Which Speakers With These Systems...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Having read the one-make systems test in the new issue, if one were interested in the Cambridge Audio (Azur 340C and Azur 340A), and the Marantz System (CD6002 and PM6002), but was not keen on either set of speakers (CA S30 and Morduant ShortAvant 902i, respectively), which other speakers should one look for...? In particular, would the Kef Q1s or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s be good with either of these systems...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Strong punchy base is a concern too (in so far as its available at this level), but in this case one of the amp/cd combos above must form the basis of the system, not NAD or anything.

matthewpiano

Monitor Audio BR2s would be worth a look as are the Wharfedale Diamon 9.1s, although the Diamonds can sound a little flat with the wrong partners. Don't discount the S30s though. I did at first and was very reluctant to buy them, but they've proved to be an absolutely superb little speaker. Beautifully made and very good across the frequency range. Soundstaging is particularly impressive and they have loads of drive as well.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks! I must admit, im asking on behaf of someone else, and looks are a major concern to them, which is why they are discounting the speakers in question. many thanks for the tip tho. any thoughts re the kefs i mentioned?

A

Anonymous

We have the Marantz 6002s and have the B&W 685 speakers; I think the price increase ove thoses in the mag is worth every pennie and then some; they really do rock (when next door are out).

matthewpiano

The Q1s are excellent but need to be driven hard at decent volumes to give of their best. They are not a great speaker for installations where music sometimes needs to be played quietly. What about the current Mission range? They are quite attractive looking speakers and I believe the sound is excellent, although I haven't heard them myself yet.

A

Anonymous

To be honest the speakers are oversized for the room there in so anything passed 1'oclock on the volume and I need to leave the room; I usally listen between 9 and 10'oclock on the volume and they are composed, clear and a great pleasure to listen to.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have just (this week) bought the Marantz set up you mention and have paired them with the B&W 686's, the baby brother of the 685's. For a small speaker they are phenomenal and provide plenty of bass and punch - I would definitely recommend them with that set up.

Paul

A

Anonymous

[quote user="shezlee"]
To be honest the speakers are oversized for the room there in so anything passed 1'oclock on the volume and I need to leave the room; I usally listen between 9 and 10'oclock on the volume and they are composed, clear and a great pleasure to listen to.
[/quote]

Max volume on an amplifier is 12 o'clock.Anything past that and you are likely to be overdriving it which will damage it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Paulq"]
I have just (this week) bought the Marantz set up you mention and have paired them with the B&W 686's, the baby brother of the 685's. For a small speaker they are phenomenal and provide plenty of bass and punch - I would definitely recommend them with that set up.

Paul
[/quote]

Do you find the 686's are ok to drive? i am thinking about getting a pair and am concerned that as the sensitivity is so low ,at 84db, that my amp will not drive them. How do you find them ok at low/med volume?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I do - I think that particular amp (although I have evidence to back this up) is understated in terms of it's power. To be honest Fraziel I am blown away by the sound of my new set up - its deep, rich and engaging yet detailed enough when it needs to be. I have it set up in a 10 x 10 bedroom so by definition the majority of my listening is done at low to moderate volume. I would really recommend you listen to them - I tried a few and none came close to these for the music I listen to or the specific sound I like and try hard to recreate.

Hope this helps.

Pau;

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Paulq"]
I do - I think that particular amp (although I have evidence to back this up) is understated in terms of it's power. To be honest Fraziel I am blown away by the sound of my new set up - its deep, rich and engaging yet detailed enough when it needs to be. I have it set up in a 10 x 10 bedroom so by definition the majority of my listening is done at low to moderate volume. I would really recommend you listen to them - I tried a few and none came close to these for the music I listen to or the specific sound I like and try hard to recreate.

Hope this helps.

Pau;
[/quote]

i have demo'd the 686's and thought they were stunning. the bass depth and punch for a small speaker was unreal.They are quite deep speakers which helps.I demo'd them using a roksan kandy which has loads of power and will drive anything.My amp does not have the same power on tap.The only speakers i liked as much were the monitor Audio Rs1's but they are £70 more expensive. they are easy to drive though. I guess i will just have to have another demo using my amp.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="shezlee"]
We have the Marantz 6002s and have the B&W 685 speakers; I think the price increase ove thoses in the mag is worth every pennie and then some; they really do rock (when next door are out).
[/quote]

This system is top of my list for a purchase and could be buying it within the next week. What size room do you have and do the speakers accept poor positioning, ie near walls or close together? With the inevitable upgrade bug in the future, could these speakers be worthy of a better amp, something like the Roksan Kandy and would they do it justice?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
its a strange time to do it but just thought id ask again - Can anyone comment on the Wharfedale Diamon 9.1s with the CA system specifically? the speakers are only 86 in sensitivity. but they can put out 100 watts, so i guess they could live with an amp upgrade in future too?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"][quote user="shezlee"]

[/quote] Max volume on an amplifier is 12 o'clock.Anything past that and you are likely to be overdriving it which will damage it.[/quote]

So what your saying is I've got a volume control that goes from 6'oclock to 4'oclock but all I can use is 50% of it; surely 75% could be used?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="shep1968"][quote user="shezlee"]

[/quote] This system is top of my list for a purchase and could be buying it within the next week. What size room do you have and do the speakers accept poor positioning, ie near walls or close together? With the inevitable upgrade bug in the future, could these speakers be worthy of a better amp, something like the Roksan Kandy and would they do it justice?[/quote]

Our room is 9x11ft, the speakers are on the long wall about 3in from the corners; its the only position in the room for them but they don't seem to care. As for upgrading the recent test in WHF suggests that they will drive far more expensive speakers beyond that I don't know, I bought the best I could at the time.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
yeah thanks for the contributions folks. totally off topic this (ahem), but surely if you get speaklers taht can take it, you'll never over drive them. in other words, by not having an amp thats too strong for them? ive just realised there may be a flaw there. meh. but anyway, if anyone doers have any more thoughts as to my original questio, and subsequent on-topic posts...?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="shezlee"][quote user="shep1968"][quote user="shezlee"]

[/quote] This system is top of my list for a purchase and could be buying it within the next week. What size room do you have and do the speakers accept poor positioning, ie near walls or close together? With the inevitable upgrade bug in the future, could these speakers be worthy of a better amp, something like the Roksan Kandy and would they do it justice?[/quote]

Our room is 9x11ft, the speakers are on the long wall about 3in from the corners; its the only position in the room for them but they don't seem to care. As for upgrading the recent test in WHF suggests that they will drive far more expensive speakers beyond that I don't know, I bought the best I could at the time.
[/quote]
Is there any chance you can do a comparison for me? If you have the cable length, can you put the speakers around 4 feet away from each other, still on the wall and tell me how much the sound quality goes down please.

A

Anonymous

"Is there any chance you can do a comparison for me? If you have the cable length, can you put the speakers around 4 feet away from each other, still on the wall and tell me how much the sound quality goes down please"

Normaly I would jump at the chance but with the xmas tree in the way I don't have the free cable, sorry

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
No problem. Am listeneing to it next Sunday. Will position the speakers in the demo room in the same way as my lounge. Did you try any other speakers before plumping for the 685's?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts