Which setup should I choose?

littlened

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm after a basic decent setup that'll allow me to play music in the living room from our various iOS devices and from a media server.

I think I've narrowed down the options to the following;

1) Denon PMA520AE Amp, Denon DNP720AE Music Streamer, and Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers - Cost £374

2) Denon DRAN5 with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers - £370

3) Denon DRAN5 with Denon SC-N5 Speakers - £309

I suppose what I'd like to know is which of the above will provide the better and louder sound quality, and does anyone else have any similar suggestions with a maximum price of £400.

The Denon DRAN5 outputs 2x65watts while the PMA520 amp only outputs 2x45 watts, although I understand that to the ear there'll be very little difference between the two.

Is it better to get the seperates, which provides the ability to add-on and modify individual components, or get the all-in-one option with the amp and media server together, making the only changable component the speakers?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
personally from a SQ point of view seperates will give you more!

however an all in one has less cables & boxes if that bothers you.

if it were me I would go seperates

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are able to get all of your music onto your iThings then you can do something very different from the usual mid-fi components in your OP.

Try an AEX with a cheap DAC, a Fiio D3 as a minimum and a pair of the new Yamaha H5 active monitors, should be under £400 depending on the price you can find for the Yamahas. There are plenty of other dac/monitor combos you could try at comparable prices.

In terms of controlled volume, this combo would blow any of your Denon/Wharfedale setups into the weeds.

A

Anonymous

I bought the DRAN 5 for my daughter with MA BX1 speakers from music matters.

The SQ really surprised me and was very impressed.

Set up easy. Streams from NAS

Very good for the price and all in one box

matthewpiano

If the DRAN5 does everything you want I'd opt for that. These Denon all-in-ones are surprisingly good.

However, I also think it well worthwhile to check out the Yamaha actives suggested. Its an option I'm considering and when I briefly heard the previous model I thought they sounded superb - very natural and not what you might expect.

littlened

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Finally went with the Denon DRAN5 and a pair of wharfedale diamond 121's

Got the Denon for £199, refurbished and the speakers for £199 as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts