Which Router?

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm looking for a new router to replace my old wireless G model which can no longer handle our bandwidth requirements.

With 3 wireless N devices in the house, and wireless AC in its infancy, I would have thought there'd be some really solid, mature, Wireless N offerings out there, but it doesn't seem that clear-cut.

I'm looking for a dual-band router with built in ADSL modem.

Overall the Netgear N600 looks like a very well thought of option, but with AC now out and about, I'd have expected the price to come down a bit more.

Anyone got a solid recommendation? thoughts welcome.

thanks.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You won't go wrong with Netgear. I've had a DGN2200 N300 for a few years and had no issues beyond it occasionally falling off the internet and needing a reboot.

Just keep away from Belkin. My Netgear replaced a Belkin which was an absolute P.O.S, always overheating and crashing. Before I replaced it I even ripped it out of its case and sat it on the windowsill of an open window to try to control its overheating-issues. That worked to a degree, but its bare circuitboard was hardly nice to look at, it wasn't exactly safe, and my room got cold in winter. The wireless dongle it came with was just as flaky, sometimes it found networks, sometimes it didn't. I wouldn't touch anything by Belkin ever again.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
After a lot of research I went for the Billion 7800N Router/Modem. It has dual band b/g/n and a wealth of options to squeeze every last drop from your broadband connection.

I'm really impressed with it and regularly get 7Mb from an 'upto 8Mb' line even though I am 2 miles from the exchange down a flaky cable that weaves amongst the trees down a country lane.

Very strong WiFi signal as well and is the first router to reach everywhere in my house.

It is currently providing broadband to 15 devices in the house!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I use a Belkin N600 which is less than £90 the way you want it. This has worked perfectly since purchase and replaced an earlier Belkin that also functioned flawlessly for years. Dual band, I have a 1tb hard-disc plugged in so that I can play my iTunes rips without the need for a computer to be on.

Excellent product, highly recommended. :)

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I bought the Netgear N600 quite soon after it become available & it was really bad at getting and maintaining an ADSL connection (lots of dissatisfied customer comments on the Netgears forums). A few weeks later new firmware improved things alot; but it was still awful. The longest it kept connected was 2 days, and that only happened once. It usually varied from around 5 minutes to 2-3 hours before it again dropped the ADSL connection. Although PC Pro do highly rate it (and when it worked for me it was much faster than the Belkin), PC Pro do qualify their recommendation by saying "It's unreliable with older ADSL 1 lines" so I guess thats what I must have.

My experiance has been the opposite of MajorFubar in that I previously used a Belkin modem/router and after a few more joyless weeks with the Netgear returned to my old Belkin (G+ Mimo), which continues to work very effectively and very very rarely loses its connection. I did try the N600 again about 2 months ago to see if it was any better but it just as bad and there were no new firmware updates available; so I swopped it out again.

However, I too am keeping an eye on the new wave of modem/routers coming out. I may try a DrayTec next as they seem to have a good reputation for maintaining a connection.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Twill, if you are with Virgin they have a brilliant all in one router... £50.00

Failing that... this : Belkin Router :

http://www.techspot.com/products/routers/belkin-f6d6230-4-double-n-wireless-router.13617/

A quite amazing router which I used with two sons and daughter used most evenings (two hard-wired and two wireless)... it handles everything thrown at it and can be had for around £46.00 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/Belkin-F6D6230-300-Mbps-4-Port-10-100-Wireless-N-Router-F6D6230uk4-/97373843

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I use the Billion 7800N as well - rock solid performance combined with a number of good features you'd expect (packet filtering, VPN, port mapping, DMZ, QoS etc. if you're so inclined).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts