Which one:DVD 5.1 multichannel audio output or digital Coaxial (via RCA/phono)???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I'm about to buy a new DVD player with HDMI to improve the picture over my current pioneer's component output (to my projector).

My problem is that my Yamaha amp has not got HDMI input (bought it in 2004) but has got the choice of either multichannel 5.1 input or digital coax(which I currently use).

I think I've narrowed the choice of player down to either a Pioneer DV610v or the Toshiba XD-E500. The Pioneer has multichannel audio and the tosh has coax digital.

Can anyone tell me if I would notice a difference between the two audio options???

Much thanks for any feedback,

J.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
In laymans terms, if you use the multichannel output, you're decoding in the player (and using the player's DAC), if you use the digital coax connection you're using the amp to decode (if you select bitstream) and using the DAC in the amp. I would always use the digital coax route, unless you have to use multichannel e.g. for SACD or DVD-A.

Stick with coax!

A

Anonymous

Much thanks, I knew the technical differences, but have neverhad the chance to hear the differences....cool, it'll save me buying 5 more cables!

J

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Jack_O_Byte:
Much thanks, I knew the technical differences, but have neverhad the chance to hear the differences....cool, it'll save me buying 5 more cables!

J

I don't think there would be much difference either way but the coaxial route is less messy and cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts