Question Which speakers with MF M3Si?

Johnny31

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, appreciating the fact that it is down to personal tastes, what's a "better sounding" pair: M3Si and QA concept 40 or MA silver 100? If you've got the experience with the combination, what's the music that you enjoy?
I am trying to find a place where I can audition both speakers with my amp but concepts seem to be "on order" mostly...

Welcome to the forum. You really need to be looking at speakers that suit your room rather than pairing with a specific amplifier, having said that the amplifier has to be able to drive said speakers suitably.
Can you give more details about room size and why you have chosen these two speakers in particular, and why one floorstander and one standmount? That's like trying to compare apples and oranges....
Of choices come down to whatever you can actually get to audition yourself.
Concept 40 seem discounted here:-

or a cheaper open-box pair here:-

Johnny31

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. You really need to be looking at speakers that suit your room rather than pairing with a specific amplifier, having said that the amplifier has to be able to drive said speakers suitably.
Can you give more details about room size and why you have chosen these two speakers in particular.
Of choices come down to whatever you can actually get to audition yourself.
Thanks Al. The room is 5.5x3.5 in the continental currency. I can play around positioning so no constraints there.
Now, the hard part: I heard both speakers. Auditioned properly the silvers (but paired to 6000A) and they were fantastic. And, on a different occasion, heard only briefly the concepts that were driven by a Naim all in one. Very different circumstances but liked the sound very much.
As I'm moving house and will be making the set-up in the aforementioned room. Both speakers should work well in the environment (plus I'm ready to use some room correction as well). I am just trying to establish if I'm off by a lot and if not, what people see as particular positives/negatives.

Thanks Al. The room is 5.5x3.5 in the continental currency. I can play around positioning so no constraints there.
Now, the hard part: I heard both speakers. Auditioned properly the silvers (but paired to 6000A) and they were fantastic. And, on a different occasion, heard only briefly the concepts that were driven by a Naim all in one. Very different circumstances but liked the sound very much.
As I'm moving house and will be making the set-up in the aforementioned room. Both speakers should work well in the environment (plus I'm ready to use some room correction as well). I am just trying to establish if I'm off by a lot and if not, what people see as particular positives/negatives.
Thanks, got you.
Agree both speakers would work well in a room of that size.
You have heard them but not with your amp. I don't know of any issues with either of those speakers but it might be worthwhile seeing if you can get a home audition of these speakers after you move in.
To throw a possible spanner in the works, assuming you don't already have speaker stands, I would say go with the MA Silver 200 floorstanders instead......

Reactions: Johnny31

I would also listen to some KEF R3. I've not heard the pairing but a former member had the MF AMS 35 with Kef Reference speakers. Apparently the 'R' range shares components to the newer reference series.

Last edited:

Johnny31

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
I would also listen to some KEF R3. I've not heard the pairing but a former member had the MF AMS 35 with Kef Reference speakers. Apparently the 'R' range shares components to the newer reference series.
The R3s are nice "boxes" but almost twice the budget... If I start pushing the envelope like that, I'll start looking at all sorts of things such as Dali Rubicon 2s (open box for the same money) and so on. BUT then the Swimbo factor might kick in... :unsure:

The R3s are nice "boxes" but almost twice the budget... If I start pushing the envelope like that, I'll start looking at all sorts of things such as Dali Rubicon 2s (open box for the same money) and so on. BUT then the Swimbo factor might kick in... :unsure:
Fair play. I would look, in that case, at the new Focals. Similar in tonal qualities to the MAs you liked, but offer something a little different. Whether that difference is right for you, you'll need to decide.

FWIW I'm a big Monitor Audio fan.

Johnny31

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, got you.
Agree both speakers would work well in a room of that size.
You have heard them but not with your amp. I don't know of any issues with either of those speakers but it might be worthwhile seeing if you can get a home audition of these speakers after you move in.
To throw a possible spanner in the works, assuming you don't already have speaker stands, I would say go with the MA Silver 200 floorstanders instead......
So, given that I do not have the stands, and probably spent too much time overthinking everything, the line-up for auditioning looks as following:
  1. QA Concept 40
  2. MA Silver 200
  3. FA F501
  4. AE309
In my mind, all are "slim" floorstanders, in theory working well in a 15-20m2 room, and all can be had under the 1k mark (discounts, open box, etc.). Furthermore, all should be "happy" with my M3Si...
The issue is a possibly very different nature amongst them. As I still have a few good weeks before the move", I will try to listen to all of them. Anything to add or strike off the list (taking into account my taste reflected in plenty of female vocals, (acoustic) jazz, some blues, ocasional venture into 70/80 rock)?

Too much choice can hurt!!! :p

So, given that I do not have the stands, and probably spent too much time overthinking everything, the line-up for auditioning looks as following:
  1. QA Concept 40
  2. MA Silver 200
  3. FA F501
  4. AE309
In my mind, all are "slim" floorstanders, in theory working well in a 15-20m2 room, and all can be had under the 1k mark (discounts, open box, etc.). Furthermore, all should be "happy" with my M3Si...
The issue is a possibly very different nature amongst them. As I still have a few good weeks before the move", I will try to listen to all of them. Anything to add or strike off the list (taking into account my taste reflected in plenty of female vocals, (acoustic) jazz, some blues, ocasional venture into 70/80 rock)?

Too much choice can hurt!!! :p
Dali Oberon 5?

Johnny31

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
How do you mean "don't fit the list"?
More of a joke really... the rest of the company is 2 1/2 design; from what I could find, Oberon 5s are 2 way "only" - hence, don't fit the list comment. In any case, given the reviews and opinions out there, I will certainly try to hear them as well!

Johnny31

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
I have also stumbled upon few threads where people were commenting on their disappointment with Opticon 5s vs Oberon 5s... very interesting! So my new list seems to be:
  1. QA Concept 40
  2. MA Silver 200
  3. FA F501
  4. AE309
  5. Dali Oberon 5
The game is on! 👊📀

From your list, the two I’ve heard most and really admired are the Oberon 5 and the Concept 40. As both are available at around £699 it might almost come down to looks.
The Dali looks fab in the hessian grille and light oak, to my eyes, but white QAs would look great in a more contemporary room.

From your list, the two I’ve heard most and really admired are the Oberon 5 and the Concept 40. As both are available at around £699 it might almost come down to looks.
The Dali looks fab in the hessian grille and light oak, to my eyes, but white QAs would look great in a more contemporary room.
I would agree, the Oberon 5 are much smaller in stature but don't think the OP needs to worry about this but, from what I recall the F501s don't do too well when playing at low volumes.
Haven't heard the MAs or the AE309 so cannot comment on these.

Regardless of aesthetics, it'll boil down to synergy. Only heard MF amps from years ago but they were quite smooth in presentation, and would guess the QAs might be too samey. On that, though, the OP will ultimately decide based on his personal preference and room acoustics.

Johnny31

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, quick note to thank you all again for chiming in. I actually ended up with something not originally on my list (what a surprise :)). I was moments away from pulling the trigger on Oberon 5s and got really sidetracked by the new (MK2) Opticons. 2s just look awesome (imho) but given the situation and how new they are, no reviews/opportunity to hear them. That actually prompted me to look again a the stand-mounters. And after much reading and a limited audition, I ended up with Focal Aria 906s with the corresponding Focal stands...
The only thing I can say is - WOW - I'm now fully in love with my system.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts