Question Which cables do I need for this vintage amplifier?

Nick8123

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I just bought this vintage Nikko amplifier off eBay. (Nikko TRM-230) But I have never seen these inputs before so I have no idea which cables to buy for it. Or maybe I need some type of converters?

If anyone knows anything about this I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Nick

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: simonali
Abacus is very helpful as usual. Yes, they are both DIN standard connections (inputs and speaker connections), they were very common and I am sure if you search you will find cables that are terminated this way.
A quick eyeball at eBay shows a number are available depending on how you need the source end terminated
What do you intend to connect to it?

Nick8123

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Abacus is very helpful as usual. Yes, they are both DIN standard connections (inputs and speaker connections), they were very common and I am sure if you search you will find cables that are terminated this way.
A quick eyeball at eBay shows a number are available depending on how you need the source end terminated
What do you intend to connect to it?

I was just going to connect it to some Dali Lektor 2's. But it turns out it might be broken. The signal is just running through to the speakers very quietly but not being amplified.

jedaisoul

May 16, 2020
Visit site
I just bought this vintage Nikko amplifier off eBay. (Nikko TRM-230) But I have never seen these inputs before so I have no idea which cables to buy for it. Or maybe I need some type of converters?
DIN connectors are not just a different plug/socket, they (should) have different characteristics. Like, the DIN line signal level was 100mV into a 100K Ohm load. That said, it was commonplace at one time for manufacturers to ignore this. So unless you can track down a manual for the unit you have, you may have to "suck it and see".

Nick8123

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Did the eBay ad state it was working?
What position is that Pre / Main switch in on the back?is it still on 'connected'?
What source are you using?

Sorry for the late response, I didn't even realise people were still commenting on this thread. It turns out it was in pre-amp mode. I changed that switch and everything works perfectly. It sounds pretty amazing as well. Thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts