Which speakers to match with Cambridge Audio 840A V2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone offer advice on which speakers I should choose from (say 3 or 4 to listen to and check out) to match up with a CA 840A V2. Ideally they should be bookshelf but don't have to be. Budget is circa £800

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I have a pair of B&W CM1s with my CA 840A v1 and they sound great. The CA is a very neutral amp so you don't want anything overly bright, so avoid KEF etc. maybe other forum members can advise on slightly warmer-sounding speakers. CA themselves generally recommend Mordaunt-Shorts for their kit - but then they would because they are a partner company (Audio Partnership) :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks! I'll check out the B&Ws. Any other suggestions would be very gratefully received!

Andy

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I've always found Cambridge Audio gear to be on the bright side. Imo, stay away from Kef, since those are a little bright too. The combination of the two might be too much.

B&W should be on you list to audition, and I guess Dali too. Maybe the RX series of Monitor Audio, but I find them to be very neutral, and the brighter amp might push them over the edge too.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
AndyB, I have the B&W 684s which sound excellent with my CA 840A V2 amp. What are you using as your source/CD player and what are you choosing for interconnects/speaker cable?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Try the Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6s I have them hooked with a Cambridge Audio 340a and it sounds great....can't imagine what it'd be like with yours!

A

Anonymous

Source CD is a CA 740C. Cant emember the cables but they were the best I could afford. Thanks for all the suggestions - will audition them over the next few days. Really appreciate the advice

Andy

A

Anonymous

I totally agree with you Kevin. I tried 840A V2 and 740A with KEF XQ20 and the result was bad. Too bright!

Avoid neutral and bright loudspeakers. I read some reviews describing the referred amps like neutral but believe me they are not. They are on the bright side for sure. So, they need warm loudspeakers and sources to sound fine.

kevinJ said:
I've always found Cambridge Audio gear to be on the bright side. Imo, stay away from Kef, since those are a little bright too. The combination of the two might be too much.

B&W should be on you list to audition, and I guess Dali too. Maybe the RX series of Monitor Audio, but I find them to be very neutral, and the brighter amp might push them over the edge too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:
I totally agree with you Kevin. I tried 840A V2 and 740A with KEF XQ20 and the result was bad. Too bright!

Avoid neutral and bright loudspeakers. I read some reviews describing the referred amps like neutral but believe me they are not. They are on the bright side for sure. So, they need warm loudspeakers and sources to sound fine.

kevinJ said:

I also agree.

I'd be looking at something from Dynaudio (DM 2/7 or Excite X12), or the Spendor S3 5R2

A

Anonymous

Another vote for smoothness of either Dynaudio or Spendor, the Spendor's would be a perfect match as the treble is very slightly rolled off which can give them a dull sound with an already warm amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts