Which CD brings out the best in your system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:Craig M.:
gpi:The White Stripes, their album which includes Biscuit Ball, Ball biscuit... err, a track with ball and biscuit in the title. Alternative: AC/DC Back in Black.

metallica - and justice for all. even mates who don't like this type of music think it sounds great.

Craig, although i am a fan of metallica im not to keen on this album due to Jason intricate lines being drowned out in the mix on this album. For me, the "black" album is their best recording sound quality wise...

Ditto. Music aside (which is excellent), the production on '...Justice' is rubbish. There is NO bass, either frequencies or guitar. The kick drums sound like they're about 6" in diameter, there's no power to it. Agree that the 'Black' album is much better produced.

I'm sure I read an interview with James around the time '..Justice' came out, and he said they deliberately dialled out pretty much all the bass in respect for Cliff.... I bet Jason didn't expect that when he signed on for the job......

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.: one of my cousins who is a metal fan said he once heard one of metallica say he didn't like "and justice for all" 'cos they were just showing off, i think thats what i like about it.
emotion-1.gif

Sounds to me like you're a prog metal fan in the making. You should be hearing 'Opeth' calling any minute now.

:)

The 'Black' album is altogether much simpler in songwriting style, but the production has plenty of power and tons of that missing bass, (perhaps a little too much).

You must be the first person I've ever met who had '...Justice', but not 'Black'. Usually it's the other way around.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, you can't better 'Master of Puppets' IMHO regardless of sound quality.......

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
gpi:Duplicate post deleted. What does it mean 'no children will be deleted'?
Hey gpi - when you delete a post you created, if someone has clicked on the Reply button under your post, this is a "child" post to your original post. Thus, it means when you delete your post, any "child" posts created from yours won't be deleted.

A

Anonymous

So why aren't recording artists more concerned about how their finished product sounds? If I was a musician / singer songwriter, I would want my CD's produced to highest possible quality and would not want them released until I was happy.

It is a real shame too many C.D's just don't measure up.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I can't believe no one has mentioned Radiohead's 'Ok Computer'. I recently listened to Badly Drawn Boy's, 'The Hour of the Wilderbeast' for the first time on my latest set up - superb. Alicia Keys new album and Winehouse's 'Back to Black' along with any Sade album sound lovely too. If I could pick just one though, Kings of Leon, 'Aha Shake Heartbreak'.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
Blueorb:
Here is a question. We are all somewhat obsessed with building that perfect system, looking for the holy grail of sound quality, however, a sytem can only ever reproduce what is on the CD (Or record). Often I am disappointed with the quality of some recordings, even many new releases sound poor.

Out of my (quite) large CD collection, I think there may only be a handful of C.D's that sound truly amazing in terms of production quality. I am interested to know which are your favorite recordings; which ones make your system shine?

I will start the ball rolling:

Moloko (Statues)

MTV unplugged series

The Dave Brubeck Quartet-Time Out

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:Badly Drawn Boy's, 'The Hour of the Wilderbeast' You know if your system is producing enough detail if you can hear the valves of the horn moving at the beginning.......
emotion-1.gif

But it can only be heard through a Primare amp...............
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Blueorb:
JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:Badly Drawn Boy's, 'The Hour of the Wilderbeast' You know if your system is producing enough detail if you can hear the valves of the horn moving at the beginning.......
emotion-1.gif

emotion-5.gif

I wonder if the missus would accept that reason for a new amp!! I will have to listen again to see if I can hear that - it's a beautiful song.

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:Sorry, you can't better 'Master of Puppets' IMHO regardless of sound quality.......
too true! one of the greatest metal albums ever!
with regards to great TooL albums, i personally feel that Aenima is their best album in terms of production. however, for songwriting, Lateralus is far superior!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:Sorry, you can't better 'Master of Puppets' IMHO regardless of sound quality.......

Indeed.

'M.O.P' & 'R.T.L' were the first 2 CDs I ever bought, Oh about 22 years ago. Now I've got about 550 CDs and I'm running out of cabinet space!

'M.O.P' is indeed a classic. There aren't many albums I can name where EVERY song is excellent (Lamb of God's 'Sacrament' is a recent addition to the club, and I could blather on about Opeth again, but it'll get old real quick......Oh OK....'Blackwater Park')

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral

Korn - Korn (Self titled debut)

Megadeth - Youthanasia

Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrants - amazing for melodic death metal.

AC/DC - Razors Edge - IMHO better than back in black (powerful and great mix)

Def Leppard - Hysteria (clean and well mixed)

Killswitch Engage - Alive or just breathing - Perfect mix of guitars, drums and bass.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:Craig M.:
gpi:The White Stripes, their album which includes Biscuit Ball, Ball biscuit... err, a track with ball and biscuit in the title. Alternative: AC/DC Back in Black.

metallica - and justice for all. even mates who don't like this type of music think it sounds great.

Craig, although i am a fan of metallica im not to keen on this album due to Jason intricate lines being drowned out in the mix on this album. For me, the "black" album is their best recording sound quality wise...

Ditto. Music aside (which is excellent), the production on '...Justice' is rubbish. There is NO bass, either frequencies or guitar. The kick drums sound like they're about 6" in diameter, there's no power to it. Agree that the 'Black' album is much better produced.

I'm sure I read an interview with James around the time '..Justice' came out, and he said they deliberately dialled out pretty much all the bass in respect for Cliff.... I bet Jason didn't expect that when he signed on for the job......

Whoops Big C! Looks like you either have a duff copy of Justice or your system sucks 'cos the kicks drums on Justice are stunning. Or maybe Justice is a weird recording that brings out the worst in your system (?)

A

Anonymous

Nobody seems to be mentioning classical music, so I thought I'd add a few of those to the mix...

Mahler - Symphony No. 5, Claudio Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic on Deutsche Grammophon

Mozart - The Piano Sonatas, Mitsuko Uchida, Philips

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 (Choral), Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic on Deutsche Grammophon

Purcell - King Arthur, The Deller Consort and Choir, The King's Musick, Alfred Deller on harmonia mundi

A

Anonymous

If you are looking for well recorded cd's try XRCD. Recorded by JVC, they sound fantastic.

Check the link https://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=859

Some good titles available but at a price.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Blueorb:
emotion-1.gif

emotion-5.gif

I'm sure there are some trumpet sounds I don't wish to hear.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:gpi:Duplicate post deleted. What does it mean 'no children will be deleted'?
Hey gpi - when you delete a post you created, if someone has clicked on the Reply button under your post, this is a "child" post to your original post. Thus, it means when you delete your post, any "child" posts created from yours won't be deleted.

Oh, I see, Only just seen this reply. I thought it referred to a new Government initiative on children's anti-social behaviour.
emotion-42.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Tear Drop:Big Chris:ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:Craig M.:

Whoops Big C! Looks like you either have a duff copy of Justice or your system sucks 'cos the kicks drums on Justice are stunning. Or maybe Justice is a weird recording that brings out the worst in your system (?)

They've sounded feeble on everything I've ever heard them on, from my £300 sony micro, to my £3000 Alpine/Gensis I.C.E (Yes, they sounded unbassy even when played through 2 12" subs!)

There's just no bass. The single song demo I did in 4 hours with my band has bassier kick sound than '...Justice' has.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts