Which Speakers for £300 to £400?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
These are going to be linked (short term) to the Zone 2 Outputs of my Denon 2807 AV Amp and later to a Sonos wireless system.

A local dealer gave me a demo of the Totem Dreamcatcher - which I loved until he told me they were £500 at which point I left - pissed off that he had made me want something at double the stated budget!! Now I've raised the bar to include Dynaudio Audience 42's (best price £350), Monitor Audio Silver RS1's (best price £350) or EPOS M5i (£424). So do think these give me a reasonable choice for the money or am I putting "Ferrari wheels on a Corsa"?

The other alternative is to drop in price to the Focal 705V (£250) or B&W686 (£280) which were rather closer to where I started and both sound very good (if not a patch on the Totems)!!!
emotion-7.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well there are some very nice speakers there, and I've never heard of the Totem Dreamcatcher so I suspect that Dyns especially would at least match them, if not be significantly better.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I think £300/£400 speakers are a tad wasted as a zone two pair on that AV amp plus the Sonos. I'd save some of your cash and look at Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s (£200; they beat the B&W 686s in a Group Test in our current, April issue) or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s (£150) or Mordaunt Short Avant 902is (£150). And don't forget to budget for stands!

A

Anonymous

I've changed my post after realising your looking for a AV system

Apologies

But what I would say is listen to Clare.

Even though I find the BR2's VERY Dull or is that what you call WARM ??

Good Luck

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare - Funnily enough - I thought you might say that!
emotion-1.gif
Horror of horrors - they are going to have to sit on bookshelves - albeit imensely stable and dense .....

Have you heard the MA BR1's? They look a better size than the BR2's - especially as the wife has given me a height limit of approx 300mm ..... to prevent them dominating the room (she made me sell my Kef Q55.2's as they were "too big") .....
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Stick your wife on the bookshelf until her behavior improves[/quote]

I've tried - she makes an unpleasant noise .......
emotion-16.gif

Compromise is the best solution - especially as she doesn't restrict my budget!
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the thoughts / advice. In the end I sort of followed Clare's advice on the reduced budget and ended up liking the Mission M32i's - which I've managed to pick up for £125! Bargain ....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="MadMark"]

[quote user="JoelSim"]Stick your wife on the bookshelf until her behavior improves[/quote]

I've tried - she makes an unpleasant noise .......
emotion-16.gif

[/quote]

Plug her in out of phase....that helps......

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="MadMark"]
Thanks for all the thoughts / advice. In the end I sort of followed Clare's advice on the reduced budget and ended up liking the Mission M32i's - which I've managed to pick up for £125! Bargain ....
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

Good choice on the Missions. I may have gone for the Wharfdale 9.1s for about the same price but not sure without looking what height they are. If you want to upgrade at a later date, the Revolver RW16 are cracking little bookshelves with a good sensitivity for low powered amps.

MRB

Feb 20, 2007
Visit site
I'd probably go for the Dynaudio's. It might be worth listening to the 52's if your budget can stretch that far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts