Which Amplifier?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I am looking for an amplifier (integrated) for up to £400. I would prefer second hand, as this should in theory, get me something of higher quality than new.

I quite like the look of the NAD C370/2s and Arcam FMJ-32s and A85s. Does anyone have any experience of these amps and what other similar or better options are there at this price point?

My 'system' so far is...

B&W602 S2s and OPPO 981 universal player

Yet to be purchased... Beresford Caiman/DACmagic and a NAS, with either Squeezebox or Sonos.

If anything will be upgraded in the future, it would most likely be the OPPO, but the addition of the DAC may make this option not worthwhile.

Your thoughts please....[:)]

A

Anonymous

Keep your eye on eBay for a Musical Fidelity X-series (the rounded ones) or an A3, they go for next to nothing, class A/B and dual-mono construction. Amazing amps for the money that used to be great partners with the Monitor Audio GR60, so you can imagine how well it would control the 602's.

Example would be the one I bought 16 minutes after it came one eBay, yesterday! - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300525222780&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Couldn't let a deal like that go. Although there is a Hi-Fi dealer in England with one that they will do for £375 posted if you ask them: http://www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk/amplification/musical-fidelity-a3-dual-mono-amplifier/

Alternatively a Rotel RB971 and a NAD C270 would be nice :)

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i need to buy an amplifier for my B & W 603 S3 speakers-floor standing ones and am undecided between the Yamaha AS500 and the NAD 356 BEE.suggestions anyone?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Monstrous,

Thank you for the reply. I have my eye on something now.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

kingcrimson:i need to buy an amplifier for my B & W 603 S3 speakers-floor standing ones and am undecided between the Yamaha AS500 and the NAD 356 BEE.suggestions anyone?

Both amps would work well but you could do to demo as both sound different!

It may be handy to start up your own post and providing more info as well so more ideas can be given (i.e. budget, what music you generally listen to, what your source is etc...)

A

Anonymous

Overdose:
I am looking for an amplifier (integrated) for up to £400. I would prefer second hand, as this should in theory, get me something of higher quality than new.

I quite like the look of the NAD C370/2s and Arcam FMJ-32s and A85s. Does anyone have any experience of these amps and what other similar or better options are there at this price point?

My 'system' so far is...

B&W602 S2s and OPPO 981 universal player

Yet to be purchased... Beresford Caiman/DACmagic and a NAS, with either Squeezebox or Sonos.

If anything will be upgraded in the future, it would most likely be the OPPO, but the addition of the DAC may make this option not worthwhile.

Your thoughts please....
emotion-1.gif

The B&W 602 S2's are good speakers and IMO were always better than the 602 S3's
emotion-1.gif

For amps, I think along the lines of Musicla Fidelity, Rotel, NAD and Arcam suit B&W best

A decent MF XA100/200 would be a good amp to go for as would a decent Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 integrated, NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated or some of the older Rotel amps.

80wpc and above would be spot on the for the B&W's BUT I had those speakers with a NAD C320BEE integrated (50wpc) and they still sounded absolutely superb
emotion-11.gif

T

the record spot

It's probably worth - with that budget - checking out the likes of some Musical Fidelity gear. Their A3.5 amps often turn up for around the £300-400 mark, look and by all accounts sound superb and would be a fine addition assuming you think they work well with your current equipment. It's also worth having some manufacturers whose gear is a bit above the usual suspects to consider.

See also, if you don't mind older gear, Pioneer's higher end 1970s SA9500/SA9800 or Sansui's AU-717, 919 or - if you're feeling really flush - the massively rare AU907 aDR amp on Ebay right now! All of which will comfortably outperform most amps under £1000 even at over 30 years old.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all.

So, the whittled down choices are X-A200R, A3, Kandy LIII all within £50 of each other. Are any of these three head and shoulders above the rest?

Forgot to mention the Arcam A85

A

Anonymous

I'd go for Creek, Exposure or (if you can find them at a decent price) the Nait5i italic. The latter is a real classic, though I am slightly biased

A

Anonymous

Overdose:
Thank you all.

So, the whittled down choices are X-A200R, A3, Kandy LIII all within £50 of each other. Are any of these three head and shoulders above the rest?

Forgot to mention the Arcam A85

Arcam Alpha 10 and NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated

Both superb amps and will compete VERY well along side the above MF's and Creek amps. A better choice than the Arcam DiVA A85 IMO as well

The MF A200 is a stunning little amp though; deffo keep your eyes on that
emotion-11.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts