Which DVD player for good CD audio?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm currently the proud owner of a Denon DVD-1930 player and it's superb for video but I am not convinced it gives me good audio CD reproduction. I'm considering an upgrade and am looking to spend about £200. Am I better off buying a £100 DVD player and a £100 CD player or £200 on a DVD player? I'd prefer to keep to a DVD player for single box convenience but which ones are any good at CD as well as DVD at this kind of price? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
If you gonna spend over £500 then I would say spend £250 on each but £100 cd player is not gonna be any improvement over £200 dvd player on sound. Pioneer does some nice sounding DVD player but it gonna be hard push to noticed much different from your current Denon for the budget you have in mind.

So I would keep the Denon and spend £200 on Cambridge audio or a NAD cd player.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
What about a second hand Arcam DV78 or even DV88 from eBay, you can pick them up for £200ish, should be both a better DVD player and CD player than spending £100 on each.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gwyndy"]What about a second hand Arcam DV78 or even DV88 from eBay, you can pick them up for £200ish, should be both a better DVD player and CD player than spending £100 on each.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more... I have a DV88 second hand bargain from eBay for only £160 without a remote. At first I thought I had bought a plum because the picture was all green, hence the price. I managed to track down a universal remote that worked and found the only problem was it had been setup for component video output and not scart, so all is fine now. Anyhow, picture quality is amazing and CD playback is easily as good as Arcam's mid range CD players which cost around £600. So if you're looking for a 1 box bargain solution, the DV88 hits the spot.

nads

[quote user="fr0g"]Why not buy an external DAC? I'm sure the Arcam is a perfectly decent transport.
I have just recieved and am burning in a very cheap option to try out on my Arcam Alpha 7SE/A80 and MS 902Sig speaker combo.

I can't really comment much yet, but this is the thing...
Beresford TC-7510 MK6/3 [/quote]
Feed back will be very much appreciated as i am considering one of those giant killers.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention the DVD player that could show some dedicated cd player the door....

OPPO DV-970HD

excellent cd replay

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say I have an Arcam DV79 and although it sounds great on CD it's not a patch on my Arcam CD92T for CD replay. It is however fantastic for DVD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts