Which amp is best: Yamaha 3060, Denon 7200 or Arcam 550?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Why would you do that?  Do you not trust AV processors as preamps?

Yes i know they are just as good and no difference however however im putting my system together from stratch again in stages and av, although very important is comming last.
Budget is also lower for av so a fully balanced av control amp imo too expensive (thats the ones i looked at)

And i may only get centre and rears in a few years so just going stereo for now.

I dont even have speakers atm.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont know if they are as good mate - thats why I was asking you to see if you had done comparisons and what you had found.

I think my systems sounds better than a lot of other hifi systems I have heard in a lot of ways.

However hifi system always seem to have a snap to the sound I cant quite seem to manage to achieve depsite a mans best efforts. I was going to see what you had found but I understand your take on it

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I dont know if they are as good mate - thats why I was asking you to see if you had done comparisons and what you had found.

I think my systems sounds better than a lot of other hifi systems I have heard in a lot of ways.

However hifi system always seem to have a snap to the sound I cant quite seem to manage to achieve depsite a mans best efforts.  I was going to see what you had found but I understand your take on it 

I suppose it all depends on the design. I wanted true, fully balanced so imagine how much that would of costed, although Marantz do a very good one for pretty cheap but i did not (for possible unfair reason) want it as my main stereo pride and joy, comming from the hegel. That train of thought may also be unfair but hifi sometimes is how you feel as well as how it compares sound wise - very hypocritical comming from me, i admit

Anyway, yesterday, i ordered a benchmark dac to handle those duties so when i eventually get the av control amp, i promise i will do a bake off for everyone and ill be totally honest with the findings.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Emotiva XMC-1, also has Dirac Live.

I did actually look at this one. But not deep enough. I may have missed a trick here.
It may have been my crap phone but i was sure the av preamp was not fully balanced.

I may have seen an other model.

That is such a good buy

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

I did actually look at this one. But not deep enough. I may have missed a trick here. It may have been my crap phone but i was sure the av preamp was not fully balanced.

That is such a good buy

I see balanced XLRs for each channel. SNR of 123db balanced vs 110db unbalanced output. Your pet bats would approve.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

I did actually look at this one. But not deep enough. I may have missed a trick here. It may have been my crap phone but i was sure the av preamp was not fully balanced.

That is such a good buy

I see balanced XLRs for each channel. SNR of 123db balanced vs 110db unbalanced output. Your pet bats would approve.

Looking back now a few weeks ago the cheaper stereo was fully balanced and the av processor i looked at definately was not that one even though that was the model so i instantly dismissed it. Ive f-d up on that one. Its a steal for the value plus the diraclive built in. Wish id looked more on it.
Damn samsung galaxy 4

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

That is such a good buy

Looking back now a few weeks ago the cheaper stereo was fully balanced and the av processor i looked at definately was not that one even though that was the model so i instantly dismissed it. Ive f-d up on that one. Its a steal for the value plus the diraclive built in. Wish id looked more on it. Damn samsung galaxy 4

If I was building a surround system I would go for that Emotiva and hook up JBL LSR308 and LSR305 actives, plus two LSR310S subs. I think it would be mindblowing sound for the budget.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

That is such a good buy

Looking back now a few weeks ago the cheaper stereo was fully balanced and the av processor i looked at definately was not that one even though that was the model so i instantly dismissed it. Ive f-d up on that one. Its a steal for the value plus the diraclive built in. Wish id looked more on it. Damn samsung galaxy 4

If I was building a surround system I would go for that Emotiva and hook up JBL LSR308 and LSR305 actives, plus two LSR310S subs. I think it would be mindblowing sound for the budget. 

How much better are these:
JBL LSR705P
JBL LSR708P

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

That is such a good buy

How much better are these: JBL LSR705P JBL LSR708P

Those are not in the cheap and cheerful teritory. Serious drivers, cabinets and amps implemented. Interestingly they use proper horn loaded compression drivers unlike the cheaper siblings that utilize horn loaded dome tweeters.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

That is such a good buy

How much better are these: JBL LSR705P JBL LSR708P

Those are not in the cheap and cheerful teritory. Serious drivers, cabinets and amps implemented. Interestingly they use proper horn loaded compression drivers unlike the cheaper siblings that utilize horn loaded dome tweeters.

Id have to give them a try. What do you think as stereo fronts?

Dont know if its just me but i find jbl.websites a nightmare to find stuff on.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
8" fronts, sides and center

5" the rest

12" subs

a mere £13,000 - £15,000 system *biggrin*

7 series as fronts and centre

3 series as rears and sides.

Would be good for movies.
Proper studio monitors. Remember we discussed thise compression drivers over a year ago and i actually tried to demo them but its hard to find them in stock for a demo but in going try again and see if anyone has them.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

5" the rest

12" subs

a mere £13,000 - £15,000 system *biggrin*

Would be good for movies. Proper studio monitors. Remember we discussed thise compression drivers over a year ago and i actually tried to demo them but its hard to find them in stock for a demo but in going try again and see if anyone has them.

You can order online the babies LSR305 and get some perspective how JBLs worst actives sound. It only gets better up in the M2 technology pecking order. If you don't like them, you can return them and get a refund.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

5" the rest

12" subs

Would be good for movies. Proper studio monitors. Remember we discussed thise compression drivers over a year ago and i actually tried to demo them but its hard to find them in stock for a demo but in going try again and see if anyone has them.

You can order online the babies LSR305 and get some perspective how JBLs worst actives sound. It only gets better up in the M2 technology pecking order. If you don't like them, you can return them and get a refund.

I may do as ive no speakers. Good idea.

But i really want to hear those compression drivers.

Do you have any more info on what type of amps are in the 7s?

I presume class d?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
All JBL Pro monitors before they are packaged and sold run a 100h torture test at full volume.

JBL Pro 7 Series actives are still new, yet to get their testimonials like the 3 Series.
r99gt 1 month ago - Very interested in these. I currently have Event Opals and these might be a good replacement. I am very impressed with the LSR 305's I have at my PC.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

5" the rest

12" subs

I presume class d?

JBL 708P - Active 2-way reference monitor with 120W/250W Class D bi-amplification

To get the best results from their custom drivers, JBL designed a powerful Class D amplification system for the 708P studio monitor. A 250-watt amp powers the 2409H high-frequency transducer, while a 250-watt amp drives the 728G low-frequency transducer. This system allows the 708P to deliver much more output than similar-sized speakers, allowing you to place it at greater distances in post production or mastering environments.

The amp in my 305s is rated by JBL as 41W + 41W continuous. I don't see them publishing peak watts in transients.

There are also DSP options for room correction on the back from a selectable menu in a display. You connect straight to the Benchmark DAC3 via balanced XLR.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

5" the rest

12" subs

I presume class d?

JBL 708P - Active 2-way reference monitor with 120W/250W Class D bi-amplification

To get the best results from their custom drivers, JBL designed a powerful Class D amplification system for the 708P studio monitor. A 250-watt amp powers the 2409H high-frequency transducer, while a 250-watt amp drives the 728G low-frequency transducer. This system allows the 708P to deliver much more output than similar-sized speakers, allowing you to place it at greater distances in post production or mastering environments.

The amp in my 305s is rated by JBL as 41W + 41W continuous. I don't see them publishing peak watts in transients. 

There are also DSP options for room correction on the back from a selectable menu in a display. You connect straight to the Benchmark DAC3 via balanced XLR.

Thanks for the info. Ill be looking later when i get home. I think if i were to go for the 3 series, id go for the 8inches.

The 7 series quite a bit more costly. At first i thought they were cheap at about £1500 but then i realized they sell in single. Have you had a chance to listen to them yet?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

5" the rest

12" subs

I presume class d?

JBL 708P - Active 2-way reference monitor with 120W/250W Class D bi-amplification

Thanks for the info. Ill be looking later when i get home. I think if i were to go for the 3 series, id go for the 8inches.

The 7 series quite a bit more costly. At first i thought they were cheap at about £1500 but then i realized they sell in single. Have you had a chance to listen to them yet?

Havent yet. Still early to sit in shops as stock and demo here. I'd have to blind buy with preorder.

I imagine 7 with those pro drivers sound very live and immediate compared to the 3 series (like lindsay's EV vs the ATC). But mind you even the cheap 305 are not that shabby. People with Genelec, Neuman and Event Opals are impressed.

Consider the 308 or 305 plus the sub 310S. That 2.1 setup will play very loud, very clean. Or any other active sub will do.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

5" the rest

12" subs

I presume class d?

JBL 708P - Active 2-way reference monitor with 120W/250W Class D bi-amplification

Havent yet. Still early to sit in shops as stock and demo here. I'd have to blind buy with preorder.

I imagine 7 with those pro drivers sound very live and immediate compared to the 3 series (like lindsay's EV vs the ATC). But mind you even the cheap 305 are not that shabby. People with Genelec, Neuman and Event Opals are impressed.

Consider the 308 or 305 plus the sub 310S. That 2.1 setup will play very loud, very clean. Or any other active sub will do.

And the newer drivers offer less distortion. Im going to phone around to see if anyone stocks/demo 7 series.

The 3 maybe a good cheap solution for now also
Thanks

Ill start a new thread soon with my new kit when it arrives

TRENDING THREADS