Which speakers with a Cyrus 8 system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

Been a reader of the mag for a few months so thought id join up here and say hi.
emotion-1.gif

Im a newbie into the world of hi-fi. All of my listening for the past few years has been done on my PC with a 5.1 speaker setup - pretty nasty tbh. A good few years ago (10+!) my mates parents bought a Cyrus system with mission speakers - cant recall the specifics - but it was awesome! Couldn't beleive how good it sounded! Especially at loud volumes. Anyway I wan't a piece of that cake as Im fed up listening to tunes on a noisy pc streaming them from Napster. To cut to the chase Im going to purchase a Cyrus 8 system, but Im undecided on the speakers. Obviously I'll try and audition them before I purchase but I'd like to know of any decent contenders for my money. Im wanting to spend about £900 - £1300 ish on a set of floorstanders. I've been reading about the Dali Ikon 6's and the Spendor S5e which sound good and will try and listen to them both.

Are there any other major players I should try and listen to?

Cheers

Steve

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi Steve and welcome

Recently my girlfriends parents bought the Cyrus 8v2 amp and Cyrus 8 CD player and matched them with B&W CM7 speakers, all from Sevenoaks in Preston.

Not sure where you are but believe me, this is a fantastic set-up.

What would be handy to know is what music do you listen to and what size room will your system be going in to? Also, have you decided what interconnects and speaker cable are you looking to use?

I myself, as well as my girlfriends parents listen to quite bassy music, soul, motown to Pink Floyd and modern electronic music like Leftfield, Daft Punk, Air etc...

The new B&W 600 series speakers suite the Cyrus set-up very well, the 684's and 683's (both floorstnaders) were fantastic, in my view the 683's were better, but my girlfriends parents liked the looks of the CM7 range better. And, if you wanted to save some of your hard earned £££ then there is a pair on Ebay currently that look absoultely mint condition.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Im a few miles from Glasgow and I think theres a Sevenoaks there (or is it Edinbugh hmm) , Im pretty close regardless.

I mostly listen to rock music but like a bit of acoustic guitar stuff also.Like you I enjoy Leftfield also Prodigy, Fluke etc. The wife is a pop princess and will no doubt have anything thats on a "NOW!" cd on it. :) Girls Aloud etc!

Room size is difficult as I move around a lot but I guess 7m x 4m living room is pretty typical for me. Nothing much bigger than that.

Cheers for the speaker suggestions - I'll go check them out! The wife doesn't like the Ikon 6's as "they look ugly" and she's "not having them in my living room" So fingers crossed they are pretty!

I buy a lot of stuff from ebay but im just not sure about buying speakers on there...perhaps in case they have been thrashed.

Thanks

Steve

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I know what youre saying about Ebay and worrying about speakers but the guys who's selling the CM7's as well as the CM1's and think they were part of a surround system

They both look in top condition and he's a trusted seller.

We got a good discount on the CM7's @ Sevenoaks as we bought the Cyrus set-up there too, if you pay by cash, they'll always discount! Also, the 683's are fantastic speakers and will really suit your music tastes! I'd suggest re-educating your wife also. My girlfriend tried playing some trash on my system so i sent her packing with some Layo & Bushwacker, Leftfield, Underworld and Daft Punk. She's on my side now haha :)

The CM7's in wenge finish are really attractive speakers also with the brushed alimunium!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Those nice people at Shadow audio have a pair of PMC FB1+ ex demo for sale, try to get some deal...I am sure Bill is willing to help.

I don't know how far is fife from you but they have a cracking deal in there. Sevenoaks in glasglow also have a pire of OB1 for sale (cheap-ish) but I bet it's gone by now....they are too good for the Cyrus 8 but they could be the last pair you ever need to buy!

A

Anonymous

Think about trying Dynaudio, specifically the AUDIENCE 62 (£800). I have heard them with a Cyrus 8 gear and they really work well. They will add a little more bass weight than the Dali's while maintaining the detailed analysis that cyrus is renowned for.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll try and check out as many of these as I can!

Steve

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ranglo"]
Think about trying Dynaudio, specifically the AUDIENCE 62 (£800). I have heard them with a Cyrus 8 gear and they really work well. They will add a little more bass weight than the Dali's while maintaining the detailed analysis that cyrus is renowned for.
[/quote]Dynaudio would be good. If I remember correctly What Hifi recommends to pair cyrus with Dynaudios. Try to audition the Dynaudio Audience 52 (SE if possible).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts