Which bookself for brighter sounding rock and metal?

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
My plan was to buy the Kef R500. But in my room i think it's better to buy bookself speakers. I listen in the small part of my room and speakers can be 40 cm from the walls. Listening distance 2,5 m.

But which bookself? I don't like a bright sound but a warmer full bodied sound without shrill highes. Dynaudio has good highes, but i think too boring for rock and metal. I've heard the floorstander B&W 683S2 but don't like the sound. Too much bass and highes too sharp. Are the 685S2 or CM5S2 better? I must be driven by my amp NAD C356.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
in another of your posts but if you liked the r500 then the r300 would be suitable?

plus the nad amp is far rom bright so i think it will be a good match

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I listen to mainly rock and my B&W CM8's have never sounded bright or piercing with anything.

They have a far superior sound to the 6 series S2 B&W's. I would describe them as having a very tight rhythmic sound, and rock just sound so right through these, no sharp edges.

rainsoothe

Cynic-al said:
I listen to mainly rock and my B&W CM8's have never sounded bright or piercing with anything.

They have a far superior sound to the 6 series S2 B&W's. I would describe them as having a very tight rhythmic sound, and rock just sound so right through these, no sharp edges.

Yes, if it's the first CM series, then they sound pretty smooth (although some might find them a bit rolled off). I used to own a pair of CM5 and they were, indeed, very smooth - could sound nazal sometimes though.

OP: Give Focal Aria 906 a try. Or Q Acoustics 3020 / Concept 20.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Look at brands like:

Vienna Acoustics

Spendor (incl Classic Series)

Harbeth

Kef R300/LS50

GamuT

Diapason (Karis)

Opera

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I had a great time with the Elac BS 244 speakers because their JET (ribbon) tweeters add a different and interesting dimension to the sound. Surprisingly good bass as well, so I would think they'd be good for rock.

obiwan kenobi said:
What about the MA GX100?

If you have an allergy to insightful speakers, avoid any Monitor Audio. Don't know what your amp is but I'd look at older Dynaudio Audience 52 (there's a couple on Fleebay at the moment. Or was a couple of days ago).

Spendor SA-1 are anything but bright, but they lack bottom end grunt. Kef LS50 are a good option, as will Neats.

Generally speaking if a system is too bright this is either an imbalance with system matching and/or room acoustics.

Haven't we been here before?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pp said>Haven't we been here before?

I say: not sure how many threads already but all seem to jump from kef r500 to dynaudio then say dynaudio is boring and kef too bright

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Sill a difficult descision; Kef R500 with my NAD C356 or Dynaudio Focus 160 with my Nad c356. And that with rock and metal. I've one heard the MA RX 6. Loved their enthousiastic sound and the bass. Very liveley. But highs with my music are harsh.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Proac, Spendor, Neat and Kudos.

They all make speaker which in my opinion are not over bright and are good for rock and metal.

I use B&W but i find them a little on the bright side as they have a metal dome tweeter which are known for a brighter sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts