Which Cartridge

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've currently got the Ortofon 2M Blue but it doesn't quite do it for me. The detail is brilliant but combined with the Audiolab and Quads it's a bit on the bright side for my liking. So would like a few suggestions for alternatives that will still give me the detail but without the brightness for around the £150 mark. Been looking at the Goldring 2200/2300 but anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers

Lee

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I like my 2M Blue, you're spot on about the detail, but on certain recordings I do sometimes wonder about the brightness.

It's not really practical to demo other cartridges, but Jason of this here parish is loving his Goldring 1042. A touch more than your budget but can be bought from Superfi for a touch under £200. That may be one suggestion to possibly look at. I'm sure other more knowledgable people than me will be able to steer you in the right direction.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a Goldring 2200 on my Rega p3-24, then changed it to a Goldring 1042 - the difference is very significant - a great improvement. I won't be changing it for a long time. Worth the extra.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Troy 62,

I would definately concur....if you can stretch your budget a bit further or maybe have a look around a few sites, I can personally highly recommend the Goldring 1042. Its an excellent cartridge and I would say well worth the extra £50.00 above the 2200 and 2300.

The cartridge provides an excellent and strong all round sound, with control and excellent dynamics. Detail is amazing and it has never broached into being sibilant with any of the music I play.....which is very eclectic.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
DIBS, that's it exactly mate.I'm sat listening to an album and really enjoying the sound. Then I put on another album and the brightness just takes over and suddenly not enjoying it so much anymore.

Jason thanks for that mate, sounds like the 1042 is just what I'm looking for. Don't mind spending the extra if it's worth it. How was it to set up, do you need to alter the VTA? Mines got the Rega spacer fitted, it was on when I bought the turntable, would I need to remove it?

Lee

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Troy62 said:
Jason thanks for that mate, sounds like the 1042 is just what I'm looking for. Don't mind spending the extra if it's worth it. How was it to set up, do you need to alter the VTA? Mines got the Rega spacer fitted, it was on when I bought the turntable, would I need to remove it?

Lee

Well when I bought the Goldring it was the first time I had ever changed a cartridge and had to set it up....I was surprised at how easy it was to actually change and get the set up just right using the rega protractor and my digital scales. Not sure about a spacer mate.....I dont use one with the Rega Planar 3 and the set up is perfect. Cant really comment on your TT.

A

Anonymous

Thinking a little differently I've just moved from an Ortofon 2M Red to a Denon 103R. The 103R is a little above your price but the Denon 103 is well within it. No problem with bass here, you just need an MC input or an MM with a step up transformer.Your Audiolab 8000a has both I think.

Takes a little while to get used to as it drags just so much more from the grooves and really rocks. The 103 is slightly less refined that the 103R but you still get the power and excetement at a bargain price. You can even upgrade the body to aluminium or wood for very little to enhance the sound even more. Ive added an 8 gram brass Isokinetik plate to bring up the effective tonearm mass and things just get better.

The Audiolab 8000 had the reputation of being a little dry and the Goldring is the safe choice but ....

Cheers

TheAppleChap

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Troy62 said:
Mines got the Rega spacer fitted, it was on when I bought the turntable, would I need to remove it?

Yep, mine has spacer too - I was advised to keep the spacer in when moving from the 2200 to the 1042 (advised by Rayleigh Hifi where I bought the 1042). They had loads of Linn LP12 t/ts in for servicing, so I assume that they know what they're taklking about.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Troy62 said:
I've currently got the Ortofon 2M Blue but it doesn't quite do it for me. The detail is brilliant but combined with the Audiolab and Quads it's a bit on the bright side for my liking. So would like a few suggestions for alternatives that will still give me the detail but without the brightness for around the £150 mark. Been looking at the Goldring 2200/2300 but anything else I should be looking at?

You have an MC/MM selector on the back of the Audiolab 8000A.

Have you thought about moving coil cartridges?

Like this one for £174.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I'd stay away from MC for now. Unless you have a budget closer to £500, they'll all sound bright. Detailed and airy, yes, but with no depth.

As a couple of peeps have already said, the Goldring 1042 is very, very good. MUCH better than it's more modern counterparts, the 2000 series. It's a lot of cart for £200.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies chaps. Sorry I haven't replied sooner but been away for the week.

I haven't considered a MC cartridge as I always believed they were for when you wanted to upgrade from a MM cartridge and had to spend a fair few quid to make it worthwhile.

From the replies and reviews it's looking like the G1042 would be the sensible way to go but having looked on the Superfi website I noticed the Grado Reference Platinum 1.

I know it's even further above my initial budget but if it's worth the extra £20 then I don't mind.

Has anybody got any experience of the Grado?

Cheers

Lee

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Troy62 said:
Thanks for the replies chaps. Sorry I haven't replied sooner but been away for the week.

I haven't considered a MC cartridge as I always believed they were for when you wanted to upgrade from a MM cartridge and had to spend a fair few quid to make it worthwhile.

From the replies and reviews it's looking like the G1042 would be the sensible way to go but having looked on the Superfi website I noticed the Grado Reference Platinum 1.

I know it's even further above my initial budget but if it's worth the extra £20 then I don't mind.

Cheers

Lee

I believe Bretty on here bought the Reference Platinum 1 Cartridge...from what I have heard he loves it on his Gyrodec and Technoarm. I'm sure he will let you know his opinions in due course.

Troy62 said:

Cheers

Lee

If you can stretch to about £180 or so the Clear Audio Classic Wood cartridge is stunning for the money. Even played on my modest Pro-ject TT there's a considerable upgrade to a price compatible Ortofon.

Edit - just seen one for a lot less.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clearaudio-Aurum-Classics-Woods-V2A-MM-Cartridge-/390316028984?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae0a5f438

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Troy62 said:

Cheers

Lee

Ah, good eyes fella! I didn't recommend it cos it was even more over your budget, but yes, as Jase said, I have the Platinum. Yes, get it, without question. It's like the 1042 on steroids. It has a deep bass, with brilliant definition and texture a super realistic mid range and the best treble i've yet heard. You also get some of the airy-ness of a MC. It has captive nuts (unusual at this price point), which means fitting's a doddle It's a looker, too, as far as carts go.It's got no flaws, in my opinion.

You must be be patient with it, though. out of the box and for the first 40 hours of play it sounds a little sibliant and bass light. But, by the time you hit the 50 hour mark it all falls into place and it really starts to sing.

Get it. You'll be glad you did
smiley-smile.gif

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I ordered myself a Goldring 1042 from Superfi 10 days ago. I was pretty lucky actually as they were still £199.95 at the time, I noticed about three days later they had gone up to £229.95.
smiley-smile.gif

Just waiting for the call now from my local Superfi to tell me it's in and ready to collect.

I've been off work for 9 weeks, going back in tomorrow. My 2M Blue is begging for mercy and a rest!

ps: this MF X-LPS was a damn fine purchase too.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
I ordered myself a Goldring 1042 from Superfi 10 days ago. I was pretty lucky actually as they were still £199.95 at the time, I noticed about three days later they had gone up to £229.95.
smiley-smile.gif

Really? That's a big hike. That makes the Platinum even more of a bargain, then!

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
smiley-smile.gif

Just waiting for the call now from my local Superfi to tell me it's in and ready to collect.

I've been off work for 9 weeks, going back in tomorrow. My 2M Blue is begging for mercy and a rest!

ps: this MF X-LPS was a damn fine purchase too.

Nice one DIB,

You wont be dissapointed with the 1042 and looks like you caught it just in time.

I think you will hear an immediate improvement on the 2M Blue, but as usual the 1042 gets better and better....mine is now just about pefect after about 40 hours of playtime :)

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
bretty said:
Troy62 said:

Cheers

Lee

Ah, good eyes fella! I didn't recommend it cos it was even more over your budget, but yes, as Jase said, I have the Platinum. Yes, get it, without question. It's like the 1042 on steroids. It has a deep bass, with brilliant definition and texture a super realistic mid range and the best treble i've yet heard. You also get some of the airy-ness of a MC. It has captive nuts (unusual at this price point), which means fitting's a doddle It's a looker, too, as far as carts go.It's got no flaws, in my opinion.

You must be be patient with it, though. out of the box and for the first 40 hours of play it sounds a little sibliant and bass light. But, by the time you hit the 50 hour mark it all falls into place and it really starts to sing.

Get it. You'll be glad you did
smiley-smile.gif

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
For some reason the forum won't let me quote and the text size is really small.

Cheers for the feedback Bretty, that's some recommendation. Just ordered one so should be here in a week or so, can't wait. Reading your thread from when you first received it it certainly looks the part.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
That's what I like: a decisive fella. Good for you mate.

You're going to find that the Grado will transform your vinyl collection, in a good way.

In my not-very-popular opinion, I think the Ortofon Red, Blue and Bronze are poo. I think they're thin sounding and as a result are incapable of reproducing music realistically. If you rob music of bass and low-mid range, you suck the life out of it. You'll know what I mean once you've had the Grado running for 50 hours. Music will be super realistic, and not just vocals but every instrument. So much so that certain recordings sound like you're listening to the band play live.

You've got some good times ahead of you, matey!

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:

You're going to find that the Grado will transform your vinyl collection, in a good way.

In my not-very-popular opinion, I think the Ortofon Red, Blue and Bronze are poo. I think they're thin sounding and as a result are incapable of reproducing music realistically. If you rob music of bass and low-mid range, you suck the life out of it. You'll know what I mean once you've had the Grado running for 50 hours. Music will be super realistic, and not just vocals but every instrument. So much so that certain recordings sound like you're listening to the band play live.

So Bretty I take it that you have heard the Ortofon Red, Blue and Bronze to come to your conclusion that they are all poo!

I have the Ortofon Red and it certainly not thin sounding, quite the opposite in fact. Maybe you should have a closer look at the other components in your system if you find the Ortofons sound thin and unrealistic.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Sabby said:
bretty said:

So Bretty I take it that you have heard the Ortofon Red, Blue and Bronze to come to your conclusion that they are all poo!

I have the Ortofon Red and it certainly not thin sounding, quite the opposite in fact. Maybe you should have a closer look at the other components in your system if you find the Ortofons sound thin and unrealistic.

Personal opinion Sabby, which is what we are all entitled to....what one person thinks is thin sounding or lacks detail may well hit the spot for someone else. Hifi isn't just down to equipment its a case of personal taste as well.

I heard that the Elys2 was a perfect match for the Rega Planar 3 TT, however I felt it was sibilant and lacked bass depth. I changed the cartridge to a Goldring and i personally think the cartridge is 100 times better, excellently detailed with depth across the whole board.

Surely that's what the whole point of HiFi is...finding out what works best for you as an individual.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Sabby said:
bretty said:

I said it wasn't a very popular opinion
smiley-smile.gif

I understand you feeling the need to defend your cart. I have heard all three carts, and for me they were all as I described in my previous post. I think they all have a similar presentation which isn't for me. The Black's ok, though, but it's too expensive.

It's all subjective though and i'm glad that you are getting pleasure from your cart. I'm holding out a virtual hand for you to virtually shake
smiley-smile.gif

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:
Sabby said:
bretty said:

I said it wasn't a very popular opinion
smiley-smile.gif

I understand you feeling the need to defend your cart. I have heard all three carts, and for me they were all as I described in my previous post. I think they all have a similar presentation which isn't for me. The Black's ok, though, but it's too expensive.

It's all subjective though and i'm glad that you are getting pleasure from your cart. I'm holding out a virtual hand for you to virtually shake
smiley-smile.gif

No hard feelings bretty. I do understand that's its all very subjective and personal. Let's do a virtual handshake on that!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts