Which AV Receiver would you recommend for DALI Ikon 6?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am planning to buy DALI Ikon 6 floor standers this week as I am getting them at an attractive price. I am planning to upgrade this stereo setup into a complete Ikon 6 5.1 home theatre system over next six-eight months. I am on a tight budget and so don't want to invest into a dedicated CD player/amplifier combination. I am intending to use my PS3 as a source for audio/video and thinking of buying the latest Denon AVR1910 which I think should be fine based on the reviews I have been reading.

The questions I have are -

1. How good will the combination of PS3 + Denon AVR1910 + Ikon 6 pair sound (stereo combination)? Music is as important to me as movies, the use will be 50:50 music and movies.

2. Can I use this setup (with just two speakers) for movies? Can the Denon provide surround equivalent effect with two speaker?

3. I have a room about 17 feet in length and 11 feet wide - will this be too big a combination?

4. Will bi-wiring the speakers help? And should I buy extra cables for the same?

5. Should I consider any amp from Yamaha (in the same price range as Denon) instead of Denon?

I will really appriciate answers to my questions. Thank you in advance.

- Max

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Max, welcome to the forum. The Ikon 6 is a very good speaker and it sound great in stereo as well as 5.1. The Ikon range will work with most amplifiers and you will get out what you put in. Do you have any more in your budget to take your amplifier up a level? The Denon will drive the speakers but with something further up the scale you will benefit from a cleaner and more controlled sound.

You will be able to use any av amp with just the front speakers and with good quality speakers such as the Dali's you will have a clear focus point so easily cope without a centre.

Your room size is fine

Bi-wiring will help no end and I would advise that you buy the extra cable.

Yamaha would be my choice ( or Marantz ) as they produce AV amps with a a strength in stereo. Denon is not a main brand for us so I cant say for sure how it will interact with the Dali's.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Nick for the detailed reply, though I am not sure I completely understand what you meant by "Yamaha would be my choice ( or Marantz ) as they produce AV amps with a a strength in stereo". Is there any known problem with Denon in stereo mode? Also do you know how would the two speakers work for movies?

I can stretch my budget by about 100 GBP, is there anything comparable with Marantz or Yamaha?

Thanks again.

Max.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Max, sorry I wasnt clear. The Yamaha and Marantz range tend to produce amps that excel at stereo as well as home cinema rather than concentrate on just surround sound.

There is no issue at all with the performance of the Denon it may be that another amp provides you with bigger gains in stereo performance.

Running stereo for movies will be fine, all sound would be directed to the main speakers. There is an option for virtual surround but I would tend to stick with just stereo for just now. You have chosen a very capable speaker and I think you will be impressed with the results.

Going to £550 would put the Marantz SR5003 and Yamaha RXV-765 on your radar.

A

Anonymous

The DALI Ikon 6 package is a fantastic one, and I would certainly suggest to spend more on the A/V Receiver. If you are happy with Denon, I would suggest a Denon AVR2809.

Otherwise, I personally would suggest something like a Yamaha RX-V1900 or better still, the Yamaha RX-V3900, or the Marantz SR6003.

The Yamaha's and Marantz's do have the edge over similarly-priced Denon A/V Receivers, when it comes to 2-channel stereo reproduction, and to my ears, overall sound quality (even in surround sound).

Dan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts