Which Cartridge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site

No hard feelings bretty. I do understand that's its all very subjective and personal. Let's do a virtual handshake on that!
[/quote]

Oh, go on , do the job properly , and give him a kiss .

A

Anonymous

Lol! The Ortofon's are voiced brighter than many other carts. I often use 520 mkII which is very handy with a 'boomy' recording it can tighten up the Bass end nicely. I like it on live lps when the bottom end is a bit muddy.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Picked up my Goldring 1042 today and have just spent a couple of hours setting it up. Bit of a faff but got there in the end.

I'm glad to say that there's just the right amount of space between cart and LP. Was it Jason or Mitch who had to send their's back because the bottom of the cart was touching the vinyl?

I'm currently playing my test record, Al Green's Greatest Hits on Hi Records. A great recording, plenty of depth and subtle bass, and I must say that unless my ears betray me I get the feeling of a warmer sound. Does that sound about right?

The next couple of week's should see it fully broken in!

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Picked up my Goldring 1042 today and have just spent a couple of hours setting it up. Bit of a faff but got there in the end.

I'm glad to say that there's just the right amount of space between cart and LP. Was it Jason or Mitch who had to send their's back because the bottom of the cart was touching the vinyl?

I'm currently playing my test record, Al Green's Greatest Hits on Hi Records. A great recording, plenty of depth and subtle bass, and I must say that unless my ears betray me I get the feeling of a warmer sound. Does that sound about right?

Yep that was me DIB's......The sytlus was sitting very low and hence the cartridge body was catching on a couple of my thicker LP's on the edge. However I sent it back and they sorted it within a day. What sort of space do you have between the cartridge body and LP???? mine was about 1mm and since they sorted it, it now sits about 3mm about the LP, more than enough clearance.

I would probably say the 1042 is a slightly warmer cartridge and also a good all round sound. After about 20 hours or so you will probably notice the bass gets a bit more solid and deeper (but not overbearing). Personally I think the 1042 is a solid cartirdge offering excellent mid range, especially on vocals.

You will probably need about 35 to 45 hours to get the best from tnhe cartirdge, but I am sure you will be very happy with it, especially with the X-LPS Phono Stage :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason36 said:
DIB said:

Yep that was me DIB's......The sytlus was sitting very low and hence the cartridge body was catching on a couple of my thicker LP's on the edge. However I sent it back and they sorted it within a day. What sort of space do you have between the cartridge body and LP???? mine was about 1mm and since they sorted it, it now sits about 3mm about the LP, more than enough clearance.

I would probably say the 1042 is a slightly warmer cartridge and also a good all round sound. After about 20 hours or so you will probably notice the bass gets a bit more solid and deeper (but not overbearing). Personally I think the 1042 is a solid cartirdge offering excellent mid range, especially on vocals.

You will probably need about 35 to 45 hours to get the best from tnhe cartirdge, but I am sure you will be very happy with it, especially with the X-LPS Phono Stage :)

Looks like about 2mm or so to me.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well it's finally arrived. A bit of a wait but it looks like it's worth it. Build quality is second to none and it looks stunning.

I'll be fitting it tomorrow and hope it sounds as good as it looks.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Troy62 said:
Well it's finally arrived. A bit of a wait but it looks like it's worth it. Build quality is second to none and it looks stunning.

I'll be fitting it tomorrow and hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Blimey, that was a wait!

Keep us updated, fella. I think you're gonna enoy your TT more than you ever have before, once you pop that Grado on. I think it's the perfect cart. As I mentioned before though, be patient. Certain things will impress you straight off the bat, namely the delicate treble and vocals, but you'll have to wait for it to show you all of it's delights!

A

Anonymous

I upgraded from a run of the mill Goldring to a Denon DL-160 and it blew me away. List price varies from around £130 to £160 but I got a brand new from Singapore on Ebay for £89. Absolute bargain and the detail I now get from the grooves is amazing.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thought I'd give a bit of an update seeing as it's been on for about 2 weeks now. Decided to take it to my local hifi dealer and have it fitted there. Thought if I'd paid that much for a cartridge I might as well pay an extra tenner and have it fitted properly. To say I'm pleased with the sound is an understatement. I'm not too good at describing what I hear but it just seems to have opened up nicely. It feels as though there is more time around the instruments so you can follow each one so much easier, and the soundstage is fantastic. I'm chuffed to bits with it.

On the advice of the dealer I purchased the Rega TT PSU which came yesterday and first impressions are very good. There seems to be more weight to the bass and it's bringing out even more detail. I would strongly recommend both the cartridge and the psu to anybody with a P3/24, takes the turntable to an whole new level.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts