Which Speaker and Sub advice please

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Reciever and speaker package advice please
I have a Onkyo TXNR609 which I got recently to replace my Denon AVR 1910. I want to replace my KEF HTS2001 (original egg type) and paired with KEF PSW2000

I was thinking of getting KEF T205 which I Listened to,and they sounded great on movies and music video,but soon as played music it sounded pretty awful.Which is a real shame as they look fantastic
I have decided to have a look at monitor audio radius HD250 as theycan be mounted on the wall. What sub would you recommend.I would ideally like to keep with the same brand just confused which one to go for? Also a lot of people On here really rate MA Apex system which is similar prices for the satellites, but the sub seems to be nearly double of the price. If I am spending this budget on speakers will the 609 be good enough to get the best out of them or shall I try and exchange for the TXNR 709

Thanks in advance for your advice

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The MA Radius are great speakers for both movies and music. I have had them and was delighted with their sound and versatility. I wouldn't bother with the Radius sub as its ok but get a sub from BK the XLSS 400 and it will out perform the Radius in every way and is fantastic with music.

The Apex are in another league all together and if you can stretch to them they will blow you away. Again I would recommend you look at a sub from BK again to partner the Apex ie Monolith or 400.

I cannot comment on your Onkyo as I have no experience with them.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice on the speakers and is good to know about the sub as I would have purchased the sub that came with the package !

I am quite tempted to exchange receiver for the next model up 709 or a Yamaha 771 which shop recommended too

I managed to listen to apex today which sounded nice but was not blown away by them,but with you idea of different sub will save a bit there so might make it easier to swallow price wise

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The Apex need to be run in for a couple of hundred hours for them to telly shine.
The Apex sub is very good but IMHO there are alternatives ie BK as I mentioned. If you favour music I would lean towards the XXL 400 and for movies the Monolith +. This is a monster sized sub that goes deep.
What set up did you here the Apex with?
I got an MJ sub for for it's musical abilities.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
If you are looking at the MA Apex level you may also wish to consider the Dali Fazon LCR and the Paradigm Millenia. The 609 will drive these quite the thing but a higher specified amplifier will get more. I would opt for the better speakers with the 609 rather than improve the amp and reduce your speaker budget. The subwoofers at this level will give you big gains.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Ric, thanks for all the advice I have no idea which sub the used with the apex speaker was quite a small one may have been the one that come with the kef T series as that is what was on the wall

This is really doing my head in now ! The trouble is no one seems to have every speaker I want to listen too in one shop ! One other thing I noticed that when I was listening too the apex I started to mess around with the 609 and every thing was set flat so changed some of the settings to same as mine and sounded a lot better already.

I think I will upgrade to 709 as only have to pay difference between the too which is £220 and I can't see it being any worse if I don't do it very soon won't have this option!

Going to try and find some where to listen to Dali tomorrow as I like the look of them!, thanks for that Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts