Which CD player to partner Audiolab 800A

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Just got myself a great deal on a Audiolab 8000A over on e-bay; just wondering whether to go for a new(old) cd player also....which older players either from the same era as the audiolab or a little newer would bring out the best in this amp.....want to stay away from Arcam....I have the Alpha 1 in my bedroom system and the Alpha 7se in my living room set up.....so looking for a 'change'...thinking maybe Marantz CD63......?

matthewpiano

What about a Rega Planet? I once auditioned an 8000S with a Rega Apollo and the combination worked extremely well. Planets are often to be found on E-bay at reasonable prices.

If you go for the Marantz I think the Audiolab deserves a CD63 KI-Sig if you can find a good one.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Congratulations on the Audiolab 8000A. I recently auditioned one. Although I eventually plumped for a Cyrus 2/PSX, the Audiolab really impressed me. It delivers a really wide sound-stage. Beautiful-sounding amp.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I've got a Rotel RCD-991. I demo'd it against a whole bunch of players (all going through the audiolab, before I tried the Cyrus 2), including Denon, Orelle, Marantz, Kenwood and Cyrus CD8X/PSX-R. It,without doubt, wiped the floor with all of them, and not by a small margin. The others either seemed coarse or compressed. Even the Cyrus seemed boxed-in in comparison.

It was Rotel's flagship model in 1998, I believe, costing £825 new. If you can find one, I'd get one. They are amazing.

A

Anonymous

- Edit: This was meant as a response to matthewpiano's contribution. H

That sounds like a good idea (even though I don't know the Audiolab), as the Rega Planet (2000 model) is a great CD player despite its age. Very natural sounding...

matthewpiano, what you say intrigues me, since I have a Rega Planet and look for a new Amp. Could you say a bit more about the sonic characteristics of the Apollo-Audiolab combo you've heard? (This would probably profit the OP, too.)

Thanks a lot,

Hedgehog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts