Which option: amp or speakers?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm planning on improving my current sound, and I'm caught in a dilemma between which component will reap the most benefits.

Current line-up:

Amps: Arcam A85/P90
Speakers: B&W 1NTs
Turntable: Roksan Radius w Goldring2400
CD: Arcam 92
DAC: Chord 64 receiving Lossless files via Airport Express/iMac

I'm really happy, at the moment, with both my my main sources, (vinyl and Lossless files), but would like to give the whole thing a bit more oomph. The detailing is pretty good, but I seem to lack a cohesive, integrated yet open soundstage when the volume goes upwards. Hence, my dilemma.

I need a few prompts for my shortlist, which currently includes Leema and Moon amps and Spendor/B&W/Dali speakers in the price bracket given below. Any more thoughts, suggestions out there?

Budget: £2-3K

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
To me youve got a good amp and CD system so i'd personally be looking at upgrading the speakers and cabling.

Have you considered the B&W 805 standmount speakers?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Change the speakers.

Proac and Arcam amps seem to have some good synergy going on, PMC get a good shout too but like Dan said, 805s seem to me the most obvious progress.

Keep the DAC, whatever you do
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

If you fancy a bit of a change, Densen make some great amps, integrated and pre/power combos too (B200 pre-/B310 power would be in your price range for instance).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:
Change the speakers.

Proac and Arcam amps seem to have some good synergy going on, PMC get a good shout too but like Dan said, 805s seem to me the most obvious progress.

Keep the DAC, whatever you do
emotion-5.gif

I have been hankering after the 805s for some time now, but with a toddler in our midst, I reckoned floorstanders or an amp would be the most pragmatic option.

The DAC is staying put, don't worry. The rest of my system is trying to punch above it's weight in its presence I'm told, but it's a wondrous thing to behold. The glorified biscuit tin, as one friend christened it on first inspection, is what I'm slowly building my system around. I say slowly but I've had it six or seven years without any related upgrades, so it's perhaps a tad less than slowly.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Go for the 805's along with Partington speaker stands and some blu-tac :)

If the speakers are down well; im sure your toddler wont knock them off; more so if theyre on Partington stands which are very heavy!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've got my aging B&W's on Partington Dreadnoughts at the moment and we've had one or two scares with the youngest. My wife may need some convincing of the safety aspect of upgrading to ergonomically similar speakers. Though to be fair, she's all for the sonic upgrade. She thinks amp AND* speakers need to be overhauled.

* sorry, haven't mastered italics, as yet. Or should that be ITALICS?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:If you fancy a bit of a change, Densen make some great amps, integrated and pre/power combos too (B200 pre-/B310 power would be in your price range for instance).

I do like the look of the Densen kit, I just need to find a dealer in my locale who'll let me hear it. Also, preferred the streamlined one box integrated option over my current rather clunky double Arcam combo.

Anybody posit a decent Ebay/second hand "value" for my Arcam A85/P90 amps?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts