which blu ray player?

A

Anonymous

with a tv of that size i would advise you saving your money and go for a playstation 3 its only marginally inferior to that as a standalone player but will upscale your dvds to 1080p and has the advantage of being updated for all the lastest features. Plus you can use it as your digital hub storing music, video and of course if your interested playing great games.

A

Anonymous

Fully agree, do not see the point of standalone Blu-ray players to be honest, unless you've got too much money or really really don't want a console...

A

Anonymous

many thanks for the help may go for a ps3 but i do have an xbox 360 for gaming but might think about a ps3 for blu ray

A

Anonymous

It's currently the only updateable player on the market! Plus you get it's upscaling abilities, as long as you play direct from DVD or stream to it.

A

Anonymous

PS3 DOESNOT HAVE 5.1/7.1 OUTPUT........SO CHECK THAT OUT AND IF THIS WILL BE A MAJOR ISSUE THAN U CAN GO AHEAD WITH S300 BLU RAY PLAYER..

A

Anonymous

Decoding in what respects, to do with sound ? I'm pretty sure that's absolute nonsense, and besides, firmware updates are released all the time to add all sorts of functionality to the PS3...

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mandeep"]PS3 DOESNOT HAVE ONBOARD DECODING OF ANY SORTS.....SO IT WOULD REQUIRE A NEW AMP WITH ALL THE DECODING OPTIONS...SO CHECK THAT OUT AND IF THIS WILL BE A MAJOR ISSUE THAN U CAN GO AHEAD WITH S300 BLU RAY PLAYER..[/quote]

That's absolute cobblers. The only audio format that the PS3 cannot decode on board is DTS HD Master Audio. At the moment no player can decode this on board although some can pass it as bitstream. The ability to decode DTS HD MA has been been rumoured to be a feature that could be added by a future software update. The PS3 does all decoding on board as it cannot pass HD audio as bitstream so you need to hook it up to an amp that can accept LPCM over HDMI to enjoy HD audio.

A

Anonymous

I paid an extra £100 and got the BDP-S500 - it has better audio (DolbyTrue) and the picture quality ( I have actually compared) is noticeably better than the PS3 plus you get full upscaling of DVD's to 1080p, plus you get 6 free bluray films (as you do with the BDP-S300)

A

Anonymous

sorry to factually correct you Stormbird but the PS3 does upscale to 1080p on dvds and as mentioned in the posts the PS3 really is close to a super computer so any updates around any future sound technologies will be available for download, please research before making comments

A

Anonymous

and might i dd the whfisav team said it was not worth the extra

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jimmyboy34"]with a tv of that size i would advise you saving your money and go for a playstation 3 its only marginally inferior to that as a standalone player but will upscale your dvds to 1080p and has the advantage of being updated for all the lastest features. Plus you can use it as your digital hub storing music, video and of course if your interested playing great games.[/quote]

Which great games are there on the PS3??????

A

Anonymous

Resistance Fall of Man

Call of Duty 4

Ratchet and Clank

Singstar

Guitar Heroes

Burnout Paradise

Unchartered

i could go on.....

A

Anonymous

Well said Axum, it was so easy to jump on the dis the ps3 bandwagon at first, but more games will now be developed solely from ps3, but and its a big but i think most people understermated the blu ray angle and now that hd dvd is dead in the water what other system can come close to the total media hub that is PS3, and before you say something starting with X please how ugly is that hd add on come on guys be sensible

A

Anonymous

And well said you sir.

Totally agree, people are getting bitter now :p

HD-DVD is dead and buried, being outsold by a ridiculous ratio to Blu-ray and people jumping ship already. Combine that with a truly updateable player, an upscaler, a brilliant games machine with jaw-dropping capable gfx production, then chuck in the media player aspect and it's a no-brainer.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Axum"]
And well said you sir.

Totally agree, people are getting bitter now :p

HD-DVD is dead and buried, being outsold by a ridiculous ratio to Blu-ray and people jumping ship already. Combine that with a truly updateable player, an upscaler, a brilliant games machine with jaw-dropping capable gfx production, then chuck in the media player aspect and it's a no-brainer.
[/quote]
Well thats your opinion but i recommend you read this:http://whathifi.com/forums/t/6866.aspx

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="burhan"]Well thats your opinion but i recommend you read this:http://whathifi.com/forums/t/6866.aspx[/quote]

Nytol works pretty well, too...

A

Anonymous

Burhan get with the program these things are done so far in advance, all the credible studios are backing blu-ray, im afraid i dont feel as though the town is now bug enough for the both of them. Time will tell, i like the HD format but if it fails i will put the blame firmly on Microsofts blame, they update there console without HD capabilities built in, they make an add on in white when the updates console is black, they release a console that if you want to go WI-FI ie (most people) you HAVE to buy an additional plug in, you HAVE to pay for online. The way people are taking to PS3 as a media-hi-def hub i really do think Microsoft had the chance to wipe the floor with Sony and Blu Ray but ultimatley the Elite was a lame duck, i considered even at the PS3 higher price whjat was the value and im sorry even a cheap HDMI cable exepted i didnt want to buy an add on 120 quid ugly HDMI player, neither did i want the ugly WI FI Adapter(extra cost) neither do i want an ugly Power adapted with my slinky Plasma Panel, Thats where the war was lost, with a bit more research and thought it could of been good but foot and shot spring to mind

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stormbird8"]I paid an extra £100 and got the BDP-S500 [/quote]

You could have paid even more and got the BDP-S1e and then read AVReviews head to head with the PS3 and the result would have been the same. If any player is being bundled with a load of dvd's you know you are not buying the bargain it might at first seem - look at the Toshiba bundle deals that have been doing the rounds.

I might be mistaken, but there appears to be a degree of 'it's a games machine and therefore cannot be as good as a stand-alone player' snobbery when reference is made to the PS3, but I have yet to read a group test where the Playstation has been left for dead. Granted, by the end of the year there should be a number of good, Profle 2.0 machines released that may prove capable of beating it but I guarantee Burnout Paradise will look c**p on all of them!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jimmyboy34"]Burhan get with the program these things are done so far in advance, all the credible studios are backing blu-ray, im afraid i dont feel as though the town is now bug enough for the both of them. Time will tell, i like the HD format but if it fails i will put the blame firmly on Microsofts blame, they update there console without HD capabilities built in, they make an add on in white when the updates console is black, they release a console that if you want to go WI-FI ie (most people) you HAVE to buy an additional plug in, you HAVE to pay for online. The way people are taking to PS3 as a media-hi-def hub i really do think Microsoft had the chance to wipe the floor with Sony and Blu Ray but ultimatley the Elite was a lame duck, i considered even at the PS3 higher price whjat was the value and im sorry even a cheap HDMI cable exepted i didnt want to buy an add on 120 quid ugly HDMI player, neither did i want the ugly WI FI Adapter(extra cost) neither do i want an ugly Power adapted with my slinky Plasma Panel, Thats where the war was lost, with a bit more research and thought it could of been good but foot and shot spring to mind[/quote]

Thats because microsoft isnt trying to build one machine that does everything averagely. So what if the Xbox 360 doesnt have a built in hd dvd player, you can buy a toshiba hd dvd player for £120 so why bother with the add on if you think its ugly?? Wifi not being inbuilt is not a major issue anyway because you get the CHOICE of buying it or not, alot of people prefer using an ethernet cable for gaming as downloading and uploading is alot quicker than using wifi. Yes we pay £35 for a year of online gaming and to be honest £35 is no biggie considering how good xbox live is compared to PSN and it cant be all that bad considering 10 million people subscribe to it world wide. Sony once advertised the PS3 as the must have games console, now that it has established its place as a 3rd choice console for gamers Sony are now advertising it as the must have Blu Ray player. Six different SKU's already, cutting out features from every new model they come up with, what will they cut out next?? Since they cant come up with a decent exclusive game they may aswel cut out gaming features too and sell it solely as a Blu Ray player. When it comes to games the list does not carry on as Axum stated, more than half those games he listed are on the Xbox 360, and i might add the 360 versions are better. As for Resistance and Uncharted do they really compare to the likes of Gears of War, Halo, Mass Effect, Bio Shock, Crackdown...now this list could go on and on and further more 2008 will add titles such as Fable 2, Too Human, Ninja Gaiden 2, Halo Wars, Splinter Cell Conviction as exclusives...whereas PS3 may get GT5, MGS4 and Tekken 6. The shelf life of the PS3 will ultimately depend upon it games not Blu ray. Blu ray players will eventually become cheaper and better than what the PS3 has to offer, and then what will come of it? Remember one thing, the PS2 was so succesful because it was the best games console not the best dvd player, it got its priorities righ. This time round even Nintendo's Wii is out selling the PS3 and it cant even play dvds let alone any HD media. Sony may eventually win the HD war, but it has done so at the cost of ruining its gaming heritage and the Play Station brand.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ginder"]This time round even Nintendo's Wii is out selling the PS3 [/quote]

......and both outsell the Xbox. 'nuff said

A

Anonymous

My point was the games are getting better and better and they are being released more frequently.

And anyway, the Wii is outselling everything at the moment isn't it ?

I don't agree with your last statement, i think the market has changed dramatically, when once before yes, it would come down to the games the console plays, i now think this has shifted to the all-round capabilities, and that's something that Sony are improving all the time via their firmware updates making it into a true media player, and what with "everyone" having broadband connections and home networks, either wireless or otherwise, i think this is increasing in importance. If you just want to play great games, buy a decent PC.

As regards the HD/Blu-ray competition i haven't got the time or energy or inclination to go into such detail as some are. I just read the news articles, and that may be a bit of an overall view but the stats are there.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="david1997"]
[quote user="Ginder"]This time round even Nintendo's Wii is out selling the PS3 [/quote]

......and both outsell the Xbox. 'nuff said
[/quote]

PS3 outselling the Xbox 360?? You are joking right?? lol Here are some figures for you "On January 17, the NPD Group reported its final US game-industry sales figures for 2007, which provided more ammunition for console-war partisans in the form of hard numbers. For the year, the Nintendo Wii sold 6.29 million units (7.38 million lifetime to date[LTD]), the Xbox 360 sold 4.62 million units, (9.15 million LTD), the PlayStation 2 sold 3.97 million units, (41.12 million LTD), and the PlayStation 3 sold 2.56 million units (3.25 million LTD)."

If the market has changed so much then why is the PS2 still outselling the PS3?? If you look at recent media coverage, the games industry seems to have over taken the movie industry, where games are making more of a revenue than the box office. All im saying is Sony needs to focus on this as selling bluray movies alone will not give the PS3 the reputation that the PS2 had.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure those figures will start to catchup over the next few months.

Besides, doesn't the PS3 automatically inherit the PS2's reputation seeing as it's backward compatible ?! ;-)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Axum"]
I'm sure those figures will start to catchup over the next few months.

Besides, doesn't the PS3 automatically inherit the PS2's reputation seeing as it's backward compatible ?! ;-)

[/quote]

No, the PS3 is no longer backwardly compatible. The original U.S 60gig version had this feature via hardware (Emotion Engine) this version has since been phased out. The 80gig version supports backward compatibility via software emulation only. The UK 60gig version never had this via hardware only software emulation, the UK 60gig model has also been phased out. The new 40gig does NOT include backward compatibility at all either by hardware or by firmware and software emulation. There are rumours of a 120gig PS3 which is to be released along with Dual Shock 3 controllers but again it may not support any kind of backward compatibility. So it seems automatic inheritence of the PS2's reputation is also also a big no no lol Check out the link below :-D

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/05/40gb-ps3-official-for-europe-no-backwards-compatibility-at-a/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts