Which blu ray movies?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to compare two different centre speakers & two subwoofers. I'd like opinions on the best blu rays to test the centre's on & best ones to test the subs.
Anticipation.......
................................cheers.

A

Anonymous

Tron, Dark knight, Bolt, Battle Los Angles & transformers 2 have good soundtracks.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
markjaspi said:
Tron, Dark knight, Bolt, Battle Los Angles & transformers 2 have good soundtracks.

Must include;

Hurt Locker. sub, centre and off screen dynamics

Sherlock Holmes, brilliant surround effects

Sliced Bread

I find that for testing centre speakers, films with clear nuanced and deep chesty vocals are perfect.

Kill Bill 2 & No country for old men are two great examples.

Lesser centre speakers will drop lower registers of the vocals and sound less natural.

A

Anonymous

Cheers, everyone, luckily I've got a couple of them. Might have to get Spidey 3 & No Country too.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Watching Battle: Los Angeles at the moment, ok not a fantastic film i would rate it about 6 out of 10 for the acting, it's main redeeming feature is the good DTS HD MA sound track.

Edit: Just finished it & i would describe it as a new take on Independence Day from the ground, but with an excellent sound track. Overall i would give it 6.5 out of 10, seen it all before in Independence day & only the sound track lifts the score that high.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I would agree its such a difficult film to watch, hardly no storyline and no development of characters

But for DTS HD its good. Anotehr one to add is Mission to Mars its a beautiful example ot surround and its not over the top, very detailed too.

Oh yes and Inception, the scene tehre the train smashed into the car, beautiful sound!

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with all posts and one film I'd recommend for sub an centre would have to be "A Warriors Way" the picture is very cinematic but sound track is awesome!! Bren gun going off to test your sub, its such a huge sound of different LFE and very clear Dialogue. It's a must see, anyone else seen it?

F

FunkyMonkey

3:10 To Yuma. Stunning. Vocals, shots, thuds, ambience, incredible mixing, and intense score. Great film, too!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
f1only said:
Watching Battle: Los Angeles at the moment, ok not a fantastic film i would rate it about 6 out of 10 for the acting, it's main redeeming feature is the good DTS HD MA sound track.

Edit: Just finished it & i would describe it as a new take on Independence Day from the ground, but with an excellent sound track. Overall i would give it 6.5 out of 10, seen it all before in Independence day & only the sound track lifts the score that high.
I think Battle LA is an excellent movie, i do share your point where its a new take on ID4 from the ground. I'd have to rate it a 9/10, the sound is excellent especially the sub bass, i just think the whole movie looks wonderful, i must have watched it 4 times in a week up to now.

There's not alot of character development but i soon got attached to them enough to care. Love it !

If you want to see how bad an alien movie can be , watch Skyline..... Dreadful

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
jase fox said:
f1only said:

I think Battle LA is an excellent movie, i do share your point where its a new take on ID4 from the ground. I'd have to rate it a 9/10, the sound is excellent especially the sub bass, i just think the whole movie looks wonderful, i must have watched it 4 times in a week up to now.

There's not alot of character development but i soon got attached to them enough to care. Love it !

Thats fine by me jase fox you are entitiled to your opinion & as you like it thats fine by me 8) , enjoy. As you say the audio is excellent ( as stated in my original post ) & i would fully agree, i would give it 9/10. Unfortunatly that for me, does not make a whole movie, due in part to the lack of character developement, hence my overall lower score. That said it's not by any stretch of the imagination a poor film, it could just be better.

I agree fully with you about Skyline.

Since my little review as it were, i have watched the Incredibles on Blu Ray & that i would have to give at least 9/10 for audio & story. Next up Limitless & Ironclad :bigsmile:

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
f1only said:
jase fox said:
f1only said:

Thats fine by me jase fox you are entitiled to your opinion & as you like it thats fine by me 8) , enjoy. As you say the audio is excellent ( as stated in my original post ) & i would fully agree, i would give it 9/10. Unfortunatly that for me, does not make a whole movie, due in part to the lack of character developement, hence my overall lower score. That said it's not by any stretch of the imagination a poor film, it could just be better.

I agree fully with you about Skyline.

Since my little review as it were, i have watched the Incredibles on Blu Ray & that i would have to give at least 9/10 for audio & story. Next up Limitless & Ironclad :bigsmile:
Sorry f1only, my review was'nt a dig at yours mate, just giving my personal opinion. And as for The Incredibles i totally agree with you, always liked the film and could'nt wait for it to come to bluray, it was well worth the wait.

But my all time favourite animation is How to train your dragon, fantastic film, great Picture and sound quality with a good story and great characters, have you seen it? If not, i'd certainly recommend you do!
smiley-wink.gif

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone is entitled to an opinion jase fox & i respect your views on it, they just dont all happen to match mine, it's the old addage if we all liked the same thing..........
smiley-laughing.gif

I have seen How To Train Your Dragon & loved it. I've been after buying a copy of it for ages now & waiting for the price to come down to what i would call the right level ( a few £ less than £10 ) for a blu ray on the 2nd hand market.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi F1only,

I always wait anyway for "the right price" for blurays, it still annoys me when i see some titles for £22.99 + :O the most i dont mind paying is around £15.00 for a film i REALLY want.

You have a good kit list anyway, been meaning to add mine to my signature. In fact there's no time like the present ;)

A

Anonymous

For the Sub , try Transformers 2 , Terminator salvation , and believe it or not 'Clear and Present Danger'. The latter was an old demo fave on DVD and laserdisc and has a couple of scenes (Bus ambush and the laser guided bomb attack) that will definately test any sub's depth and 'Punch'. for dialogue try Apocalypse now (marlon Brando) and inglorious Bastards (plenty of dodgy accents ! LOL ) . :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts