Which Speaker package?

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I was hoping for some advice on which speaker package I should go for. I am currently changing all my home cinema kit. So far I have got a Onkyo 606 amp. I have a PS3 for blu-ray and Denon 1940 for DVD. TV is a 46inch Panasonic PZ85B. I had originally intended getting a 50inch but by dropping downto 46 I saved a little cash and picked up a refurbished Infocus IN78 off their eBay site.

My current speakers are 6 or 7 year old Tannoys. mx4-M for front left and right, mxc-M centre and mx1-M for rears. My sub is a Yamaha YST-sw320.

My first choice was the Kef 3005se. However, now Im not so sure I want the style speaker look and would prefer to go down the traditional route. The B&W 685 Theatre package seems to be one the best at this sort of price point. However, my local Richer Sounds has the Monitor Audio RS range in stock. I can get the RS6 for £600 (RS8 for £800), the RS LCR for £250 and the FX rears for £299 I think. That would give a price of £1149. The sub is a further £600. This is my dilemma though. The house I've lived in for the last 4 years is over 100 years old. The connecting walls with next door are very thin and noise travels easily. Thus, I havent really used my sub in all that time. So my question is, should I get the RS speakers and stick with my current rarely used sub (upgrading it a some point in the future when I move house) or opt for B&W package? Which would be a better fit for my Onkyo amp? I currently falling on the side of the Monitor Audio as I would prefer a front floorstander. Are there other packages I havent mentioned? Is the RS range due to be replaced anytime soon?

Many thanks in advance. I've been reading up on stuff and trying to make decisions since the start of the year so sorting these speakers will see me finished finally.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, I know the 685 package is brilliant, but it does all come separate so just because you choose the rest of the package, doesn't mean you need to necessarily change your sub. Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the Monitor Audio speakers, but thought it was worth pointing this out in case you thought you had to buy the package as a whole.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, I've already chosen the B&W setup, but I didn't audition the Monitor Audio's when I bought last year as, once I'd heard the B&W's, I knew it was right for me (I'd heard enough other systems by that point). Mind you, I'm coming at this mostly from a home cinema perspective - music is important to me but not if it gets in the way of HC. Fortunately, I thought the B&Ws were brilliant for music too so I didn't have to make that compromise.
Price wise, B&W is £380 for 685s, £280 for 686s and £250 for the HTM62 centre, so that's £910 all together without the sub and without any discount.
Whatever your decision, don't forget speaker stands and cables - it's likely this is where you can get some good deals at a dealer if you purchase the whole lot in one go.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
If you want something between style speakers and traditional you could do worse than auditioning the Arcam Muso/Logo combination. I am currently using these with the 606.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts