Which cables do I need to do the sound from the Blu-Ray player?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Could you please tell me which cables I need? Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd use the optical cable for neatness.

In fact i'd just use optical from the TV to the receiver. That avoids lip sync issues and helps to keep down the cable mess. YMMV.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:

In fact i'd just use optical from the TV to the receiver. That avoids lip sync issues and helps to keep down the cable mess. YMMV.
Cheers Chebby. Reading the Oppo and Pioneer manuals I am not sure I have a choice? Cheers.

daveh75

How do you expect people to offer advice when you've made no mention of which BD Player or amp you're using and therefore what connections they have available?

But HDMI probably (presuming they're available)

daveh75

chebby said:

Fine for stereo or lossy 5.1 formats, not much use for any of more modern lossless M/C formats though.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:

You'd think so wouldn't you. Yet on my TV it's always been a problem: the audio from the optical out is always ahead of the picture no matter what picture mode I select, though some picture modes are more behind than others. The TV's internal audio is delayed to be in sync with the picture, so you can tell how much of a delay there is if you leave the TV volume up. Shame Panasonic didn't see fit to delay the optical out as well. 'Cinema' mode gives the longest delay and 'Game' mode the least.

D

Deleted member 2457

daveh75 said:
How do you expect people to offer advice when you've made no mention of which BD Player or amp you're using and therefore what connections they have available?

But HDMI probably (presuming they're available)
Oppo 203 and Pioneer 91 for a Pioneer 81 amp. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Looking at the manuals for both Blu-ray player and amp, I think it's straight forward. Just got my amp of the stand too and looked at the back I can see where it goes and it doesn't interfere with any other cables - so that's good.

abacus

From the Oppo, connect an HDMI cable to the TV, and a second HDMI cable to your receiver. (I assume the 81 amp you mention is the LX81 Receiver)

For the 91 Blu-ray, connect an HDMI cable from the player to the HDMI input of the receiver, and connect an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Hope this helps

Bil

D

Deleted member 2457

abacus said:
From the Oppo, connect an HDMI cable to the TV, and a second HDMI cable to your receiver. (I assume the 81 amp you mention is the LX81 Receiver)

For the 91 Blu-ray, connect an HDMI cable from the player to the HDMI input of the receiver, and connect an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Hope this helps

Bil
Cheers Bill, I wanted to use the DACs of the Blu-Ray player though.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
chebby said:

You'd think so wouldn't you. Yet on my TV it's always been a problem: the audio from the optical out is always ahead of the picture no matter what picture mode I select, though some picture modes are more behind than others. The TV's internal audio is delayed to be in sync with the picture, so you can tell how much of a delay there is if you leave the TV volume up. Shame Panasonic didn't see fit to delay the optical out as well. 'Cinema' mode gives the longest delay and 'Game' mode the least.

I've always used it in 'PCM' mode (for stereo) from our Panasonic to our Beresford (+Naim) / Marantz / Quad / Marantz devices over the last 9 years, so I can't comment on the other (multi-channel) options.

All I know is that connecting optical from a BD player (only RCA coax digital nowadays) used to cause terrible and very obvious sync problems, whereas HDMI to the TV then optical to the audio worked excellently. I can even play sound from the TV's own internal speakers (as a 'centre speaker') at the same time and not get any 'echo' effect like we'd get if, say, playing audio from the ATV3's optical whilst watching TV content from it at the same time. As soon as that happens I switch straight to 'optical 2' (direct to TV) and back to no 'echo'.

buzz_lightclick

abacus said:

Hope this helps

Bil

He wants to try the 7.1 analogue audio outs on the 91 for sound.

abacus

gel said:
abacus said:

Hope this helps

Bil

Personally I wouldn’t bother as it is usually the analogue section that lets AV Receivers down, however, on the back of your receiver (Or just look in the manual) you will see multi-channel rca connections all marked up for the front, centre, rear speakers etc. so it’s a simple case of getting some decent rca interconnects to match the multi-channel outputs of the Blu-ray. (This will also be marked front, rear, centre etc.)

Decent cables can be picked from Maplin’s or any professional music shop (If you want the same quality as used in professional film and music studios) for not that much money. (Avoid anything made by Hi-Fi cable manufactures as they just try and con into paying lots of money for something that no professional would ever use even with an old Dansette)

Hope this helps

Bill

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
abacus said:
(Avoid anything made by Hi-Fi cable manufactures as they just try and con into paying lots of money for something that no professional would ever use even with an old Dansette)

Hope this helps

Bill

If you count Recording Studios as professional, then there at least 7 that use "Hi-Fi" cables, like MIT, Cardas, Kimber and Van den Hull.

I listed them here (post 181): https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/power-cable?page=11

IMO It's fine to say that Cables don't make a difference....but it is not true to say that Professionals don't use them.

D

Deleted member 2457

abacus said:
gel said:
abacus said:

Hope this helps

Bil

Personally I wouldn’t bother as it is usually the analogue section that lets AV Receivers down, however, on the back of your receiver (Or just look in the manual) you will see multi-channel rca connections all marked up for the front, centre, rear speakers etc. so it’s a simple case of getting some decent rca interconnects to match the multi-channel outputs of the Blu-ray. (This will also be marked front, rear, centre etc.)

Decent cables can be picked from Maplin’s or any professional music shop (If you want the same quality as used in professional film and music studios) for not that much money. (Avoid anything made by Hi-Fi cable manufactures as they just try and con into paying lots of money for something that no professional would ever use even with an old Dansette)

Hope this helps

Bill
Cheers Bill, that is helpful and exactly what Frank Harvey said too, perhaps I will just leave well alone then and always use an amp instead. I did order those cheap cables and they are turning up today but I don't think I will use them, perhaps next time I have an amp installed I will see what the installer thinks, but in all honestly it's not going to beat an amp, and amps cost more. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Okay, I got the cables and connected them to the Pioneer 91 and the Pioneer sc-lx81. I can't get the sound though from analogue. Any ideas? Thanks.

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
abacus said:
gel said:
abacus said:

Hope this helps

Bil

Hope this helps

Bill
Cheers Bill, that is helpful and exactly what Frank Harvey said too, perhaps I will just leave well alone then and always use an amp instead. I did order those cheap cables and they are turning up today but I don't think I will use them, perhaps next time I have an amp installed I will see what the installer thinks, but in all honestly it's not going to beat an amp, and amps cost more. Cheers.

That would usually be true but the 91 has very good dedicated analogue DACs which are its main strength and what sets it apart from cheaper blu ray players, (as well as the build quality).

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
Okay, I got the cables and connected them to the Pioneer 91 and the Pioneer sc-lx81. I can't get the sound though from analogue. Any ideas? Thanks.

You need to change some settings in the 81 and 91 menus. You don't want the sound to come through HDMI.

I'm sure someone will help with the specifics.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:

You need to change some settings in the 81 and 91 menus. You don't want the sound to come through HDMI.

cheers mate, I put it on multi-channel outputs and on analogue, trying both players I have given up for now. I am not sure if I will try again now. It's a lot of hassle and it's probably not worth it. I got the Oppo 203 hooked up again now.

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:

cheers mate, I put it on multi-channel outputs and on analogue, trying both players I have given up for now. I am not sure if I will try again now. It's a lot of hassle and it's probably not worth it. I got the Oppo 203 hooked up again now.

i did wonder why you bought the 91 in the first place when you already had the Oppo.

buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:
buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:
Okay, I got the cables and connected them to the Pioneer 91 and the Pioneer sc-lx81.  I can't get the sound though from analogue.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  

cheers mate, I put it on multi-channel outputs and on analogue, trying both players I have given up for now.  I am not sure if I will try again now.  It's a lot of hassle and it's probably not worth it.  I got the Oppo 203 hooked up again now.  

i did wonder why you bought the 91 in the first place when you already had the Oppo. 
We all tried to explain this to him, but he wanted to scratch the itch! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts