Which AV receiver to match B&W 704 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

Appreciate if you have any recommendation of an AV receiver to go with B&W 704 as front pair ? I am not keen on 5.1 but may go for a sub-woofer later. I want to hook all my sources and hence looking at AV receiver and not an amplifier.

Thanks,

Neeraj

A

Anonymous

Do you already own the 704's?

Given that speakers like the 704 are a hi-fi speaker and designed around hi-fi amplification, you're going to need to be looking at amps like the upcoming Arcam AVR600 and marantz pre/power ideally. You'll find a few cheaper amps will probably drive them ok (like the Yamaha RXV3800/3900/Onkyo 906/Pioneer SCLX81 etc), but you'll not be hearing the speakers at their best.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I dont have 704 yet but looking at a sale at 1400 euros (1150 pounds) and am tempted. I was also thinking in terms of minimum Yamaha 3800/3900 or Denon 3808. Onkyo / Pioneer models you mentioned and all Arcam stuff are way too costly here. Wish there were more mainstream options.

How about between Denon 3808, Marantz 8002 and Yamaha 3800 ? What would you choose as compatible to B&W 704 ?

nads

sorry but why an AV amp?

a good quality Stereo amp would suit the speakers bettter, and as long as the sub has HF ins you will have no issues using a sub. (even better if the amp has terminals for 2 pairs of speakers).

A

Anonymous

I was considering an AV because I would like to connect all my sources - DVD player, CD player, PS2, Sat receiver to one amp box.

If WHF can suggest Onkyo 875 for Tannoy Signature and in the same test there was B&W 683 theater probably driven by same Onkyo then sure a step up Yamaha/Denon/Marantz should do for B&W 704.

But maybe I am understimating 704s and maybe they are that special/difficult to be not wasted by an AV receiver. Can anyone pl confirm ?

thanks ;-)

TRENDING THREADS