus 2 and PSX for £100. I purchased it without really thinking and now its home, set up and running I find it fairly tiring when listening for long periods, the bass is far tighter and the detail is awesome but it doesnt stop the overal experience leavingme wanting.

Can anyone advise me on which speakers new or 2nd hand would match the amp well? I'd prefer 2nd hand - much easier to sell on and buy something else if I'm not a fan.

I just dont know where to start! Maybe an old set of Mission speakers, would a new set match with the old Cyrus? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Bigun

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks very much, I wasnt sure of current values but couldnt say no at that price.

My room is 4.5m x 4m with the speakers sat along the longest wall - I cant move them as they will sit infront of my satelites for my projector. There is plenty of room to sides but only 350/400mm behind.

Budget is £200-300 but I could find a bit more if needed.

And I listen to all sorts from the Beatles, Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Stone Roses, Mondays - so I guess indie and rock with a heathly amount of folk and some contry thrown in.

Bigun

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Thx for replying, Ive noticed your name pop up on various threads regarding the C2, do you still own yours and what speakers would you recomend?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Bigun said:
Thx for replying, Ive noticed your name pop up on various threads regarding the C2, do you still own yours and what speakers would you recomend?

I certainly do, though it's packed away at the moment because I bought speakers with built in amps so it became surplus. I'm so out of touch with modern hifi that I'm probably the last person on earth to be able to recommend speakers. I'm sure you will get some recommendations. There are those who will say as a rule avoid all speakers with metal-domed tweeters, but I'd go with those who say there are unfortunately no strict rules.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You need warm sounding speakers. Many people say they find the C2 harsh, in fact even to this day they will tell you that's a characteristic of the so-called Cyrus house sound. But when I had my C2 serviced in 2015, from line-input to speaker output it was found to be virtually flat ±2dB, all the way from 20Hz sub bass pretty much up to where its FR sharply drops off at 50kHz. Couple that flatness to certain modern speakers with a propensity for forwardness in the upper mid range (presumably so they impress on the all important 45 second demo in a crowded shop) and you're left with a system which can smash glass.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Q Acoustics speakers are generally "softer" in the treble in my experience. I have some Concept 20s at home in a 2nd system. They seem warm and easy going so might be a good foil to your Cyrus. I will caveat that by saying I haven't heard the C2.

gasolin

MajorFubar said:
You need warm sounding speakers. Many people say they find the C2 harsh, in fact even to this day they will tell you that's a characteristic of the so-called Cyrus house sound. But when I had my C2 serviced in 2015, from line-input to speaker output it was found to be virtually flat ±2dB, all the way from 20Hz sub bass pretty much up to where its FR sharply drops off at 50kHz. Couple that flatness to certain modern speakers with a propensity for forwardness in the upper mid range (presumably so they impress on the all important 45 second demo in a crowded shop) and you're left with a system which can smash glass.

Dynaudio Emit M10 are definitely warm sounding

rainsoothe

wilro15 said:
Q Acoustics speakers are generally "softer" in the treble in my experience. I have some Concept 20s at home in a 2nd system. They seem warm and easy going so might be a good foil to your Cyrus. I will caveat that by saying I haven't heard the C2.

The Concepts, yes - not the 3000 series though. Maybe you could find a 2nd hand pair of B&W CM5 (the first series) - they were very warm sounding speakers (yes, with metal domes - the material makes absolutely no difference).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts