Which speakers for AirPort Express (in the kitchen)

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking for 2 speakers for AirPort Express (in the kitchen). My AppleTV will be connected to AV Receiver via optical so this is were quality is important.. In the Kitchen I just need something that sounds OK with analog output.

Are these any good?

Bose® Companion® 2 Series II Speakers

Or can I get something better for the money?

John Duncan

Got to be the Audioengines yes, they're great (if you can get power to where they're going - trickier if on wall). The Harman Kardon Soundsticks are really good fun as well though, if you fancy a funky sub/sat arrangement.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would go a bit tangentical on this and suggest an Evoke Pure Flow DAB/FM/Internet/streaming radio with it's matching (optional) S1 Flow speaker.

Not too expensive (£150 + £35), wirelessly streams music from your servers and plays internet stations wirelessly (no computers need to be powered on for that) and gives you easily searchable 'listen again' facility. It is 802.11g/WEP/WPA/WPA2 compatible and looks pretty good in solid lacquer black. (Easy to clean/polish/wipe chicken juice off!) Oh yes, it also has DAB and FM - of course - and full timering/alarm facilities.

Sounds great (even without the additional speaker).

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-60896

And you will not need the Airport Express with it (one less 'box' and one less plug) in the kitchen. You can use that somewhere else instead.

I bought it to go in the kitchen but I am enjoying it so much I am reluctant to let it go out there.

Just an alternative thought.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Funnily enough, I bought the Evoke flow to go in the bathroom (thanks JD!) - just ordered the whole lot so my credit card is a little warm now...
emotion-42.gif

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Evoke looks cool, but I prefer AirportExpress + Speakers setup because I want to listen to my ripped music from AppleTV and I can put everything on the top of kitchen furniture. (my kitchen is small and extra radio box takes extra space
emotion-1.gif

By the way does AppleTV has some kind of internet radio?

Proff.. where did you get your Audioengine A2s and how much were they?

I was going to wait till monday with my purchase (AV Receiver + AppleTV + Airport Express + kitchen speakers) because I wanted to see what's on Stuff show in London.. but today I've realized that it's not this weekend.. it's the next one
emotion-7.gif
.. and this extra week sounds like a long time.

And I'm still undecided on AV Receiver side.. I really need to find answer to few questions but it's strangly quite on these 2 topics
emotion-18.gif

Yamaha 863 upscaler - how good is it?

Is Yamaha 863 as bright as Pioneer LX71/Denon 2309?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there, got the Audioengines from here - they were in stock at RRP (£110) and offered next day delivery. Had a look at a few places, a couple were a tiny bit cheaper as I remember, but it was literally £105 or something so not a lot in it and were from places that didn't give me a good vibe in terms of online service (having shopped online for a while, it's usually pretty easy to tell). Ordered yesterday and speakers arrived this afternoon - can't fault the service from the above guys - emailed throughout the order to update me on the status, even giving tracking number for City Link.
Have a look at my post here to see what I thought of them - it's all good by the way!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts