Which Cartridge?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

This one?

images

swiftmick

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
OOoooops! Sorry, dont know what happened ther?????

I have an Ariston RD40 fitted with a Rega RB300 arm, I need a new cartridge. Up to now I am thinking Ortofon 2M Red or Rega Bias 2.

Anyone with any views on these? Or indeed any other mm cartridges I should be looking at?

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
To be perfectly honest I wouldn't waste your money on either of your choices. Sorry but you did ask.

Get a Nagaoka MP-110 and you'll get a lot more for your money.

I appreciate we all have our opinions/preferences but 'wasting your money' is a little bit strong ...

Without knowing the prerferences of the OP with regards to 'presentation/sound' how can you recommend anything (or, more in your case, denounce perfectly good cartridges)?

For what it is worth, I dont know the Naga but the budget Ortofons are capable devices in their respective fields. They tend to sound neutral without to much emphasis at frequency extremes.

regards

floyd droid said:
drummerman said:
They tend to sound neutral without to much emphasis at frequency extremes.

Jesus wept , this is a wind up no ?.

I hope so because that's not the Ortofon Red I heard ........ says he off to get his ears syringed.

Perhaps I should have stated that the Ortofon Red and the Bias 2 are relatively cheap moving magnet type of cartridges that are often found attached to budget-end turntable packages, and that's perhaps the best place for them. :)

And no, in my personal opinion, 'waste of money' is not too strong a term considering what else is available on the market for a very similar budget.

Whilst I do not profess to know the OP's preferences I could hazard a guess as to which cartridge he would go for if I gave him a quick blind-test of Nagaoka v. the others.

I was simply answering the OP's 'anyone with any views on these' question to the best of my experience.

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been hoping that WHF would do a Group Test of the current crop of budget-to-mid-priced MM cartridges, but nothing so far. Hi-Fi Choice did one last year that included, amongst others, the Ortofon 2M Blue, the Clearaudio Concept V2 and the Nagaoka MP-150. The Nagaoka came out on top with the Ortofon the runner-up and the Clearaudio third. Perhaps a cartridge Group Test is a little too "niche" for WHF these days; if so, that's a little disappointing.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
IMO the Nagaoka MP110 is a no brainer under a £100

The 2m Red really does not come close - and yes I have heard both!

Its not a lot of money to be honest, buy the Nag - if you dont like it then move it on then try the 2M (but get some ear plugs - bright

TRENDING THREADS