Which Blu ray, Sony, Pion, Panny

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Looking for a Blu Ray player, and going round in circles as to which one makes sense. Amp will be Pioneer SC LX81 (on order).

1. Will not be used for music, have Arcam CD for that.
2. No need for analogue, amp will do everything.
3. Very small DVD selection (umm around 20 discs !).
4. Will be watching very little Blu Ray.

Choices: Sony 350 & 550, Pioneer 51, Panny 35, so two/three price brackets.

Have seen the Pion in action, very nice looking player, and impressed with what I saw, but is it worth it over say the cheaper players in my line up as it will have very little use. Is the Pio a good enough step up in picture and sound over the others ?

I would like to delve into Blu Ray, but as you can see, its not exactly going to be watched alot !

All but the Pion are very close in price now, which makes the Pio even harder to justify.

Any comments, much appreciated.

Thx

Gill

A

Anonymous

Presumably you already have a DVD player. What sort is it, and are looking to move DVD watching over to the BD player?

Otherwise, if you will watch very little BD, I would buy a good budget player and in another generation or two, when more function has been added, upgrade then. I have a Panny 35 and think it works very well indeed. ÿ

A

Anonymous

Get a PS3, and a copy of guitar hero world tour! I recently got addicted to this STUPID game! :)

A

Anonymous

PS3, you will probably use its features more than a stand alone BR player.

It is bloody good at everything it does with all the latest updates to it!
Should come with a warning as the games around now are so addictive!

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Have a DVD recorder (Sony), which I use to play DVD's, this is connected direct to the Pionner 428. Would like possibly to get some improvement (upscaling perhaps)with BD player. The DVD recorder will still have its place in the rack so I can record from Sky HD occasionally.

A

Anonymous

Minigill:Have a DVD recorder (Sony), which I use to play DVD's, this is connected direct to the Pionner 428. Would like possibly to get some improvement (upscaling perhaps)with BD player. The DVD recorder will still have its place in the rack so I can record from Sky HD occasionally.

ÿ

Actually I have a similar set up.

Have you heard about the next-gen BluRay/HDD recorders? Maybe cheap BD now and swanky BluRay/HDD recorder in a year or so/

A

Anonymous

Your premise is a little curious if you are going to do little actual watching from DVD and Bluray!

However, the Sony and Panny are noticably better than the PS3 in terms of picture (I own all three). The Panny is slightly better than the Sony but unless you did a side by side, there is little in it.

For your uses the Sony is probably the best value and does a fairly decent job of upscaling dvds.

A

Anonymous

Either the Sony S350 or the Pioneer based on how much you want to pay.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I have the Sony 350 Blu-ray, which I'm very pleased with. ÿIMHO it would be plenty good enough if you don't watch many discs. Incidentally, you have just about the best upscaling TV available. ÿAlthough the Sony is very good in this department, I let my 4280 (basically the same TV as yours) do the upscaling of DVDs as it's marginally better. ÿJust feed it the native signal from your source.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts