which phono pre amp too go for???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi all starting too upgrade my kit its all cambridge audio at the mo, but looking at cyrus pre xvs @ smart power ,then cd player bit at a time ,also got a project 4 turntable which i plan too keep , two questions really whats the bestphono pre amp too go for with cyrus kit and also listened too b@w 684 floorstanders this week they sounded great but what else is worth a listen the 684 had great bass but was looking for something a bit cheaper but still with that kind of sound, looking too get phono amp asap as running thou my ca amp (640) at the mo, also wheres best too look any good shops on line??? ,thanks as allways pete

T

the record spot

Forget CA or NAD phono amps, with Cyrus kit, you could reasonably countenance something like a Trichord Dino - £300 and been around for so long now it's almost a vintage. Doesn't get much mention on here, but for quality kit, it's a cracking option.

EDIT: Just noticed you currently have CA; it it might be the Dino is once you've bought the Cyrus kit, unless you get one on a deal that's too good to pass up.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Forget CA or NAD phono amps, with Cyrus kit, you could reasonably countenance something like a Trichord Dino - £300 and been around for so long now it's almost a vintage. Doesn't get much mention on here, but for quality kit, it's a cracking option.

EDIT: Just noticed you currently have CA; it it might be the Dino is once you've bought the Cyrus kit, unless you get one on a deal that's too good to pass up.

thanks for the repliy spot is there any thing eles out there as £300 on a phono pre amp a bit much at the mo, as for the bit on the btm of your post sorry but didnt understand it ???? thanks pete

T

the record spot

Hi Pete,

I may have misread your post, but you've currently got Cambridge Audio gear and planning to upgrade over time to better stuff? I meant that the Dino would probably be too good an amp for the CA kit (no disrespect), but if you see one on a cheap deal (used, etc.) then I'd jump at it.

Failing that, if you are planning to upgrade, I'd go for the Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 which is about £100. If the budget's tight, Cambridge Audio's 640P at £60 is a steal.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Hi Pete,

I may have misread your post, but you've currently got Cambridge Audio gear and planning to upgrade over time to better stuff? I meant that the Dino would probably be too good an amp for the CA kit (no disrespect), but if you see one on a cheap deal (used, etc.) then I'd jump at it.

Failing that, if you are planning to upgrade, I'd go for the Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 which is about £100. If the budget's tight, Cambridge Audio's 640P at £60 is a steal.

ok spot will have a look around i,m doing it a bit at a time as funds are tight, what sort of speakers do you think for the cyrus spot?? i like floorstanders and front room is 5mx 4m ,i like the b@w 684,s but what else is worth a go?? thanks pete

A

Anonymous

or what about this i see on superfi,s site CREEK OBH15 MM/MC PHONO PRE AMPLIFIER

would this pair up with cyrus kit atall ????

T

the record spot

Depends on your budget and the sound you like, but if funds are squeezed, then - new - Q Acoustics 1050i will give you plenty of bang for your buck (£330 but widely available for less than £300) and used I'd be inclined to point you towards the Linn Keilidh. A lot of speaker for the money, was around £900 new, but a mint pair would be around £300. Very popular and plenty of beef.

Not heard them with Cyrus hifi, but both might have a bit more beef for the (I hear) leaner sounding Cyrus kit when you buy it.

T

the record spot

pete speed:
or what about this i see on superfi,s site CREEK OBH15 MM/MC PHONO PRE AMPLIFIER

Probably - worth checking, not in a position to do so myself just now - but see no reason why not/. Good brand too Creek.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:pete speed:

Probably - worth checking, not in a position to do so myself just now - but see no reason why not/. Good brand too Creek.

ok spot thanks for your help mate will get one this week
emotion-21.gif
,any else with an advice out there on the subject??????

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Not easy to find anymore, but the rotel rq 970bx is very good as you can use mm or mc cartridges and it's build like a battleship and mine still gives great sound. Ebay or hifi classifieds may be worth a look

A

Anonymous

gwynne61:Not easy to find anymore, but the rotel rq 970bx is very good as you can use mm or mc cartridges and it's build like a battleship and mine still gives great sound. Ebay or hifi classifieds may be worth a look

just seen one on ebay if its ok with my project4 and cyrus amp ,may have a bid!! thanks what do think ????

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Not familiar with your amp & tt, but mine has performed well with rotel and audiolab amps of varying specs and dual 505-4 tt and rega p3 tt. Have seen the one on ebay £70 -80seems ok pricewise and should easily resell. Check for online reviews as I don't think anyone could make the final decision for you, but I would be surprised if you were disappointed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts