Which speakers to add to my system for Dolby Atmos?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

I am thinking about adding Dolby Atmos to my system and thinking of having the Pioneer sc-lx901 amp. One thing about the speakers is I don't think I can be asked putting them into the ceiling, so just thinking of adding floor standing speakers to make the sound. What do you think? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
It won't work that way. There needs to be a height difference between your regular speakers and Atmos speakers.
Okay Cheers BB, I am thinking of going 11.1 or 11.2 and do you think B&W M1's will do the job? Cheers. Or is there another speaker I should be looking at? Thanks.

F

FunkyMonkey

I think Gel means use this sepakers that sit atop the fronts to bounce sound off ceiling.

Mixed views on those even in the professional world.

I bought some cheapo 4inch speakers from Amazon and stuck on ceiling.

Work a treat. Rated them in stereo only to make sure they had enough dynamic range and refinement and to my surprise they did the job.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You can mount those b&w M1's on the wall just below the ceiling and angle them towards your listening position. If you are looking at just .2 Atmos. Then you can mount them right above your listening position. This should work a treat. But from what I've read here mostly, you don't necessarily need something with the b&w's prowess for Atmos. Almost any run of the mill satellite speakers with good dispersion , seems to be doing the trick. And far better than any up firing Atmos speakers that you are considering placing on top of your floor standers. Just my 2 cents

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Ceiling bouncers can be very hit or miss, so if you can't fit in-ceilings and don't want to wear a hardhat in case the duck-taped-to-ceiling speakers come loose, my recommendations in order of descending cost are:

1. Klipsch RP-140SA or knock-offs bought on a certain well known auction website. Hang them on nails or screws just below the ceiling and live with speaker cables running up the walls if you have to.

2. Little Bose or other brand surround speakers mounted on 2 axis rotating mounts screwed high up on the walls, cables as above.

3. Modest (cheap even) bookcase speakers on brackets as above. Cables as above.

Alternatively you could make your own "DIY" Klipsch RP-140SA knockoffs by buying a pair of second hand el cheapo bookshelf speakers, carefully sawing the cabinets and putting your own plywood backs on (which is probably how Klipsch got the idea in the first place). Hang on nails or screws high up where walls meet ceiling.

D

Deleted member 2457

Thanks for all the replies guys! I don't know what to do at the moment. I think I will think about it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
As big boss said SVS do a special speaker that sits high up the wall and bounces sound of the ceiling and is meant to be very good I watched a YouTube video the other night on them plus they do one that sits on the floor as a lot of people do not want to make holes in there ceiling or screw speakers on the ceiling .

I also watched a different video by audioholics on atmos they were saying it's not worth the effort but it's up to you gel as I find setting up a very good 5.1 does the job nicely and currently I still got no surround back speakers so I've got a 3.1 setup at the moment an till I save some penny's but I put on peal harbour when the Japanese bomb the harbour and the sound is amazing and when the big bomb drops into the warship Arizona in the harbour man I get a massive explosion since I've brought the SVS sub .

D

Deleted member 2457

Blacksabbath25 said:
As big boss said SVS do a special speaker that sits high up the wall and bounces sound of the ceiling and is meant to be very good I watched a YouTube video the other night on them plus they do one that sits on the floor as a lot of people do not want to make holes in there ceiling or screw speakers on the ceiling .

I also watched a different video by audioholics on atmos they were saying it's not worth the effort but it's up to you gel as I find setting up a very good 5.1 does the job nicely and currently I still got no surround back speakers so I've got a 3.1 setup at the moment an till I save some penny's but I put on peal harbour when the Japanese bomb the harbour and the sound is amazing and when the big bomb drops into the warship Arizona in the harbour man I get a massive explosion since I've brought the SVS sub .
Aw nice one! I like Pearl Harbor too.

D

Deleted member 2457

FunkyMonkey said:
How do I put an image on this forum?
You have to upload one to Flickr or something else and then click on the image and select a size, then you have to insert that image on here.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have given up on the idea of a new amp and Atmos speakers now - cheers for the help though.
thumbs_up.png

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Gel, I've added 4 definitive technology pro cinema 600 speakers in each corner of our ceiling pointing downwards and have 5.1.4 atmos system. The only issue is hiding the speaker wires and I was very lucky because the previous owner installed speaker cable for his pro-logic system around 15 years ago and I found the speaker cables ends when we replaced sim of the ceiling coving... Not sure about the quality of cable but it works with no issues.

You could run the cable up each the corner of your walls, and cover it with some wood dowelling and paint over to match your walls like I have for my rear surrounds...

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Gel, I've added 4 definitive technology pro cinema 600 speakers in each corner of our ceiling pointing downwards and have 5.1.4 atmos system. The only issue is hiding the speaker wires and I was very lucky because the previous owner installed speaker cable for his pro-logic system around 15 years ago and I found the speaker cables ends when we replaced sim of the ceiling coving... Not sure about the quality of cable but it works with no issues.

You could run the cable up each the corner of your walls, and cover it with some wood dowelling and paint over to match your walls like I have for my rear surrounds...
Cheers buddy, I think I am going to have to wait way into the future for Atmos though.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam yet to finalise the placement of my inceiling speakers for Atmos. From your post above, understand that you have them at the 4 corners angled towards you. How do you find the Atmos effect in this setup.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Iam yet to finalise the placement of my inceiling speakers for Atmos. From your post above, understand that you have them at the 4 corners angled towards you. How do you find the Atmos effect in this setup.

I'm unable to compare to in-ceiling speakers, although I can compare my first go at atmos with the onkyo upfiiring speakers but only had a 5.1.2 with a denon x4100 AVR and the sound is night and day with the front and rear heights I now have. I now also have the x6200 AVR so that I can have a 5.1.4 setup.

The surround sound for atmos is very good and you can deffo hear the helicopters fly over you and rain and the rear heights are above our heads where the sofa is located, it's very good and the surround is my enveloped if you know. What I mean!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That was very helpful. Even iam planning on having my rear Atmos in ceiling speakers above my listening position, right above my side surrounds. But Iam not sure about the fronts so far. Dolby suggests to put them about 45 degrees ahead of the listening position. So they should be sitting about 5.5 ft ahead of my seating position. Don't if this is better or should I mount them above my front LR speakers.

May I also know if you have surround speakers at ear height or above ear height. As some suggest keeping them about 2 ft above ear height. And with a Atmos setup some advise to place them at ear height. Thanks again.

You can use front heights as Atmos speakers, but ceiling speakers will be better.

It's best to have fronts and surrounds in one plane (at the same height) and Atmos speakers in another plane, a few feet above. It's the height gradient that creates the Atmos effect better.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Even I was considering having all 5 speakers at exactly ear level. But was confused as some suggested having them above ear level.

Iam still doing up my room, so plan to go for in ceiling speakers from the outset. So won't be able to angle them directly to my seating position. All 4 speakers will be firing down directly. Thus the doubt wether to mount the forward speakers above the front LR speakers which will place them 11ft ahead or half way into the room, about 5.5 ft ahead of my listening position. This is a permanent installation, hence trying to get it right straight way.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam not sure I can find them in India. I found them in the USA, but retail for 400$ a pair.

I could get them, but really don't have room to carry them back, I also have a heavy stereo amp to lug back all the way.

Besides my entire setup has been qacoustics so far. And most of their range can be found in India. So will see if I can find something with tiltable tweeters that you mentioned from their range in india. Thanks.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Will these tiltable tweeter speakers still work effectively if I placed them right in the front of the room at 11ft from my listening position. Or am I better off placing them 5 feet ahead of my listening position. Thanks.

Which part of India are you in?

Even Q acoustics has some ceiling speakers with swivel tweeters. Q-Install QI65 speaker has a swivel tweeter for example.

5 feet ahead of listening position will be better. You can have front and rear height speakers and assign them as Atmos, but this isn't the configuration in Dolby Atmos white paper.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I live in a city called Hyderabad. I have indeed found these qacoustics QI65CB online. But their literature did not mention if they have tiltable tweeters. If they do have , then my search ends here :)

I will go with placing the front Atmos speakers 5.5 ft ahead of my listening position. If I go for front and rear heights , then it will be one too many speakers in my living room. So will go with in ceiling Atmos speakers. Thanks for suggesting those qacoustics :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts