Control Apps and Firmware Upgrades.

IainS

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been using network audio streamers for at least 6 years and currently have several in operation in my home. While I assiduously read the reviews in What HiFi, I find them limited in many respects because although they faithfully investigate the sound qualities of these units they fail in two (for me) important areas. For my 60+ year old ears the variations in sound quality can be marginal at best and as electronics improve, almost impossible to distinguish (and none of my family or friends can do so either). However I would suggest to the reviewers in WH that two areas that are in general limited to a couple of throw away comments should be covered in more detail.

First – Firmware upgrades. Depending on the unit this can be done up to 4 or 5 times a year. So how it is done becomes important. I have one £2500 piece of kit (only a year old) that got 5 stars in a WH review that comes with a sheet of A4 instructions (that are modified with each update), requires a Windows PC or laptop, and needs you to stick a ballpoint pen or similar object in the back of the unit while connecting the power, waiting for a popup window on your PC (which may or may not appear depending on your version of Windows and the thoroughness of your virus scanner) copying a file across and then going on to stage 2. I use a Mac so have to borrow a friend’s laptop (it says nothing of this requirement when you purchase the product). I also have to disconnect all cables to get at the back of the unit and then reconnect (a process which takes a while because of where the unit is situated).

I have another unit which takes 25 minutes to upgrade but at least requires no user intervention. The best is one that does a check for firmware upgrades on power up, notifies the user on the unit screen AND App screen, completes the upgrade in under 2 minutes, reboots and away you go.

Second – Control Apps. You only realise the limitations of these apps after using them for a while. For the units I have they vary considerably. One well known brand only supports NAS and PC folders to a depth of 4. So If you organise your files well e.g. MusicJazzTradArtistAlbums then the content of the Albums folders are not displayed on the App and cannot be played using it. Some Apps do not rescale to larger screen sizes and so you are stuck trying to read minute text (difficult with all the info on a Classical album). Some do not allow favourites to be deleted. Many apps vary in functionality between Apple and Android. In many cases these difficulties can be overcome by using BubbleUpNp a great control app (for Android only), but my £2500 unit does not support Bubble (all my others do).

The availability of a good control App is important and would influence my final decision in purchasing a product, but review coverage is sketchy at best.

So please WH can we have more detailed coverage of these two areas?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I agree with you on the app side of things (although the unit that is limited to four directory levels is not likely to be due to the app but a limitation of the unit's firmware).

As far as the upgrade requirements and frequency goes I think that's going to be impossible for WHF to comment on, it's unlikely that they'll have any particular device for more than about a week, so long term issues such as how many firmware updates are issued are going to be difficult to judge.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
IainS said:
No its not due to firmware Bubble sees all the folders.

Well that would be bypassing the unit's own firmware limitations. The audio is not going to be passing through the control app. Once you set the device playing you should be able to turn off the device the control app is running on and the music will continue playing. The device will be accessing the music folders directly, not via the app. If it can't see further than 4 folder levels without using Bubble then it is DEFINITELY the firmware. And it's definitely crap but that's a different matter.

IainS

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Its a simple matter to check on this on the products website but many users may not even be aware of the issues. At one time the manufacturer of my product had to have units returned to the suppliers for upgrade. Surely its not unreasonable to ask a group that reviews consumer products to comment on these potential problems?

IainS

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If I control access via the Unit itself I can see all folders though because of the limited display and the number of CDs I have this takes a long time. Their app doesnt allow that, Bubble does. Therefore its the App?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
IainS said:
If I control access via the Unit itself I can see all folders though because of the limited display and the number of CDs I have this takes a long time. Their app doesnt allow that, Bubble does. Therefore its the App?

Doesn't the app let you select by artist, album, track or whatever? If so, that should make all the layers of folders invisible and just take you straight to the music. If not, it could just be down to the UPnP software you're using on the storage device – it's worth experimenting.

IainS

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes I can do this, but with over 4000 CDs many classical this is a much slower way of doing it. I use Bubble instead of the provided control app. This has the additional advantage of an option allowing folder contents to be arranged by track number as opposed to alphabetically so you can play albums in the order they were intended using the Folder option. However my main point was that this type of limitation should be highlighted in the reviews. Far more valuable to me than say 'this sytem lacks a little punch'! Also as I have said, my £2500 unit does not support Bubble I assume because of some weird firmware programming. WHF should have a section on firmware upgrading and control apps

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
IainS said:
This has the additional advantage of an option allowing folder contents to be arranged by track number as opposed to alphabetically so you can play albums in the order they were intended using the Folder option.

If your system is playing tracks alphabetically rather then in track order by default, then you have something amiss in your UPnP server software or player, as it's not 'seeing' the 'track' tag. You shouldn't have to resort to folder view to sort this.

I've read reviews (not in WHF) where this has been commented on with particular hardware, and the author has found the solution is just to change the UPnP software on the server. Some players are fussy about this kind of thing.

But I agree with you that more in-depth reviews would be a good idea, although there seems to be a widespread trend (not just WHF) for first, fast and feeble.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Does your expensive piece of kit not have a user forum where you could research and question other users?

Sonos and Oppo, for example, have a wealth of user opnion and knowledge available.

TRENDING THREADS