Which Amp??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone, Just looking for a bit of advice please. I'm buying myself a whole new set up for my new house i'm set in the following parts.. TV.... Samsung LE40M86 or 87 dont really know any difference between 2, Speakers.... Aego T 5.1 with QED Silver Anniversary Speaker wire. The problem I'm having is choosing between Amps I've narrowed it down to 3. 1. The sony STR-5200 2. Onkyo TX-SR605 or 3. Onkyo TX-SR705. I've seen tv for £920 and speakers for £600 My budget for amp is 800 so the Sony is right at limit. According to the net the Onkyo 705 isnt out till September. There no reviews of either Onkyo But they both seem good and future proof. I have a PS3 and am getting Sky HD soon was just looking for some advice on the amps. Thanks for any advice in advance. P.s Anyone rate the Samsung LE32R86WD Tv. Missus Wants it for Bedroom.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,
I'll come back to you with a full answer tomorrow, but a quick reply re the Samsung TVs - the 86 and 87 models are the standard model and the Dixons-group (Dixons, Currys) specific models. Samsung ensures us they are the same fundamental set, but we are checking this out so we can add ratings for both models into our Buyer's Guide.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

Thanks alot for your help.

Also after a long night browsing i also come across the Onkyo TX-805 which is £800. And seen the Sony for £700. Even more decisions i can feel a headache coming on here ha ha.

Thanks again for help and i eagerly await your advice tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Hi again,

Ok so after narrowing it down further my final choice of amps is between the Onkyo TX-SR805 and the Sony STR-DA5200. I'm edging towards the sony as the reviews are excellent everywhere i look. Plus i seen it delivered for £625. As the Onkyo is brand new its hard to find reviews on it. Has Anyone got this Reciever yet and what do they think of it?????

Any advise would be welcome Thanks.

Paul
P.s Anyone tried new the White Samsung out yet LE32R86WD

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chalky. At the price you've seen it, the Sony's certainly hard to ignore. I've heard Onkyo's £250 TX-SR505 (five stars in the August issue, it's excellent value) and I'm currently warming up an '875 (£1000, should make the September issue, can't tell you yet if it's a worldbeater or not), and it seems that Onkyo are in form at the moment. But unless you can get it for under £800 I'd be inclined to recommend the Sony.

I haven't seen any white Samsung screens, I'm afraid, and as Samsung is currently playing model number bingo it's impossible to generalise about its range.

A

Anonymous

Hi Simon,

Thanks for advice, I was swaying towards the Sony at the cheaper price and use extra money elswhere in the house.

Thanks again Chalky.

A

Anonymous

If you can wait until the August/September timeframe, you may want to consider the Onkyo TX-SR875 or TX-NR905.

The specs and pricing of these units is very competitive, and they come with a real breakthrough feature: both of these units have a superb video scaling processor inside, the Silicon Optix Reon VX-50, which is much better than even Faroudja scalers, according to several sources. At this time, I know of no other A/V receiver which comes with a Reon at this pricepoint.

Also, the Burr-Brown DAC audio processors that these Onkyo's have are of a newer and better type than most receivers available today or announced.

ps: I hope to see a review of the 875 and 905 in the near feature also in "What Hifi?" Could the editors let us know in which issues that would be?

A

Anonymous

Hi.

Thanks for tip i did look at the mentioned amps but the price is putting me off slightly. I like the look of both the amps and am looking on forums as we speak for any info on them.

A

Anonymous

Messed up with tag on last reply sorry,

Couple of quick questions 1. I.ve seen the 875 for 1229 euro on german amazon looks in stock to if i was to order from the does anyone know what costs i'll be looking at having to pay???? and 2. Might sound daft but could i put my pc thru an amp with a dvi to hdmi lead then from amp to tv any ideas.??? just a thought whizzing round my cranium at this time sounds like it should work to me anyone help??????? Thanks CHALKY.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You should only have to pay whatever delivery charges there are - as it's from Germany, no extra taxes etc. But the DVI thing won't give you audio - you'll need to run a digital or analogue audio connection from computer to receiver, too.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, Thanks for quick reply. Just another quick query to add to previous would there be any probs with the amp if bought from germany like Electrical (power supply + voltage)??? Features should all be the same shouldnt they and all work in UK? unfortunatly the whole site is in german aswell so dont know if my uk account will be any good for ordering. Last prob would be warranty any help on these would be great thanks very much in advance. Chalky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts