which format to burn cds?

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, lost all my music so starting again to upload on my pc, what's the best format to upload my cds? Im after best quality possible...

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
What's the difference between FLAC and ALAC? il be burning off cds also for my car (not mp3 style). Also brings me on to my next question. Iv just got a normal laptop, nothing fancy, going to have my music on there and also a external hard drive. At some point this year il also be in the process of getting Rotel RMB 1575 and RSP 1572, how do I get my music to play through that/my speakers...? Don't really understand the DAC/NAS thing yet....

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Can we just clarifiy a basic thing, do you really mean 'burn CDs' which is writing music or data from your computer to a blank CD, or do you mean 'rip CDs', which is extracting music or data from a CD to your computer?

MajorFubar said:
Can we just clarifiy a basic thing, do you really mean 'burn CDs' which is writing music or data from your computer to a blank CD, or do you mean 'rip CDs', which is extracting music or data from a CD to your computer?

I think the OP wants to rip CDs onto his computer first, & then create CD copies to play in his car.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ah fair do's I should have read better!

bigboss said:
I think your car will accept only.wav format, which is the format CDs come in.

Just so there's no confusion, normal audio CDs don't contain WAV files. It's likely his car player won't play a CD containing WAV files. However if it's quite new it might well play MP3 CDs as well as CDs created from WAV files (or any other format) and burned as a 'normal' PCM audio CD.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I've got a 32GB micro-SD card in my phone with a selection of albums in FLAC (mostly) which is plugged into the aux input in my car, sounds pretty decent. I'd only go mp3 if you want EVERYTHING on the player, I don't, so it saves me the bother of having to convert before putting stuff on the phone.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Ah fair do's I should have read better!

bigboss said:
I think your car will accept only.wav format, which is the format CDs come in.

Just so there's no confusion, normal audio CDs don't contain WAV files. It's likely his car player won't play a CD containing WAV files. However if it's quite new it might well play MP3 CDs as well as CDs created from WAV files (or any other format) and burned as a 'normal' PCM audio CD.
We have two cars, a seven year old Mondeo (quite new :)) and a one year old Mazda 6. Both have systems that happily play mp3. Other family members find CDs easier to deal with than a seperate mp3 player (and the Modeo does not have an aux in), so the Harry Potter stories are on highly compressed mp3s.

TRENDING THREADS