Which high end 4K Blu-Ray player are people buying these days?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Now available:

D

Deleted member 2457

Now available:

Website not working for me!

D

Deleted member 2457

I can’t seem to register with the Audiocom on my iPad though I can add to basket just not register to checkout.

D

Deleted member 2457

I’m putting my Panasonic 9000 on eBay, can’t see the point no difference to a £300 player and don’t use it for playing CDs
I’ve sold 2 Cambridge Audio 4K Blu-ray players that we had on eBay too.

Retrosi

Dec 25, 2021
Visit site
Earlier in this thread I read the suggestion people are using game consoles as a 4k Blu-ray.
I have the XBox series X, the series S has a less powerful processor and graphics card but more to the threads point no ability to play Discs.
It has HDR and works both via my TV's remote and its own controller.
One thing, you need to install its own Blu-ray software so make sure you still have space on its hard drive, 108mb

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
The big problem is that at some stage soon your expensive disc spinner will be obsolete. I have a Panasonic DP UB9000 (very latest firmware) that disappointingly won't play nicely with the latest James Bond movie in 4K. the disc came with a free blu-ray copy so I was able to finish the film, but it is deeply disappointing that a not very old and very expensive player isn't able to cut the mustard so soon after launch playing a disc allegedly in the correct format. I shouldn't really be surprised as I have quite a few now obsolete and worthless high end video disc spinners aka transports littering the attic. When my Panasonic does spin discs the image is so much better than the streamed version of the film, but I guess the writing is on the wall - it should go now while it's worth something. I will try the disc in my friends Oppo and see if I am being a bit premature, but i think it will be basic disc players from now on that I can afford to replace every year or so.

D

Deleted member 197450

The big problem is that at some stage soon your expensive disc spinner will be obsolete. I have a Panasonic DP UB9000 (very latest firmware) that disappointingly won't play nicely with the latest James Bond movie in 4K. the disc came with a free blu-ray copy so I was able to finish the film, but it is deeply disappointing that a not very old and very expensive player isn't able to cut the mustard so soon after launch playing a disc allegedly in the correct format. I shouldn't really be surprised as I have quite a few now obsolete and worthless high end video disc spinners aka transports littering the attic. When my Panasonic does spin discs the image is so much better than the streamed version of the film, but I guess the writing is on the wall - it should go now while it's worth something. I will try the disc in my friends Oppo and see if I am being a bit premature, but i think it will be basic disc players from now on that I can afford to replace every year or so.
Sorry to hear that Rob.

michael hoy

Hi Rob, I can confirm that the JB disc plays perfectly in my OPPO 203.

Last edited:

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
This is embarrassing! Turns out it was a disc covered in thick greasy finger prints. The disc now plays perfectly. I will say in mitigation, it was a brand new disc unwrapped and placed carefully into my disc player! I did move it in and out of the draw a few times, but I am sure I never touched the disc surface.
So I apologise to Panasonic for maligning their product!

D

Deleted member 197450

This is embarrassing! Turns out it was a disc covered in thick greasy finger prints. The disc now plays perfectly. I will say in mitigation, it was a brand new disc unwrapped and placed carefully into my disc player! I did move it in and out of the draw a few times, but I am sure I never touched the disc surface.
So I apologise to Panasonic for maligning their product!
That’s good news. You could try and exchange the disc for another one.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
I know the answer to this, the IT team at work always say turn it off and turn it on again!
Well, it’s certainly the place to start. Disconnect the power for 20- 30 seconds reconnect and try again. Works on everything from microwaves to PCs.
Having recently been embarrassed by not going back to basics ( not checking the cleanliness of a disc) it is where I would start.
If you are not leaving your Oppo on stand by this of course won’t help.
Might be worth trying one of those special cleaning discs that have tiny brushes to clean the laser lens.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
My recollection of my time (a couple of months only) with an Oppo 205 was how much was going on behind the scenes every time I used it. A very sophisticated machine I never loved by always admired. By the time I decided I might actually buy one they were no longer available, hence he Panasonic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts