Which of these amplifiers is the right choice

abremnerwatt

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've recently moved into a new flat and I finally have space to put together a 'proper' sound system. I have a few questions which I'd usually ask my dad. He died in 2019 sadly, and I don't know what to do!

So, I have inherited an older (but still in perfect working order) Linn Sondek record player. My speakers will do for now until I can afford an upgrade. Now, I have two amplifiers to choose from, again inherited. I have an older Arcam Alpha II, which is ages with the Linn Sondek (both purchased in the 90's I think) and I have a newer Naim amplifier (I think it's a Naim Uniti, but not sure of the model and it's packed away at the moment), which also has an integrated CD player, DAB radio etc. Not too worried about the DAB/CD player side of things, I can use an AUX if needs be/an arcade AUX with bluetooth capability.

What I really would like to know is which of these amps will give the best sound for playing records on. Hoping this community can help, because this is my first proper hifi set up and while I know I appreciate sound quality, and have a fair understanding of how that can be achieved, I don't have much experience in actually doing it!

If you've made it this far, thank you and I look forward to hearing your opinions.

abacus

Not sure if the Naim has a phono pre-amp built in as if not you will need to buy a separate one to plug into the auxiliary input.

The only way to know which is best for you is to try them out and see how the amps integrate with the speakers and turntable cartridge, and then choose the one that sounds best for you.

Bill

Reactions: abremnerwatt
Welcome. The Uniti may not have the special preamplifier needed for a phono cartridge, and therefore your Linn might not work without an extra purchase. Otherwise that would definitely be the better item. Can you post a few pictures or look at the actual unit?

The Linn may look perfect, but unless you know what you’re doing they do like a service after a few years. I’d advise getting it looked at by a Linn dealer to be sure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts