Which frequency band is the most important to get right?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
300 - 600... it's where the 'mud' is, but hopefully this was taken care of by good mixing and mastering.
Regarding pop/rock, I always thought that the bass and kick drove the music? (that's what my drummer and bass player tell me).
Bear in mind that 'treble' is typically considered to be from 4 - 20k
The tweeter in most 2 way speakers is only reproducing sound above about 2.5kHz (all the treble) which is mostly attack, crispness, sibilance (vocals) and harmonics. None of which really drives the music at all, unless you count the attack of the snare and the kick, which is around 4K.
After age 50 most people cannot even hear details at average volume levels any higher than 11K... by age 70 that drops to around 9.5K, but there's plenty of old rockers who have no problem 'driving' the music, despite their loss of treble hearing (and when you add tinnitus to the mix, the treble gets even more washed out).

Reactions: Dom

Dom

Interesting answers folks, and your right to think that all the frequencies are equally important - But we know speakers, DAC's and amplifiers have to make trade off's for musicality.

For example my Sennheiser headphones have a spike somewhere in the higher frequency's and the bass has been dialed down somewhat, for a lean sound and that's what I love about them.

Witterings

All frequencies are necessary to make the music worthwhile Dom.
But uncompromised HF are essential for me.
No matter how good speakers may be at all other frequencies.....any 'rolled off' treble is a dealbreaker.

I tried many speakers that were awful with any brighter recordings, levels varying between unlistenable to and fatigue after 1/2 hour due to the treble on fairly flat recordings.

So many modern speaker manufacturers are known to follow the V Curve with elevated bass / treble .... does that mean anything that doesn't follow that is considered as "rolled off" and you personal prefernce is teh slightly elevated HF's?

Reactions: Tinman1952

Gray

I tried many speakers that were awful with any brighter recordings, levels varying between unlistenable to and fatigue after 1/2 hour due to the treble on fairly flat recordings.

So many modern speaker manufacturers are known to follow the V Curve with elevated bass / treble .... does that mean anything that doesn't follow that is considered as "rolled off" and you personal prefernce is teh slightly elevated HF's?
Rolled off treble means a reduced level, something that sounds noticeably unnatural.
I don't want anything elevated though (a reason I've never used any available loudness function on amps).

No 'V' curved speakers (or headphones) for me.
Neither do I want 'forgiving', just neutral, so that my best recordings are not compromised (as they, necessarily would be)- for the sake of making any others more listenable 👍.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Personally if a speaker doesnt sound "right"/near as damit to the human voice then it's pretty much a no go for me. So that could be from low mid bass all the way to the treble region. Thats all very important and is where all the excitement mostly happens.

And that flat sound that everybody pines for just sounds drab to me, I want a excitement hence my speaker choice.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Depends on your room acoustics. Get it right and every frequency should sparkle.
What's the frequency, pengiun?

Untitled-design.png

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately the answer is all of them.....
Reminds me of the sound engineer at a long-gone venue in Kentish Town. Remember asking for more guitar in the monitor & she shouts back “no can do- everything is already on full!”

of all the gigs that should’ve destroyed my hearing, that place was louder than loud.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts