Which CD brings out the best in your system?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Not sure which CD, but any cd played in the early hours of the am, it would sound a whole lot better than in the afternoon.

A

Anonymous

Wiglet:Nobody seems to be mentioning classical music, so I thought I'd add a few of those to the mix...

Mahler - Symphony No. 5, Claudio Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic on Deutsche Grammophon

Mozart - The Piano Sonatas, Mitsuko Uchida, Philips

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 (Choral), Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic on Deutsche Grammophon

Purcell - King Arthur, The Deller Consort and Choir, The King's Musick, Alfred Deller on harmonia mundi

Vaughan Williams (original 1913 version) A London Symphony, Hickox/LSO - amazing quality!

A

Anonymous

drummerman:cleaning disc Very Good!

Seriously though, does a regular clean with a cleaning disc make much difference? I have never cleaned my lazer in over 3 years and often think about it
emotion-10.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Blueorb:

drummerman:cleaning disc Very Good!

Seriously though, does a regular clean with a cleaning disc make much difference? I have never cleaned my lazer in over 3 years and often think about it
emotion-10.gif

Dunno but me likes the music on it
emotion-1.gif
. I dont think it makes any audible difference but then I guess thats exactly the point. I use it when I remember (which is not very often). Would'nt worry about it.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:Tear Drop:Big Chris:ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:Craig M.:

gpi:The White Stripes, their album which includes Biscuit Ball, Ball biscuit... err, a track with ball and biscuit in the title. Alternative: AC/DC Back in Black.

metallica - and justice for all. even mates who don't like this type of music think it sounds great.

Craig, although i am a fan of metallica im not to keen on this album due to Jason intricate lines being drowned out in the mix on this album. For me, the "black" album is their best recording sound quality wise... Ditto. Music aside (which is excellent), the production on '...Justice' is rubbish. There is NO bass, either frequencies or guitar. The kick drums sound like they're about 6" in diameter, there's no power to it. Agree that the 'Black' album is much better produced. I'm sure I read an interview with James around the time '..Justice' came out, and he said they deliberately dialled out pretty much all the bass in respect for Cliff.... I bet Jason didn't expect that when he signed on for the job...... Whoops Big C! Looks like you either have a duff copy of Justice or your system sucks 'cos the kicks drums on Justice are stunning. Or maybe Justice is a weird recording that brings out the worst in your system (?) They've sounded feeble on everything I've ever heard them on, from my £300 sony micro, to my £3000 Alpine/Gensis I.C.E (Yes, they sounded unbassy even when played through 2 12" subs!) There's just no bass. The single song demo I did in 4 hours with my band has bassier kick sound than '...Justice' has.

totally agree about the lack of bass but it does mean i can turn it up without annoying the neighbours
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

For Jazz fans try these:

Patricia Barber live:A fortnight in France, this is in my view one of the best recorded albums of all time, containing everything from deep bass, fabulous vocals, subtle nuances, timing, drive you name it its on this album. Track 8, Norwegian Wood is awesome

Billie Holiday:Songs for Distingue Lovers, Recorded in 1957 but amazing in all respects, with a clarity and separation that puts a lot of modern stuff to shame.

deafinoneear

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Having spent far too much of my life running in ridiculously priced speakers and listening to every detail in recordings to the point of nausea, I am now more interested in what CD's bring out the best in me.

I mostly listen to live music but when I do sit down with my ageing Arcam/Kef system I am more concerned with how the music makes me feel rather than anything else.

Steve Earle's Guitar Town makes me feel inspired.

The Black Keys Magic Potion makes me feel the White Stripes aren't as good as I thought they were

Airbournes Running Wild makes me feel AC/DC's Back in Black is still relevant.

Springsteen's Nebraska makes me feel in the presence of greatness

A

Anonymous

maciej1903:

If you are looking for well recorded cd's try XRCD. Recorded by JVC, they sound fantastic.

Check the link https://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=859

Some good titles available but at a price.

Looks like they only do classical, which is a shame really. Are there any other companies that offer high quality recordings for a wider range of music. I did see some original masters on ebay, but they want stupid money for them.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
deafinoneear:
Having spent far too much of my life running in ridiculously priced speakers and listening to every detail in recordings to the point of nausea, I am now more interested in what CD's bring out the best in me.

I mostly listen to live music but when I do sit down with my ageing Arcam/Kef system I am more concerned with how the music makes me feel rather than anything else.

Steve Earle's Guitar Town makes me feel inspired.

The Black Keys Magic Potion makes me feel the White Stripes aren't as good as I thought they were

Airbournes Running Wild makes me feel AC/DC's Back in Black is still relevant.

Springsteen's Nebraska makes me feel in the presence of greatness

It's good that if you listen to high class speakers, and at home you chose an Arcam. I'd do the same ;-)

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Winehouse's 'Back to Black'
After her debut album (which I really enjoy listening to) I was so disappointed with this CD. To me, it sounds very compressed, especially her vocals which seem to distort. Very disappointing, because the songs are so good! I'll have to listen again on my (old but better) current CD player.

Other records:

Jane Taylor - Montpelier
Saw her locally and had to buy the CD, which is just as stunning as hearing her live.

Kraftwerk - Transeurope Express
I know it's all electronic, but it sounds brilliant.

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
Very emotional/moving. Later albums are much more compressed, though still enjoyable.

Fleetwood Mac - any vinyl (Fleetwood Mac -> Tango In The Night)
Just stunning - the best sounding vinyl that I've spun recently. It's just so crisp!

Damien Rice - 9
Not quite as good as O, but it deserves a mention. When I listened the other night, Rice was in the room; simple as. The musicians not so unfortunately.

Camel - Rain Dances
So much fun to listen to - great CD and well mastered I think. Old non-remasters tend to sound the best IMO.

Duffy - Rock Ferry
Warwick Avenue makes me tingle whenever I hear it. Very well recorded.

Also, has anyone heard of the B&W Music Club?
http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/display.aspx?infid=3550. All records are produced by Peter Gabriel, with equipment provided by B&W to make records that'll push your system to its best. I've been impressed by their releases so far, though I've yet to sign up for the subscription. Definitely will this month - the Mondo Cane CD sounds awesome, and I've only played it off my iPod so far! From this month, they're releasing in FLAC as well as ALAC too (though not on the free trial it seems).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts