Which CD player to pair with PM6005?

dgiglio

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi to all I'm tempted to buy a Marantz PM6005, now I'm wondering which is the best CD player to pair with. The choice is between the models CD5005 and CD6005, sincerely, considered the price step, it doesn't seems to me that the CD6005 has so much added value. But I'm open to other opinions. Thanks in advance. Daniele

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Well, the CD5005 has no USB input but is has the same DAC as the CD6005 (CS4398 ) so it's up to you.

You can also use your blurayplayer as transport because the PM6005 also has a DAC (also the CS4398 ).

dgiglio

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Indeed, the PM6005 already has a DAC on its own, that I'll avail to connect to digital music source of some sort. Hence I think I can perfectly do without the optional USB input on the CD6005.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I am not really familiar with the digital connections on the PM6005, but the first question you should ask yourself is if you only want a cd-player to connect to your amp or if you want more sources. I can imagine that you might want to connect your pc to your amp. In that case you need the dac in your amp to give you the best sound quality. If you use the dac for your pc-based music then you may not be able to use the dac for the cd-transport. I may be wrong about that. Maybe someone can comment on this?

Another argument to go for a Marantz cd-player as opposed to any other cd-player is that aestethically it matches with the PM6005. To save some money you could look for the older cd5004 or cd6004. You can get nice discounts on these players. The new ones may be a bit better sounding, but you might not hear the difference when you audition them.

D

Deleted member 108165

Peter Kudelstaart said:
Another argument to go for a Marantz cd-player as opposed to any other cd-player is that aestethically it matches with the PM6005. To save some money you could look for the older cd5004 or cd6004. You can get nice discounts on these players. The new ones may be a bit better sounding, but you might not hear the difference when you audition them.

I would totally agree with this. I went from the PM/CD6004 pairing to the Pearl Lite PM/SA pairing and I can tell you the difference was definitely NOT night and day; so I would imagine the difference between the CD players would be too close to call.

matthewpiano

To clarify, the PM6005 has two seperate digital inputs. One is a co-axial and the other an optical. There is no USB input.

Therefore, a computer could be connected up to the optical input (as long as you have an optical output on your computer, or at least the means to convert the USB output to optical), leaving the co-axial input free for a disc player.

I'm not fussed about connecting my computer up at present so I just use the optical input for the CD player. I also still have an analogue connection from the CD player to the CD input on the amp which gives me the option of a different sort of sound from the older DAC design of my Philips CD player.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Out of interest MP, can you notice much of a difference in that case between the two DACs (old vs new)? If you got the CD6005 could you use the same remote? By the way all, in what respect is the CD6005 better than the new CD5005?

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
Out of interest MP, can you notice much of a difference in that case between the two DACs (old vs new)? If you got the CD6005 could you use the same remote? By the way all, in what respect is the CD6005 better than the new CD5005?

From the Marantz website, and unlike the 5004, the 5005 uses the the same dac as the 6005, has the same digital outputs and has the same disc mechanism/tramsport, so the main upgrade for the 6005 seems to be the usb input. I notice that Richer Sounds have reduced the price of the 5004, presumably prior to stocking the 5005. The changes should make the 5005 better than the 5004, but if you just want it as transport then the dac change doesn't matter.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
Peter Kudelstaart said:

I would totally agree with this. I went from the PM/CD6004 pairing to the Pearl Lite PM/SA pairing and I can tell you the difference was definitely NOT night and day; so I would imagine the difference between the CD players would be too close to call.

Having changed from the 6004 to the 8005 I can tell you that the difference is very profound.

Chris

D

Deleted member 108165

Covenanter said:
DougK said:
Peter Kudelstaart said:

Having changed from the 6004 to the 8005 I can tell you that the difference is very profound.

Chris

Yes Chris, but didn't your change involve everything, including the speakers?

My Pearls didn't truly come into their own until I changed the speakers from MA to PMC.

T

the record spot

I'll suggest the Onkyo C7030. Getting lots of positive reviews on the Hoffman forum. Apparently a very good DAC onboard. Down to £170 in Richer Sounds now.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
Covenanter said:
DougK said:
Peter Kudelstaart said:

Chris

Yes Chris, but didn't your change involve everything, including the speakers?

My Pearls didn't truly come into their own until I changed the speakers from MA to PMC.

Indeed I did change the speakers BUT the difference was very marked through my headphones too so I'm convinced that the CD player was significant.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts