Which one of these bargains is the best?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
While waiting replies to my earlier post (see HDTV tuner card/USB stick for laptops), I have done a research to find out the best available deals online. After spending the entire Sunday on it, I have come up with the following list. Can you please tell me which one seems to be the best buy given the price/spec ratio (by the way, What HiFi, I have found the world's second (co-) cheapest 19" HD ready TV given your coverage/test of the Computer Supermarket's £159 TV in your last issue)? My list is as follows: Thank you!
Brand
Acer

DGM

Mikomi

Samsung
Price
£299 (down from £532)

£279

£159

£299 (down from £399)
Screen
26”

32”

19”

22”
Pixel
1366x768

1366x768

1440x900

1680x1050

Contrast ratio

600:1

1200:1

1000:1

700:1
Brightness
500cd/m2

500cd/m2

300cd/m2

300cd/m2

Viewing angle

170/170

176x176

160x110

160x160

Connectivity

HDMI, DVI, 3xScart, DVB-T, Component, Composite, SPDIF, PC, Headphone (POP, PIP, PBP features)

HDMI, 2xScart, VGA, component, composite, S-Video, YPbPr

HDMI, Scart, component, composite, Headphone, Rear AV and DC

HDMI, DVI, Scart, PC input, component, composite, S-Video, Optical connection, Headphone, (PIP and PBP)
Tuner
Dual tuner, Digital (DVB-T) and analogue

Analogue

Analogue

Analogue (plus DVI socket)
Sound
Dolby Digital, SRS, WOW, BBE

Stereo, 2x8W

Stereo, 2x3W RMS

SRS digital surround sound, 2X3w RMS
Weight
16kg

16.7kg

5.4kg with stand

7.4kg with stand

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Difficult to comment on performance as we haven't tested these exact models, but we have tested a couple of other Acer ones (19in and 27in) and they've been good value, honest, unpretentious TVs. Worth noting that the Acer is the only one with a Freeview tuner too.

Never come across the DGM or Mikomi, but Samsung have some very good sets at the moment, so I'd say it's a toss up between the Acer and Samsung. How important is screen size (there's quite a difference between the two) and Freeview to you? That could be the deciding factor.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the swift reply, Andy. It is much appreciated and helps me further shorten the short list. The Acer one is Acer AT2605. The only problem with it seems to be the low contrast ratio (600:1). DGM stands for Digimate, and I have read very good reviews for this particular make I mentioned (except for the sound quality). Its double contrast ratio (1200:1) is good, yet it doesn't have any DVI interface (how important is the DVI?). The Samsung clearly sounds good, plus its low weight (and higher resolution) is convenient. As to the freeview, I have got one freeview setbox already. So, I don't necessarily need a built-in one despite its advantages. Budget-wise, I would prefer Mikomi, but would I be losing out a lot given its low connectivity features? So one final advice would be highly appreciated. Lastly, can I do without any of them if I get a HD TV tuner or USB stick for my laptop as I asked in an earlier posting to which I still keenly and kindly expect some replies. Many thanks!

TRENDING THREADS