Which electronics manufacturers can you do upgrades?

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I know you can with Cyrus do in casting upgrades or new box swaps as upgrades, but what other manufacturers allow you to upgrade units so you pay at or near to the extra cost of the new unit (so you don’t loose on depreciation and have to buy totally new)

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Upgrading-UK-Consumer-April-2017.pdf

QuestForThe13thNote said:
I know you can with Cyrus do in casting upgrades or new box swaps as upgrades, but what other manufacturers allow you to upgrade units so you pay at or near to the extra cost of the new unit (so you don’t loose on depreciation and have to buy totally new)

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Upgrading-UK-Consumer-April-2017.pdf

Not a massive player but Tom Evans Audio does.

I have had preamp upgraded once and phono preamp twice.

To a degree I believe Leema does too.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Can't think of many upgrades offered by the manufacturers. Upgrading your older kit to either make it contemporary or higher up the same range couldn't be more polar opposite to most manufacturers' currect sales philosophy, where they want you to throw away the old and buy new.

jjbomber

QuestForThe13thNote said:

Naim let you add bluetooth, Spotify etc to older kit. Not so sure on the price though.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

What about heed?, but probably a minor player.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

A good thing with the cyrus upgrade route is you could buy a £1000 x power five years ago, and upgrade it to a stereo 200 for a grand with a dealer discount, which is roughly the price new (or 1900 to be precise) where you don’t loose anything of your investment in the x power. You’d probably only get 400 for such a five year old model if you sold it. Max of 500. So you’ve lost half the value of the amp by setting out to buy a brand new newer model.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Atc and audiovector are mainly speaker manufacturers though.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
yeah, speakers where the real upgrades are anyway and they can upgrade 30 year old pair with their latest drivers and electronics behind them.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
With the notable exceptions listed above "Not Many" would appear to be the norm. I've been one of the really unlucky ones who bought some older units advertised as having that capability and watching as they went broke. I had an upgradeable Micromega Stage CD player, they disappeared. Tag McLaren amps, which were software and hardware upgradeable. They were taken over.

It's a shame really, as I think it's a good approach.

Probably too many people trying to sell next year's AV receiver rather than upgrade your kit.

Oldskool1976

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
lpv said:
yeah, speakers where the real upgrades are anyway and they can upgrade 30 year old pair with their latest drivers and electronics behind them.

+1

Epos also do some active modules which can be added to some of there passive range.

Bet they sound good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts