Which amp - Yamaha 863 or Denon 2809

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First post so here goes - just ordered KEF 3005se and am not sure which amp to go for. The two I have in mind are the 863 (but struggling trying to find one to listen to) and the Denon 2809. I've little knowledge on systems and have chosen the 3005 from reviews on this site so your help on which amp is going to go the best with the speakers will be very welcome. The Denon is working out at about £100 more is it worth it?

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi Terry,

WHF gave good reviews for both of these receivers, but the review for the Denon came out after the Yamaha and it referenced a comparison to the later in which it states that they opine the Yamaha amp to be the better performer.

http://whathifi.com/Review/Denon-AVR-2809/

I personally am a Denon owner, but I know that my 3808 has some better internals that differentiate it's performance to the 2809 (it better!!). But especially the way that the review was written, the impression I received was that if you are looking between these two AVRs (especially if you can get them for within £100 of each other), you really should give them a listen side-by-side. I have owned both Yamaha and Denon AVRs and I find that the two makes tend to have a character to them. Especially when people are looking at the better end of the spectrum some people will naturally gravitate towards one or the other's sound.

A

Anonymous

Tom, cheers for the info. Managed to find an 863 in a local dealer, had a listen and bought it today. Seems like there's a shortage of 863's so was lucky to find one. Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Just out of interest, did you have a listen to the Denon alongside it?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Bought my 863 today from tottenham court road. Wonderful with my Quads.

A

Anonymous

No sorry I didn't. I did listen to the Denon at another dealer who didn't have an 863 in. I'm not experienced enough to say I could honestly tell the difference but at £150 cheaper and with such good reviews I plumped for the 863. Sorry

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts