Which old B&W speaker for warm sound?

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I have listen to many speakers, Epos, Kef, Tannoy, MA, B&W, Q acoustics, Dali, Dynaudio, and can't listen to modern speakers. For my ears they all too bright and not warm sounding. That's why I 'm looking at a old B&W speaker. But which type? B&W had several types.

I'am also looking at Kef Reference Model One and Two. For me the latest Kef who sounded good.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
It's probably part the fact that tweeters have improved so much in the last 15 years so certainly recordings especially older ones will sound completely different from what you expect. You could combat it by clever system choice on source and amplifier to suit your needs.

If you intend to stick with the focus on just selecting speakers your chance of getting something that suits your prefered sound would be buying speakers from the early 00's or older I would guess.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Some how I don't quite agree that improvement of tweeters has made speakers sound much brighter. Speakers are just made to grab the attention of the listener, especially in the budget price range. Its been mentioned on this web stie countless times about speakers sounding bright these days. I have always found Kef speakers to be warn & very smooth sounding. You may well be on the right track to find out more about the Kef ref.. models. I know @Cno will be able to give you more advice on the kef range if he happens to read your post.

Alternatively go off mainstream speakers and have a listen to hand made speakers, you may just get the sound your looking for.

All the best.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought dynaudio because I knew how it sounds.This probably joke*biggrin* may be entry level speakers sound like that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts