Which speakers for Unison Research Unico P?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Unison Research Unico P, which I initially got because of my bookshelf speakers not having enoug warmth.

I have paired it with Leema Xero speakers and I have a lot of warmth. I also changed the russian tube for a NOS and it is definitely clearer. However, there isn't enough weight in the sound. The speakers are at one end of a very long room (35fts), which is rather narrow (12fts).

Although this amp is great, very few people have Unison Research Hybrid amps, so it is difficult to find infos on matching it with speakers. I am considering two options, although I would welcome any other suggestions too, to gain a more room filling sound

option 1: Dali Mentor Menuet (because the are small, so would fit on my shelves, and seem to still be an upgrade to the Leemas)

option 2: Spendor A5 (because they seem to be amazing while very small -- less than 80cm high and rather narrow -- floorstand speakers).

I was also advised to use it with Sonus Faber speakers, whereas one of the forum members suggested it might be too soft a speakers given the natural softness of the amp.

In summary: I need speakers which will not find ugly space absorber while deliverying precise and full of presence sound.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Alex

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil,

thanks for your suggestion. Although the speakers are a little larger than I was considering, I will add them in my listening session early next week. The 3-way system does indeed suggest a lot of presence.

Many thanks again.

Alex

A

Anonymous

Macspur,

Thank you for the advice. I had a look at the Harbeth P3 ESR and it is really small indeed. I will try it out.

I am currently trying a Sonus Faber. The sound is very good, but I still can't get the sound to surround me and fill the room.

I start wondering whether I am too demanding and have reached the limits of the amp, or whether floorstand speakers are the only solution. Working on that.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
You could try the little PMC DB1i or maybe the PMC 21's

The PMC 21's would probably be better if they are going to be used on a shelf as the transmission line exit is a the front .

Either will give you the extra controlled bass weight that you want along with a large room filling detailed and natural sound.

Both sound far larger than they look and are very capable all rounders .

Worth a try :)

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/iseries/db1i

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/twenty/twenty21

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
G_alex2004 said:
Macspur,

Thank you for the advice. I had a look at the Harbeth P3 ESR and it is really small indeed. I will try it out.

I am currently trying a Sonus Faber. The sound is very good, but I still can't get the sound to surround me and fill the room.

I start wondering whether I am too demanding and have reached the limits of the amp, or whether floorstand speakers are the only solution. Working on that.

Pleasure.

You could also take a look at Harbeth compact7, or even SHL5.

Don't know your amp, but Croft, another hybrid amp works beautifully with Harbeth.

Cheers

Mac

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thank you for the additional suggestions.

I tried a couple of speakers over the week-end, and both worked very well.

Both speakers were Sonus Faber, once was the Liuto Monitors which worked very well, was very precise, but lacked the bass I was hoping to gain from an upgrade (bass is still very good, but not as good as the next one I tried).

I have then tried the Sonus Faber Toy Tower floor stands. This was very good. I actually discovered how amazing the Unison Research is and the power and details it has. Maybe marginally less details than the Liuto, but the presence is excellent. The standard version of the speaker comes in black leather, but the one I want, costs another £450. Total £1,850.

If I have to spend that money, I was wondering whether there is any good competiton to the Sonus in the £1,800-2,200 bracket.

By the way, I also had a look at the Harbeths, but these speakers are unfortunately too wide. I am happy to go up to 100cm in height and would definitely stay on floorstands.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you like SF, often nothing else will do.......though I would still look at Proac, Spendor and Kef R series (as mentioned above).

Let us know how you get on.

Cno

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
G_alex2004 said:
I have a Unison Research Unico P, which I initially got because of my bookshelf speakers not having enoug warmth.

I have paired it with Leema Xero speakers and I have a lot of warmth. I also changed the russian tube for a NOS and it is definitely clearer. However, there isn't enough weight in the sound. The speakers are at one end of a very long room (35fts), which is rather narrow (12fts).

Although this amp is great, very few people have Unison Research Hybrid amps, so it is difficult to find infos on matching it with speakers. I am considering two options, although I would welcome any other suggestions too, to gain a more room filling sound

option 1: Dali Mentor Menuet (because the are small, so would fit on my shelves, and seem to still be an upgrade to the Leemas)

option 2: Spendor A5 (because they seem to be amazing while very small -- less than 80cm high and rather narrow -- floorstand speakers).

I was also advised to use it with Sonus Faber speakers, whereas one of the forum members suggested it might be too soft a speakers given the natural softness of the amp.

In summary: I need speakers which will not find ugly space absorber while deliverying precise and full of presence sound.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Alex

Hey Alex, for tube amps I'd recommend looking at something around the 89db+ area...they are relatively low powered amps and need efficient speakers. I would recommend something like the Planet Duevels, while these are rated at 85db, I've heard them with a 10 watt Leban amp and it sounded brilliant...might be worth a shot.

A

Anonymous

Results of my search on the following post:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/unison-research-unico-with-sonus-faber-toy-tower-review

Many thanks again for everyone's help and advice.

Alex

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts