which gear to buy?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
after reading loads of reviews etc Ive decided to go and buy the Sony KDL-40W2000 LCD tv

Going to buy PS3 at the same time- so the TV will mainly be used for gaming and films so picture quality is a must.

Now on to the other gear which is where Im stuck! I know PS3 has blu-ray so does this mean I should go for a HD dvd player?

Im also unsure on what AMP I will need to buy? I suppose I have a budget of around £600-£800 for an AMP

Should I stick to all the same make (Sony)

It was suggested that I go for the B&W MT20 system! would anyone recommend anything different?

What Im after are replies from people who own the LCD Im buying and what gear they have for it? and just any helpful advise!

many thanks and look forward to your help.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="durbin"]
I know PS3 has blu-ray so does this mean I should go for a HD dvd player?

[/quote]

The PS3 plays Blu-ray, and can also play and upscale standard DVD to 1080p. It's not true high-definition, but it's as near as you're going to get from standard DVD. If you mean an HD DVD player, I wouldn't bother yet - the whole Blu-ray/HD DVD thing is still shaking itself out, and it's inevitable that prices of HD DVD players will tumble as the 'format war' really kicks off.

[quote user="durbin"]

Im also unsure on what AMP I will need to buy? I suppose I have a budget of around £600-£800 for an AMP

Should I stick to all the same make (Sony)

[/quote]

If you stick with Sony, the receivers to go for are the STR-DA3200ES or STR-DA5200ES, both of which will take the sound directly from the Blu-ray machine via the HDMI link. Both are within your amp budget.

Alternatively, you could look at the less expensive Onkyo TX-SR605, which is £400 or so.

[quote user="durbin"]

It was suggested that I go for the B&W MT20 system! would anyone recommend anything different?

[/quote]

Yes, the MT20 will work well with the products mentioned above. The Tannoy Arena package is also well woth a listen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts