Which amp with Kef Reference Model One (1995)?

jma47

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking to upgrade my old (should I say vintage?) system. It consist of a Technics SU 8077 (1979), a Denon CD player (DCD 610) and the Kef Reference Model One (1995).

I have two alternatives: keep the current system and use it in my office and start from scratch for the living-room or upgrade by replacing some elements What should I replace first? and by what? I believe it is the CD player.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Please be aware I would like to have the possibility to listen to internet radio or use service such as Spotify Qobuz in a near future. So, I believe I shall have to use a different amplifier in order to connect a streamer.

One more thing. I did borrow a Naim UnitiLite for the week-end (I did just use the cd player, no streaming). It was an improvement even if for some music I found the sound quite metallic (i.e. piano solo The Köln Concert from Keith Jarrett or an oud recital).

I don't listen to classical music much but I like Blues, Jazz, World music, music from the seventies , ...

To give you an idea of budget: maximum £1500 for the amp. (rest of equipment should be of same quality level).

Thanks in advance for your input.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would look at Electrocompaniet PI-1 (ECI-3 or PI-2 would be better, but a little above budget).......these amps are known for the current they have available, which is what's needed.

For less money, there is the Harman Kardon HK990, which has a lot of power for its price.

There is also the Rega Elicit R, which might do the job (105 W @ 8 Ohms / 162 W @ 4 Ohms)

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I had some Reference Twos in the late 90s and used them with a Naim amp, but found they were better suited to the Rega amps of the day. To be honest, as they're very efficient as I recall, you could easily use the Rega Brio-R. I think the Elicit-R might be a bit OTT both in terms of £££ and sound.

jma47

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
i had the opportunity to listen to the rega Elicit R connected to the PEL Kantor S2 last Friday, the source was rhe Apollo R and the result was fantastic (but the loudspeakers are 3900 Eur)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. Those old Reference series were efficient, but needed an amp with decent current, to keep the bass under control. I suggest you bring them to a dealer and try some amps out.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Reference Ones lacked the natural punch that the Twos had (partly due to the Ones only having one internal driver compared to the two of the Twos), and due to being a little less efficient than the Twos, they really needed a really dynamic and grippy amplifier to get some real punch out of them.

A UnitiLite really won't do the trick. I would suggest looking at the used amplifier market to really get the most out of your money. My suggestions wouldn't be within your price point. Although you could try the Onkyo A9000R...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts